By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are licensed games making a comeback?

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

I know nothing about the Marvel game, but it was made by Square Enix, a Japanese company, even though the game was supposed to be more of a western RPG, correct? If so, that isn't a recipe for success. But Indiana Jones, 007, and Harry Potter are all being developed by western developers for western audience so they have more of a chance I guess.

It was made by Crystal Dynamics, they're owned by Square Enix, but they're still an American company. It's no different from Sony owning Naughty Dog, you wouldn't call The Last of Us a Japanese game just because of Sony.

Also, I'd argue it sucked not because it tried to be a western RPG (that probably would have been really good actually), but because it tried to be a cash grab microtransaction riddled live service game that was sold entirely on the licence that it had rather than its gameplay.

Oh shoot, I did a simple google search and thought I saw that, my bad. And they've made the Tomb Raider a games which I've heard good things about. I take back my point.

Around the Network

Ubisoft just confirmed to make a new Star Wars Game (assuming its release year is the same year EA deal ends)

Here is the link for the ubisoft star wars game.

https://www-wired-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wired.com/story/lucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda/amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wired.com%2Fstory%2Flucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda%2F

Otter said:

Ubisoft just confirmed to make a new Star Wars Game (assuming its release year is the same year EA deal ends)

It is early on enough that it probably will, or Disney will simply pay EA out for the remainder of the contract. Still, it sounds like EA will continue to make new star wars games but just not be the only one doing it not. Honestly this is smart for Star Wars. 

They could have studios do a lot of games now such as:

Creative Assembly do Star Wars: Total War (Warhammer shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

Koei Techmo do  Sith Warriors (Hyrule Warriors shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

Nintendo could make a little Jedi game with younglings, starring pre-force-surpressed Grogu (before Anakin kills all the children). Make it top down like Animal Crossing and Links Awakening remake.

Just think of whatever a famous develop is known for and now give them a shot at making a game in that mold set in star wars. The possibilities!

I really want another Die Hard game. The ones on PSX were great.

Around the Network

Sort of. But ones based on an individual film or film trilogy? Those are all but extinct. They started dying around the end of the seventh generation.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

Koei Techmo do  Sith Warriors (Hyrule Warriors shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

I'd argue that One Piece showed us other IP could be succesful as Musou games long before Zelda did.

A Star Wars Musou would be pretty awesome for sure though! Seems very unlikely since I don't believe Koei Tecmo have ever made anything based on western IPs before, they seem to just stick to Japanese stuff, I assume largely for price reasons.

Hyrule Warriors was on another level though. I believe that within 3 days Age of Calamity became their most successful game of all time. 

the ubisoft star wars game announcement also reminds me that they've been working on an avatar (james cameron movie, not the show) game for a few years now with literally the same team they just announced for the star wars game lmao 

https://bluebyte.ubisoft.com/en/portfolio/the-avatar-project/

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 13 January 2021

Licensed games have always stuck around, the output certainly slowed though.

On Xbox One/Playstation 4 we had:
* Shadow or War
* Shadow of Mordor
* Mad Max (2015)
* Kung Fu Panda.
* Lego games.
* Cars 3.
* Star Wars.

Probably a few more I have forgotten... But definitely not as plentiful as the OG Xbox/PS2 era.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

shikamaru317 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

the ubisoft star wars game announcement also reminds me that they've been working on an avatar (james cameron movie, not the show) game for a few years now with literally the same team they just announced for the star wars game lmao 

https://bluebyte.ubisoft.com/en/portfolio/the-avatar-project/

Yeah, those expecting this Star Wars game from Ubisoft Massive to release anytime soon are in for a rude awakening. In March 2021, just 2 months from now, 4 years will have passed since it was announced that Ubisoft Massive was making the Avatar game, and we still haven't even seen gameplay for it, it is currently scheduled for release in Ubisoft's financial year that runs from April 2022-March 2023 I believe, with most theorizing that it will release Holiday 2022 as a marketing tie-in for the Avatar 2 movie that is releasing December 2022. Even though Ubisoft Massive is a massive studio with 650+ devs, and even though Ubisoft development involves several support studios working with the main studio, I still don't think we'll see their Star Wars game anytime soon. Best case scenario, if this Star Wars game just recently entered development, is probably a 2024 release.

What if the Avatar game and the Star Wars game are one in the same? What if James Cameran and George Lucas have created some kind of crazy plan for the past decade?

Pandora is in the Milky Way, but Star Wars is another galaxy. While it is a long time ago, that could just because of how far away it is to get to. If humans could figure out instant space travel like the Yardrats and Goku, then that galaxy could be going through star wars events at the same time as the Pandoran uprising. What is the source of the trees power? The force?

And what super powerful sith being now has no physical form that is in need of something new to regenerate him? Sidious. Back to destroy that Mary Sue grand daughter of his once and for all after absorbing the tree's power, and then preceding to go back in time through the Vale of the Force to also aquire the one ring to rule them all in order to gain even more power. But then he makes the biggest mistake ever and steps through a wardrobe to look for a witch that can, with one word, stop and kill everything. That mistake? He discovers th witch is dead and instead bumps into Aslan who simply looks at him and destroys his very essence because Aslan is the Son of the Emperor beyond the sea.

The End.