By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: PS4 Digital sales greater than PC+SW+PS5+XS, No.1 in physical sales as well.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-08-43-million-games-sold-in-the-uk-in-2020-uk-annual-report

Total DL : 24.5 million

Total PHY : 18.2 million

PS4 DL : 10 million

PC+SW+PS5+XS DL : 8.1 million

XB1 DL : 6.4 million

PS4 PHY : 6.8 million

SW PHY : 6.4 million

PC+3DS+PS5+XS PHY : 5 million

Once again shows Sony's strategy with Playstation, akin to Apple or Google: becoming the leading marketplace for transactions and then taking a cut from each transaction. Xbox is really the only competition here (Nintendo misses out on a majority of third party games still), and considering UK used to 360 dominant, it shows how much the Xbox has declined compared to Playstation.

I believe Playstation will be even more dominant this gen than last with PS4, which may lead to the problem of Playstation having a monopoly on game sales.

Also shows how digital has overtaken physical and so relying on physical only charts can be misleading.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

I feel sorry for all of those people who were ripped off by Sony's inflated digital prices.

New games are roughly 30% cheaper physical than they are digital, don't get ripped off!

This is offset by games being on sale all the time, i just avoid new games unless im super keen on the game (FFVII for example)

Also where are you buying your new games, they're normally £48.99 against the digital £55

You Know GSD don't track NSW digital sales, neither Bethesda. 

"Of course, the absence of Nintendo games from the digital data does skew the overall figure. In terms of purely retail sales, PS4 was still No.1 with a 37.4% market share, but Nintendo Switch was close behind with 35.1%."

Last edited by Agente42 - on 12 January 2021

src said:

PS4 DL : 10 million

PC+SW+PS5+XS DL : 8.1 million

XB1 DL : 6.4 million

PS4 PHY : 6.8 million

SW PHY : 6.4 million

PC+3DS+PS5+XS PHY : 5 million

Where do you get these numbers?

From the article: "In terms of games sales by consoles, PS4 was the top-performing platform, with 39.6% of games being bought on Sony's last-generation device. Of course, the absence of Nintendo games from the digital data does skew the overall figure. In terms of purely retail sales, PS4 was still No.1 with a 37.4% market share, but Nintendo Switch was close behind with 35.1%." 

"The most successful boxed games publisher was Nintendo, which accounted for 20.5% of all physical games sold in 2020 (EA is in second place with 12.4%). The biggest digital games publisher of the year was Ubisoft, with an 18% market share (again, followed by EA with 15%). If we combine physical and digital together, Ubisoft was No.1 with a 14.3% market share, followed closely by EA (13.7%). However, as already stated, Nintendo digital sales are not included."

So, the numbers are not accurate and the Switch is basically selling as much physical software as the PS4 with no data on digital for Nintendo.

Last edited by Louie - on 12 January 2021

Around the Network
src said:

I believe Playstation will be even more dominant this gen than last with PS4, which may lead to the problem of Playstation having a monopoly on game sales.

With Nintendo being the most successful publisher in the UK last year, I highly doubt you need to worry about that.

Seema they dont include Nintendo digital numbers?
And what does this consider as a digital buy? DLC? Digital only games?
I doubt actual digital sales are more than 50% yet when removing dlc and digital only

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ka-pi96 said:
Otter said:

This is offset by games being on sale all the time, i just avoid new games unless im super keen on the game (FFVII for example)

Also where are you buying your new games, they're normally £48.99 against the digital £55

Physical games are on sale plenty too, and if you include the used market then they absolutely obliterate digital prices.

I don't live in the UK anymore, so I don't buy games anywhere there, but when I used to it was £60 digital vs £40 physical.

Limiting the discussion to new* games, I think there has definitely been a price hike in the last gen. Always use to buy games for £39 but now retailers start off selling closer to RRP :( 

But yeah its actually rude for sony not to sell digital games at a reduction

Louie said:

From the article: "In terms of games sales by consoles, PS4 was the top-performing platform, with 39.6% of games being bought on Sony's last-generation device. Of course, the absence of Nintendo games from the digital data does skew the overall figure. In terms of purely retail sales, PS4 was still No.1 with a 37.4% market share, but Nintendo Switch was close behind with 35.1%." 

"The most successful boxed games publisher was Nintendo, which accounted for 20.5% of all physical games sold in 2020 (EA is in second place with 12.4%). The biggest digital games publisher of the year was Ubisoft, with an 18% market share (again, followed by EA with 15%). If we combine physical and digital together, Ubisoft was No.1 with a 14.3% market share, followed closely by EA (13.7%). However, as already stated, Nintendo digital sales are not included."

So, the numbers are not accurate and the Switch is basically selling as much physical software as the PS4 with no data on digital for Nintendo.

There´s a reason Nintendo does not share Digital Sales, they are TRASH TIER level. 

Nintendo online is a joke, Switch has low STORAGE which makes people buy WAY more Physical Games at this point. 

Nintendo will never be able to compete with Sony on Digital Store Front, in 10 years time they won´t be making 30% of what Sony is doing right now (Check Financials).

brute said:

Seema they dont include Nintendo digital numbers?
And what does this consider as a digital buy? DLC? Digital only games?
I doubt actual digital sales are more than 50% yet when removing dlc and digital only

These are Full Games Sales, DLC is not counted here. DLC is other part of the market, same as Micro Transactions etc.

Full Games Sales can be either Physical Only, Digital Only or both Physical/Digital. 

Digital has crushed Physical now, Physical pretty much niche at this point & will continue to decline in the years to come, With Ps5 and Xbox having Digital Only Consoles which should sell to 30/40% of the market it´ll get even worse for Physical. 

Physical is already dead on the PC. 

With that said i´ll keep buying Physical Games FOREVER since they are much much cheaper to me, 80e for a game hahaha yeah sure.