By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

zkp said:

Breath of the Wild.
Empty World, awful combat, worst story zelda game , lack of any good characters, korean mmo fetch quests, bad writing. 97 for this game is a joke.

????????????

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
hinch said:

The majority I've played are merely just okay and thats fine. Doesn't mean they're unmissable games at the same time they can be good to great.

Its my experience with them, whats yours?

I find many of them very good. I am a fan of retro games, so I usually go for games inspired by older games. Like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Axiom Verge, The Messenger, Dead Cells, Blazing Chrome, River City Girls etc. I know what I like, so I dont need to try every game just to be sure. I dont like just walking around, looking at things and solving some mystery, so I dont play games like that. Now not all indie games I play turn out to be as good as they seem in the trailer, but they usually cost alot less than bigger games, so its not that big of a deal.

Exactly. Also, many indies aren't full of useless open world filler content like a lot of AAA open world games. So I can play them in decent time and try the next. So based on my investment in time and money I can try more indies than AAA games and even if some indies turn out to be bad, I just can skip to the next. On the other hand, many indies try concepts that AAA games forego (as they have smaller markets), so I can find that experience only in indies. Overall I think it is worth to play indy games, at least for me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

shikamaru317 said:

For me personally, RDR2 was extremely overrated. I loved the heck out of RDR1, tied for my favorite game of all-time in fact, but RDR2 I had many issues with. Main characters weren't as interesting, side characters and quests weren't as good, story was overly slow paced, over-focus on realism with eating to regen health, clothing for different weather, horse care, fast travel being downgraded, etc. really drug it down with tedious busy work. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it I was so disappointed. 

Though I haven't played it, TLOU 2 also seems very overrated. Having read what happens in the game, I can see myself being pissed if I had been a huge fan of the first game and then played TLOU 2, I fully understand why so many TLOU 1 fans don't like it. I feel bad for the fans of the first who hate the 2nd and now have to watch it winning GOTY awards, that would be like if The Last Jedi won best picture at the Oscars. 

Basically every game FromSoftware released this gen, and Souls-like's in general. I just don't understand why people like these Souls-like games. I really tried to get into Sekiro, but the difficulty curve is just too high, I just can't derive enjoyment from throwing myself at a brick wall for an hour or more trying to get past a difficult boss fight. How did Elden Ring win most anticipated for 2021? I just don't understand it.

A few others I found overrated at least somewhat:

• Horizon: Zero Dawn- It's a fun game and I am still hyped for the sequel, but it was overrated by critics for sure, it's a low 80's game imo. 
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales- I enjoyed the first game (though the open world activities were quite tedious) but I have no idea why this is reviewing as high as it is, it's basically a short DLC pack that should have been $20 tops, no playable Peter Parker (Peter Parker himself got downgraded with the new mo-cap actor who looks way too young). 
  • Zelda BOTW- People act like it is GOTG, but from what I've seen of it it doesn't seem like my cup of tea at all, weapon durability system sucks, seems too exploration heavy.
  • Mario Odyssey- Though I've always found Mario overrated so this should be no surprise. 
  • Ark: Survival Evolved- I really wanted to like this game because there are too few dinosaur games, but it all feels so janky and pointless. No storyline that I could find, progression system made no sense.

There is no such thing :p But true, the weapon durability sucked. Going through 5 weapons to beat one enemy is just stupid.

My oldest likes Ark a lot, yet he plays it together with his friends. It's a co-op game, against other groups of kids playing together. I tried to play it with him for a while but quickly lost interest. I enjoy exploring and building, yet the annoying tether system ruins it.  (ps4)

Horizon Zero Dawn really clicked for me. Nice sci fi nonsense, beautiful vistas to explore and for me, fun combat. It was a good year, playing BotW and Horizon Zero Dawn right after another.

shikamaru317 said:

For me personally, RDR2 was extremely overrated. I loved the heck out of RDR1, tied for my favorite game of all-time in fact, but RDR2 I had many issues with. Main characters weren't as interesting, side characters and quests weren't as good, story was overly slow paced, over-focus on realism with eating to regen health, clothing for different weather, horse care, fast travel being downgraded, etc. really drug it down with tedious busy work. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it I was so disappointed. 

Though I haven't played it, TLOU 2 also seems very overrated. Having read what happens in the game, I can see myself being pissed if I had been a huge fan of the first game and then played TLOU 2, I fully understand why so many TLOU 1 fans don't like it. I feel bad for the fans of the first who hate the 2nd and now have to watch it winning GOTY awards, that would be like if The Last Jedi won best picture at the Oscars. 

Basically every game FromSoftware released this gen, and Souls-like's in general. I just don't understand why people like these Souls-like games. I really tried to get into Sekiro, but the difficulty curve is just too high, I just can't derive enjoyment from throwing myself at a brick wall for an hour or more trying to get past a difficult boss fight. How did Elden Ring win most anticipated for 2021? I just don't understand it.

