By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

Doctor_MG said:

I'm not sure why this is an argument in this thread, but to call a game overrated you absolutely should have spent time with the game. Maybe you don't have to beat it...but it should be an amount of time that is considerable. Otherwise you are basing your opinion on very little, and, in return, it holds very little weight.

Don't throw your two cents in if you didn't earn them IMO

Any popular game that isn't fun in the first 1-2 hours is overrated.  It doesn't deserve high praise.  You can call these games "fun but flawed" if they eventually get better, but they aren't masterpieces deserving high praise.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Any popular game that isn't fun in the first 1-2 hours is overrated.  It doesn't deserve high praise.  You can call these games "fun but flawed" if they eventually get better, but they aren't masterpieces deserving high praise.

Judging an entire game based on 1-2 hours is akin to judging an entire book based on one chapter, or an entire movie based on 10-15 minutes. The first hour could be dialog heavy, it could be tutorial heavy, etc. 

For example, I HATED Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in it's first two hours (even a bit over that). I thought it was extremely overrated and couldn't imagine how it got the scores it did. I kept going since I spent $60 on it...now I've put in around 150 hours and still going. To me that game is underrated if anything, despite my initial impressions. My only critiques of the game now are the RNG blades and the very low resolution/poor framerate. 

An opinion does not hold much weight if you didn't play a fairly substantial portion of the game. You can excuse it all you want, and feel free not to play whatever game you think is overrated, but telling everyone else that it is, well...that's disingenuous. 

foodfather said:

Uncharted 4.

I didnt love the first game, the gameplay was an issue for me but it did set up some great characters and the chemistry of the cast is fantastic. But the second game is a masterpiece. I've replayed Uncharted 2 a few times now and it's my favourite in the series.

Uncharted 3 was a bit of a let down, but it was still good fun.

I dont know where to begin with Uncharted 4. The first 3rd of the game is utterly boring and melodramatic. When it picks up, sure it's fun, but I miss the supernatural elements and overall the game was just bland minus a few set pieces and nice cut scenes.

Darn, 3 and 4 were so so-so and then everyone got on TLOU bandwagon, that after Uncharted 2 i even forgot those existed.

Red Dead Redemption 2- As already mentioned enough. Boring and Tedious. I gave up after 16 hours.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - I was really anticipating the PC release. It was the game that was compared to BotW, so I had high expectations, but after 8 hours I just couldn't move on anymore. I suppose the bad PC port did it's part. But what I got from the game so far is that it is pretty boring.

Dead Cells - After playing the game, I learned that Roque like games are not meant for me.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

People not understanding having a different opinion than masses vs a game being overrated.
Botw is like the favorite game of the generation of so many people. 20 millions for sure some will dislike it. Sorry it was you.

Around the Network

What I find funny is that we can make the same thread but with the best games of the last generation and most probably the same games will be mentioned as here in this thread.

xMetroid said:

People not understanding having a different opinion than masses vs a game being overrated.
Botw is like the favorite game of the generation of so many people. 20 millions for sure some will dislike it. Sorry it was you.

Humor us. What do you think a game being overrated means?

Dreams. Like... I know why people have it on a pedestal. The idea behind Dreams is beautiful and with limitless potential. But one thing is what it could be on paper... and another what it actually is. And right now, Dreams is nothing more than an ocean made out of thousands of unfinished projects, proofs of concept for different videogame genres, inferior copies of already existing franchises and little games that play like shit (with a few, VERY FEW exceptions). And honestly, I'm not surprised at all. There is a reason why not a single fan project made on Dreams has accomplished even a fraction of the quality that Art's Dream displayed (the game Media Molecule created). And the reason is: no matter how the enthusiasts and critics say that with Dreams making your own videogames is easier than ever... it's still incredibly difficult. It's not user friendly at all. Maybe compared to an actual game engine it is. But for for average players, it's not nearly enough. Dreams doesn't do a good job at allowing anyone create the videogame they always dreamed of. If anything, Dreams just helps frustrating people because it reminds them how hard and almost impossible it is to make their dreams come true.

Vodacixi said:

Dreams. Like... I know why people have it on a pedestal. The idea behind Dreams is beautiful and with limitless potential. But one thing is what it could be on paper... and another what it actually is. And right now, Dreams is nothing more than an ocean made out of thousands of unfinished projects, proofs of concept for different videogame genres, inferior copies of already existing franchises and little games that play like shit (with a few, VERY FEW exceptions). And honestly, I'm not surprised at all. There is a reason why not a single fan project made on Dreams has accomplished even a fraction of the quality that Art's Dream displayed (the game Media Molecule created). And the reason is: no matter how the enthusiasts and critics say that with Dreams making your own videogames is easier than ever... it's still incredibly difficult. It's not user friendly at all. Maybe compared to an actual game engine it is. But for for average players, it's not nearly enough. Dreams doesn't do a good job at allowing anyone create the videogame they always dreamed of. If anything, Dreams just helps frustrating people because it reminds them how hard and almost impossible it is to make their dreams come true.

So so true!

coolbeans said:

Hmmm...I guess it depends upon the emphasis going towards degree or pure number disparity from the gaming populace.  The results vary depending on that.

Recent examples like The Last of Us Part II would spring to mind, but that's weird to me b/c the difference is between 'eh...enough forgivable stuff to call it good' and 'masterpiece.'  I have three more flagrant examples from both critics & the community at large:

-Death Stranding

There's never been a safer 'love it or hate it' example propped up to gamers than Kojima's self-indulgent mess.  Sure, you can talk about being disappointed or just not digging the game.  But affix a score on top of those words?  You'll witness the dregs of Kojima's fanbase outnumber legit conversations of its design, intention, etc.  From a distance, I can understand some angles players take in adoring it.  Hell, some friends I've talked to really make me wish I could've experienced what they saw.  But that can only go so far after trudging through 40 hours of meandering.

-Detroit: Become Human

Granted, it's a bump in decision complexity over Beyond: Two Souls but I sincerely don't get how this story is so respected.  The elementary metaphors are so obnoxious in their execution that I couldn't help but laugh.  Gaming's collective respectability would go up a notch if David Cage retired from script writing tomorrow.  This coming from someone who would still happily indulge in Heavy Rain's melodrama on occassion.  

-Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

What currently puts ^this at number one is the raw numbers disparity between me and... almost everyone else apparently.  Slightly less respected compared to original LiS by critics while being absolutely adored by users, Before The Storm seemed like it'd be up my alley too.  I didn't love LiS, but appreciated its heart.  This is - bar none - one of the worst prequels though.  I don't even understand what there is to grasp onto that makes it so compelling for everyone.  It's less mechanically rewarding and it's such a rushed story.  To me, this feels like the quintessential example of saps calling a story 'emotional' & 'deep' just by having some nice indie music playing in the background during critical story beats.

Regarding death stranding, that's your loss. I've played every AAA game this gen and i'd have to put it up there in the top3. Or maybe the game needs a class of it's own, since it feels more like a out of world journey than a game. There is a lot more to it than just "meandering".  I've  seen the harshest critics and youtubers  who were vocal and shitting on the game and labelling " walking simulator" , only to play the game for a few hours, push on, and end up loving the game.