By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2020: Switch 2.1 million, PS5 800K, XBS 700K

Does anyone know how NPD handles months? Does it do it by weeks like vgchartz or does it calculate each day individually? 

If it calculates by weeks, how many weeks does it use for December?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I am just curious as to how NPD could relate to VGChartz data.

Edit: Kind of answering my question a little bit here is a tweet I found, but maybe someone has more specific details?

Last edited by dmillos - on 15 January 2021

Around the Network
dmillos said:

Does anyone know how NPD handles months? Does it do it by weeks like vgchartz or does it calculate each day individually? 

If it calculates by weeks, how many weeks does it use for December?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I am just curious as to how NPD could relate to VGChartz data.

NPD uses weeks and compiles months based on the NRF calendar, meaning that the first two months of each quarter are four-week-periods and the third month of each quarter is a five-week-period. So December is always five weeks for NPD.

The lone exception to the above is January which gets extended to five weeks every five to six years, because a year isn't exactly 52 weeks (364 days) long.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Marth said:

So PS5 was 2nd in revenue but PS4 was 2nd in units.

I'm suprised there were even enough PS4s stockpiled heading into the holiday for it to beat the PS5 in units. One would assume that Sony has been putting all their focus into shipping PS5s since its release and I was under the impression that the PS4's terrible performance in October was due to low stock. I suppose maybe it wasn't.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

• Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Marth said:

I'm suprised there were even enough PS4s stockpiled heading into the holiday for it to beat the PS5 in units. One would assume that Sony has been putting all their focus into shipping PS5s since its release and I was under the impression that the PS4's terrible performance in October was due to low stock. I suppose maybe it wasn't.

I've not seen such a statement for December. Piscatella made a statement about the PS5 having higher revenue than the PS4 in the whole of 2020, but the PS4 sold more units, and I think that is what Marth relayed.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Marth said:

We currently have no ballpark of the other consoles numbers.

Switch should be around 2M which also means it covers roughly 40% of the monthly $ sales, so the remaining 60% have to be split between PS5, PS4, XB Series, XBO and 3DS.

Around the Network
Marth said:

Is this for December or 2020 as a whole? It doesn't seem very possible that PS4 sold that good in December

derpysquirtle64 said:
Marth said:

Is this for December or 2020 as a whole? It doesn't seem very possible that PS4 sold that good in December

Pretty sure the original quote has got somewhat confused. I believe it was actually referring to "Ps4 2013" December NPD numbers.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

derpysquirtle64 said:
Marth said:

Thats for all of 2020.

It seems the new generation is slowly behind in shipments compared to last gen.

COVID has been playing tricks on everybody it seems. It's going to be a long time before we see the PS5 and XBSX numbers not being directly tied to supply.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I've not seen such a statement for December. Piscatella made a statement about the PS5 having higher revenue than the PS4 in the whole of 2020, but the PS4 sold more units, and I think that is what Marth relayed.

Yea looking at the original posts you're right. I just misunderstood Marth there. In that case there's nothing too suprising about that statement, and unless otherwise is revealed I would assume PS4 and Xbone had a very weak holiday.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

• Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m