By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated.

Around the Network

I'm 96% sure this is a joke, maybe not 97%, but definitely 96 or 95% at the lowest.

In all seriousness, though. It's difficult to rate all games on the same scale, given that there is a wide set of values in what makes a great game. Speaking, the amount of pixels to get from one side of the screen to the other has absolutely nothing to do with quality once it is past a certain point. The screen they were originally designed for must be taken into account as well; so, a game like DKC designed for a 1990s TV screen looks beautiful, but looks very pixilated on LCD screens that would be considered gigantic in the 1990. A remastered version of DKC games could make them just as they were before, visually. Design-wise, while DKC was cutting edge at the time, that's no longer the case - and so time has to be onsidered as well. Some games are also designed to be retro, and their graphical quality could be exactly as desired, despite having nothing more than 8-bit colours and pixel sprites.

Anyway, my writing is twisting and jumbling a lot of ideas around. If it's not clear, and you want to know, I'll clarify. But I'm going to stop here for now, I am sure many people can think of different standards for different goals and different genres. There is no one size fits all perfection. What Zelda does, in the time it did it, in my opinion is the best game I've played. But that's based on my own experiences and ideals, and I know many agree. But that means nothing for those who don't have the same ideals as this group I agree with for what makes a great game. I respect a lot of what Jim Sterling says, but his opinion on Breath of the Wild is insane to me, and I am sure mine is insane to him.

As an example that I am sure many here have seen at some point: You could say it didn't do dialogue sequences as in depth as the Witcher, but then there is a ton of stuff Witcher 3 didn't do as well as Zelda; they had different goals, and comparing the two in order to justifying point deductions is pointless - even if both games do involve a guy swinging around weapons in an open world.

I guess, the review industry is pretty much a scam. Especially with how they number everything based on some arbitrary standard that has no objective value.

And yes, I rambled on even further, so I'll stop here.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

96? Looks like someone isn't scared to get doxxed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I give it a solid 97.

I think the game should have gotten 98.

Around the Network

hahahaha

Imagine how bad it would’ve been if it stayed at 98 too; it was at 98 for the longest time until Gamespot (IIRC) balanced it out.

For me the game felt like a 99. One of the best games on the switch

Considering my only issue was the weapon duration. The games world and gameplay is one of the best ever. Exploring is so awarding.

Not sure why a metacritic score matters. Id put this game in the Elite 97 category. I do however think Mario Odyssey is not a 97, i liked it a lot but i think a 97 was too high for that game. Mario Odyssey is a solid 9/10 in my book.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 03 January 2021