By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bet Challenge #5 The Treasure of Monkey Island

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Where is the Mighty VG$ Treasure Hidden?

Clearing 0 $0.00 0%

Crack 0 $0.00 0%

Fort 0 $0.00 0%

Pond 0 $0.00 0%

River Fork 0 $0.00 0%

Village 4 $1,170.00 100.00%

Totals: 4 $1,170.00  
Game closed: 01/17/2021

edit: A friendly reminder that you don't have to know anything about Monkey Island to find the correct answer, this is just a puzzle themed with Monkey Island

Ahoy, Mateys welcome to Bet challenge #5. In honor of the rebranding of LucasFilms Games. This challenge will be themed with Monkey Island.

The Mighty Pirate™, Guybrush Threepwood, has left behind on Monkey Island a hidden treasure full of VG$ for you to take. All you have to do is follow his instructions and the treasure will be yours. Place your bets on where the treasure is hidden, all you need to say is in what area it is, no need for specific location within the area.

There are 6 possible areas where the treasure is hidden:

There is also this Map you can use:

and finally here are the Mighty instructions:

Well good luck!

All base images where taken from the Secret of Monkey Island video game by Lucasfilm Games:

https://adventuregamesbackgrounds.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-secret-of-monkey-island-special.html

https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/26970/

Bonus Question: What is your favorite Lucasfilm Games video game?

Last edited by dmillos - on 13 January 2021

Around the Network

Aww shit, only played Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge, so I'll have to play this one now before answering.

As for my favorite game from them, either Day of the Tentacle or Afterlife

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Aww shit, only played Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge, so I'll have to play this one now before answering.

As for my favorite game from them, either Day of the Tentacle or Afterlife

Thank you @Bofferbrauer2 for making me realize that the thread might lead people to believe that they need to know about Monkey Island to place a bet.

I just want to make sure everyone that sees this knows that all they need to answer correctly, is look at the images, the answer is there, you don't need to know absolutely anything about Monkey Island to solve it. 

I invite everyone to give it a try, or at least let me know of other types of challenges that you might find more interesting.

I can't figure this out. I'm tempted to bet 4 cents on a loss to finally round out my money total. As the years have passed, I have forgotten how my total ended up as it is....

Will go with Maniac Mansion ( C64 version ) as my favorite, because even though the puzzles were brutal, and I was stuck for ages, it was good, and the game that introduced me to Lucasarts point and click games.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Then my guess is River Fork

Around the Network

Oh I love this @dmillos . Thnak you. The sizzle reel for the refounding of Lucafilm Games sorely missed classic adventure games, hopefully the later revealed Indiana Jones will be one. And I think it is absolutely fitting to present a monkey island themed puzzle to celebrate the great studio that Lucasfilm Games once was. Thank you for that.

And for the game from that studio I go with Day of the Tentacle. Although Dark Forces ranked higher on my TOP 50 list I overall remember the studio more for their adventure games and Day of the Tentacle is the ones that condensed everything that was great about the LucasArts adventures. Or do you limit this question to games that actually released at the time the studio still was named Lucasfilm games? Then my vote goes to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (opulent title).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Oh I love this @dmillos . Thnak you. The sizzle reel for the refounding of Lucafilm Games sorely missed classic adventure games, hopefully the later revealed Indiana Jones will be one. And I think it is absolutely fitting to present a monkey island themed puzzle to celebrate the great studio that Lucasfilm Games once was. Thank you for that.

And for the game from that studio I go with Day of the Tentacle. Although Dark Forces ranked higher on my TOP 50 list I overall remember the studio more for their adventure games and Day of the Tentacle is the ones that condensed everything that was great about the LucasArts adventures. Or do you limit this question to games that actually released at the time the studio still was named Lucasfilm games? Then my vote goes to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (opulent title).

Hi Mnementh, thank you for your kind words and feedback. I am glad you enjoy the challenge. I feel bad because it didn't really take off as well as I envisioned it. Maybe it is best to do puzzles or questions that are faster to solve or guess. This one is pretty straight forward once you know what to do, but it is a bit overwhelming to start. 

Thank you for the three games you mentioned, I have to admit I haven't played neither of them, so they are certainly going up on my wishlist. Thank you.

If anyone is looking for a little tip, here is something that could help you figure the puzzle out:

Spoiler!
Each image has a hidden letter inside them.

dmillos said:

Hi Mnementh, thank you for your kind words and feedback. I am glad you enjoy the challenge. I feel bad because it didn't really take off as well as I envisioned it. Maybe it is best to do puzzles or questions that are faster to solve or guess. This one is pretty straight forward once you know what to do, but it is a bit overwhelming to start. 

Thank you for the three games you mentioned, I have to admit I haven't played neither of them, so they are certainly going up on my wishlist. Thank you.

I don't think your riddle is too hard. Guybrush put a step by step guide at the end, you just need to follow it. I solved it using a small piece of paper. But I decided to hang back with placing my bet, to avoid pointing others to the correct solution. But I am also quite sure that I found the right solution, as it is pretty much spelled out.

Whoever solved games like Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion (and it's successor Day of the Tentacle) or Indiana Jones back in the day, should be able to solve your riddle. Which reminds me: hey @The_Liquid_Laser , I am sure you can solve the riddle as well.

And for the games: pretty much every Lucasfilm games or Lucasarts game is a winner, or at least was back in the day of greatness for the studio. If Disney hires Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Gary Winnick back for the new Lucasfilm Games, when they can get back to old greatness. But as I pretty much doubt it, the new studio has to prove itself with new talent.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Pretty cool puzzle. Found it helped to not attempt it IMMEDIATELY upon waking up. Taking a cue from @Mnementh and waiting to bet, so as not to stack the correct answer for hyenas looking to profit off of my kill. Too bad there isn't an option to disable "view other bets".

- Just saw your spoiler. Noooooo. You gave away to much. Ah well.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 14 January 2021

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I guess people have found the solution by now.