By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are licensed games making a comeback?

TallSilhouette said:

Maybe. I was going to say that publishers finally started learning that you can't pump out just any lazy garbage and expect it to sell well, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that all that shovelware just migrated to mobile platforms where the standards are lower, they're cheaper to make, and the monetization is even more predatory. I'm hopeful for games like 007, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter, but am fully aware we could end up with many more cynical disappointments like the recent Avengers game.

I know nothing about the Marvel game, but it was made by Square Enix, a Japanese company, even though the game was supposed to be more of a western RPG, correct? If so, that isn't a recipe for success. But Indiana Jones, 007, and Harry Potter are all being developed by western developers for western audience so they have more of a chance I guess.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I just want a AAA budget game series set in the world that Narnia exists in. Could be one of the book eras or something between. Open world RPG that has nothing sexual, or graphic, it's just about defeating evil and has great character development.

I'd play it. It's kind of a shame that no game developer has ever did a proper Narnia game, it's a pretty popular book series, over 100m sales. 

Dulfite said:
TallSilhouette said:

Maybe. I was going to say that publishers finally started learning that you can't pump out just any lazy garbage and expect it to sell well, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that all that shovelware just migrated to mobile platforms where the standards are lower, they're cheaper to make, and the monetization is even more predatory. I'm hopeful for games like 007, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter, but am fully aware we could end up with many more cynical disappointments like the recent Avengers game.

I know nothing about the Marvel game, but it was made by Square Enix, a Japanese company, even though the game was supposed to be more of a western RPG, correct? If so, that isn't a recipe for success. But Indiana Jones, 007, and Harry Potter are all being developed by western developers for western audience so they have more of a chance I guess.

It was made by Crystal Dynamics, they're owned by Square Enix, but they're still an American company. It's no different from Sony owning Naughty Dog, you wouldn't call The Last of Us a Japanese game just because of Sony.

Also, I'd argue it sucked not because it tried to be a western RPG (that probably would have been really good actually), but because it tried to be a cash grab microtransaction riddled live service game that was sold entirely on the licence that it had rather than its gameplay.

I hope not. They were sucking too much oxygen out of the room for a while.

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

It was made by Crystal Dynamics, they're owned by Square Enix, but they're still an American company. It's no different from Sony owning Naughty Dog, you wouldn't call The Last of Us a Japanese game just because of Sony.

Also, I'd argue it sucked not because it tried to be a western RPG (that probably would have been really good actually), but because it tried to be a cash grab microtransaction riddled live service game that was sold entirely on the licence that it had rather than its gameplay.

Oh shoot, I did a simple google search and thought I saw that, my bad. And they've made the Tomb Raider a games which I've heard good things about. I take back my point.

Around the Network

Ubisoft just confirmed to make a new Star Wars Game (assuming its release year is the same year EA deal ends)

Here is the link for the ubisoft star wars game.

https://www-wired-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wired.com/story/lucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda/amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wired.com%2Fstory%2Flucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda%2F

Otter said:

Ubisoft just confirmed to make a new Star Wars Game (assuming its release year is the same year EA deal ends)

It is early on enough that it probably will, or Disney will simply pay EA out for the remainder of the contract. Still, it sounds like EA will continue to make new star wars games but just not be the only one doing it not. Honestly this is smart for Star Wars. 

They could have studios do a lot of games now such as:

Creative Assembly do Star Wars: Total War (Warhammer shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

Koei Techmo do  Sith Warriors (Hyrule Warriors shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

Nintendo could make a little Jedi game with younglings, starring pre-force-surpressed Grogu (before Anakin kills all the children). Make it top down like Animal Crossing and Links Awakening remake.

Just think of whatever a famous develop is known for and now give them a shot at making a game in that mold set in star wars. The possibilities!

Dulfite said:

Koei Techmo do  Sith Warriors (Hyrule Warriors shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

I'd argue that One Piece showed us other IP could be succesful as Musou games long before Zelda did.

A Star Wars Musou would be pretty awesome for sure though! Seems very unlikely since I don't believe Koei Tecmo have ever made anything based on western IPs before, they seem to just stick to Japanese stuff, I assume largely for price reasons.

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

I'd argue that One Piece showed us other IP could be succesful as Musou games long before Zelda did.

A Star Wars Musou would be pretty awesome for sure though! Seems very unlikely since I don't believe Koei Tecmo have ever made anything based on western IPs before, they seem to just stick to Japanese stuff, I assume largely for price reasons.

They do the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, that's a western IP, also just so happens to be a Disney owned IP.