By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are licensed games making a comeback?

I really want another Die Hard game. The ones on PSX were great.

Around the Network

Sort of. But ones based on an individual film or film trilogy? Those are all but extinct. They started dying around the end of the seventh generation.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

Koei Techmo do  Sith Warriors (Hyrule Warriors shows us how successful another up could be in this mold).

I'd argue that One Piece showed us other IP could be succesful as Musou games long before Zelda did.

A Star Wars Musou would be pretty awesome for sure though! Seems very unlikely since I don't believe Koei Tecmo have ever made anything based on western IPs before, they seem to just stick to Japanese stuff, I assume largely for price reasons.

Hyrule Warriors was on another level though. I believe that within 3 days Age of Calamity became their most successful game of all time. 

the ubisoft star wars game announcement also reminds me that they've been working on an avatar (james cameron movie, not the show) game for a few years now with literally the same team they just announced for the star wars game lmao 

https://bluebyte.ubisoft.com/en/portfolio/the-avatar-project/

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - 2 days ago

I'm disappointed that Disney never made another Gargoyles game. Nowadays they could easily do a fully 3D one where you play as Goliath gliding around Manhattan and taking on villains from the show. It'd be Disney's equivalent of Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

the ubisoft star wars game announcement also reminds me that they've been working on an avatar (james cameron movie, not the show) game for a few years now with literally the same team they just announced for the star wars game lmao 

Yeah, those expecting this Star Wars game from Ubisoft Massive to release anytime soon are in for a rude awakening. In March 2021, just 2 months from now, 4 years will have passed since it was announced that Ubisoft Massive was making the Avatar game, and we still haven't even seen gameplay for it, it is currently scheduled for release in Ubisoft's financial year that runs from April 2022-March 2023 I believe, with most theorizing that it will release Holiday 2022 as a marketing tie-in for the Avatar 2 movie that is releasing December 2022. Even though Ubisoft Massive is a massive studio with 650+ devs, and even though Ubisoft development involves several support studios working with the main studio, I still don't think we'll see their Star Wars game anytime soon. Best case scenario, if this Star Wars game just recently entered development, is probably a 2024 release.

Licensed games have always stuck around, the output certainly slowed though.

On Xbox One/Playstation 4 we had:
* Shadow or War
* Shadow of Mordor
* Mad Max (2015)
* Kung Fu Panda.
* Lego games.
* Cars 3.
* Star Wars.

Probably a few more I have forgotten... But definitely not as plentiful as the OG Xbox/PS2 era.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

shikamaru317 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Yeah, those expecting this Star Wars game from Ubisoft Massive to release anytime soon are in for a rude awakening. In March 2021, just 2 months from now, 4 years will have passed since it was announced that Ubisoft Massive was making the Avatar game, and we still haven't even seen gameplay for it, it is currently scheduled for release in Ubisoft's financial year that runs from April 2022-March 2023 I believe, with most theorizing that it will release Holiday 2022 as a marketing tie-in for the Avatar 2 movie that is releasing December 2022. Even though Ubisoft Massive is a massive studio with 650+ devs, and even though Ubisoft development involves several support studios working with the main studio, I still don't think we'll see their Star Wars game anytime soon. Best case scenario, if this Star Wars game just recently entered development, is probably a 2024 release.

What if the Avatar game and the Star Wars game are one in the same? What if James Cameran and George Lucas have created some kind of crazy plan for the past decade?

Pandora is in the Milky Way, but Star Wars is another galaxy. While it is a long time ago, that could just because of how far away it is to get to. If humans could figure out instant space travel like the Yardrats and Goku, then that galaxy could be going through star wars events at the same time as the Pandoran uprising. What is the source of the trees power? The force?

And what super powerful sith being now has no physical form that is in need of something new to regenerate him? Sidious. Back to destroy that Mary Sue grand daughter of his once and for all after absorbing the tree's power, and then preceding to go back in time through the Vale of the Force to also aquire the one ring to rule them all in order to gain even more power. But then he makes the biggest mistake ever and steps through a wardrobe to look for a witch that can, with one word, stop and kill everything. That mistake? He discovers th witch is dead and instead bumps into Aslan who simply looks at him and destroys his very essence because Aslan is the Son of the Emperor beyond the sea.

The End.

With the well received batman and lord of the rings games, seems they've been building up to make a considerable comeback for quite some time.

Pemalite said:

Licensed games have always stuck around, the output certainly slowed though.

On Xbox One/Playstation 4 we had:
* Shadow or War
* Shadow of Mordor
* Mad Max (2015)
* Kung Fu Panda.
* Lego games.
* Cars 3.
* Star Wars.

Probably a few more I have forgotten... But definitely not as plentiful as the OG Xbox/PS2 era.

I can also think of others you didn't mention. 7th and 8th gen had some impressive licensed games.

With every generation I think you can find some solid licensed games. Meanwhile the shit went to mobile devices as its cheap to produce and has a large audience there.

Perhaps we are going to see more AAA efforts with licensed IPs, but its been happening.

Recently Completed
Zelda: BotW
for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)