A few others I found overrated at least somewhat:

• Horizon: Zero Dawn- It's a fun game and I am still hyped for the sequel, but it was overrated by critics for sure, it's a low 80's game imo. 
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales- I enjoyed the first game (though the open world activities were quite tedious) but I have no idea why this is reviewing as high as it is, it's basically a short DLC pack that should have been $20 tops, no playable Peter Parker (Peter Parker himself got downgraded with the new mo-cap actor who looks way too young). 
  • Zelda BOTW- People act like it is GOTG, but from what I've seen of it it doesn't seem like my cup of tea at all, weapon durability system sucks, seems too exploration heavy.
  • Mario Odyssey- Though I've always found Mario overrated so this should be no surprise. 
  • Ark: Survival Evolved- I really wanted to like this game because there are too few dinosaur games, but it all feels so janky and pointless. No storyline that I could find, progression system made no sense.

To interject, not being my or someone else's cup of tea isn't the same as being overhyped. BotW was my cup of tea and for being my cup of tea, it delivered fantastically. Being a bad game and not being my preference are two very different things. There are many games that are not my cup of tea but are well worth the hype. Hollow Knight comes to mind when I think about it. Cyberpunk 2077 is a great example of any overhyped game. Even if it was your cup of tea aka the genre and setting and everything, it's still shit.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Ka-pi96 said:

Secondly, while you may not like Cyberpunk 2077, plenty of people do, myself included. It was overhyped, and it isn't as good as it was supposed to be. But it's still fun for an awful lot of people.

Isn't that exactly what 'overrated' means? If it means anything at all.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

I always understood overrated as a game with scores and praise bigger than what the game deserves

While overhyped is a game with higher expectations and buzz from fans, studios, media or community that just doesn't delivery it

One is more about quality hence ratings, other is more about expectations/advertising hence hype

IcaroRibeiro said:

I always understood overrated as a game with scores and praise bigger than what the game deserves

While overhyped is a game with higher expectations and buzz from fans, studios, media or community that just doesn't delivery it

One is more about quality hence ratings, other is more about expectations/advertising hence hype

Hmm, that might be true. But all these attributes are highly subjective. That's why in my answer I switched to most disappointing, clearly indicating the subjective nature of my answer. I get more and more the feeling, that terms like overrated and overhyped or whatever are used to camouflage the subjectivity and give the discussion a paint of objectivity. I don't think the question in this thread can have an objective answer, that is why I don't get all the discussion about games that are named here. If someone sees the game in question as overrated/overhyped/disappointing it probably is from the subjective viewpoint of said person.

I'm gonna go with Horizon: ZD. I thought it was a good game. But, it wasn't anything super special. People acted like it was one of the best games of the gen, like a 9.5/10 or something. To me, it was just a decent AAA game, like maybe a 7.5/10.

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Secondly, while you may not like Cyberpunk 2077, plenty of people do, myself included. It was overhyped, and it isn't as good as it was supposed to be. But it's still fun for an awful lot of people.

I don't consider overhyped and overrated as being the same thing.  Overrated is a game like RDR2, where it is a 7/10 game sitting at a 97 on MC.  The problem here is some people may buy the game expecting more than what they are getting, based on the score it has alone.

Overhyped is a game like Death Stranding.  The game was hyped to high hell and back, and sits at a somewhat fair 82 on MC.  However many found the game disappointing, because it was no where near what they thought it would be.  The issue here is that a decent game could have its enjoyment hindered due to failure to meet expectations, and can sometimes even result in a lower score than deserved (leaving it under rated).  Death Stranding is not underrated itself, but you get my point.

Having said that, it is possible for a game to be both overhyped AND overrated...but the actual definition between the two are very different.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Ka-pi96 said:
Mnementh said:

Not really. They're different in that you can only overrate a game after it releases and overhype it before it releases. I'd say Cyberpunk was overhyped (expectations were way too high) but definitely not overrated (few if any people are calling it an amazing game. Plus just look at the console review scores.)

Shiken said:
Mnementh said:

I don't consider overhyped and overrated as being the same thing.  Overrated is a game like RDR2, where it is a 7/10 game sitting at a 97 on MC.  The problem here is some people may buy the game expecting more than what they are getting, based on the score it has alone.

Overhyped is a game like Death Stranding.  The game was hyped to high hell and back, and sits at a somewhat fair 82 on MC.  However many found the game disappointing, because it was no where near what they thought it would be.  The issue here is that a decent game could have its enjoyment hindered due to failure to meet expectations, and can sometimes even result in a lower score than deserved (leaving it under rated).  Death Stranding is not underrated itself, but you get my point.

Having said that, it is possible for a game to be both overhyped AND overrated...but the actual definition between the two are very different.

I see merit in your explanations, thanks. I stand by my point though, that all these categories have a lot of subjectivity, as it is subjective if the games earn their hype and/or rating.