By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

I guess where I differ with Pokemon S/S is judging based on the game it was intended to be. It was never intended to be an ultra hardcore highly strategic adult game. Pokemon S/S is kid friendly, with kids being their main target audience. And for youngers kids the game is really good. My kids enjoyed the heck out of it. To me most of the criticisms of Pokemon S/S are silly. That would be like me giving Sesame Street 1/10 because it doesn't have blood, drugs, nudity and lacks foul language.

Being kid friendly doesn't justify lazy map design and a mandatory exp share usage. Doesn't justify the very strange decision on putting any Pokemon in a wild area to get easier to catch them

Neither remove all post game content to sell as DLC

Neither make the smallest story mod of all mainline games 

Besides, we still having the competitive side. Why destroy competitive just to put a new dumb gimmick like Dynamax? 

It's called laziness 

*shrugs*

My kids loved it, in particular they loved the EXP share, given they don't have interest in grinding.  Dynamax was a huge hit for them as well.  As stated previously the game isn't aimed for hardcore gamers, it is aimed at kids.  Put yourself in their shoes and evaluate the game.  My point on Sesame Street stands.  

I use Pokemon S/S as an example when people discuss Last 2, because both are in the same boat.  A large group of 'hardcore' gamers decided the game was trash before it was even released, many never played it, and many never played it with an open mind.  Both are subject to overly harsh criticism, neither are remotely close to being a 1/10.  A 1/10 is for something that is completely broken and utterly unplayable.  Neither S/S or Last 2 fit this description.    

Fact is Pokemon S/S stands at a 80/100 via Metacritic, with the lowest critic score being a 6/10.  Meanwhile the user average is a 4.6/10...  like I said, similar to the blind hate Last 2 is getting.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 30 December 2020

Around the Network
hinch said:

- Insert popular game not on my platform of choice.

joking aside.. for me, most indie games.

Maybe stop playing most of them then?

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Being kid friendly doesn't justify lazy map design and a mandatory exp share usage. Doesn't justify the very strange decision on putting any Pokemon in a wild area to get easier to catch them

Neither remove all post game content to sell as DLC

Neither make the smallest story mod of all mainline games 

Besides, we still having the competitive side. Why destroy competitive just to put a new dumb gimmick like Dynamax? 

It's called laziness 

*shrugs*

My kids loved it, in particular they loved the EXP share, given they don't have interest in grinding.  Dynamax was a huge hit for them as well.  As stated previously the game isn't aimed for hardcore gamers, it is aimed at kids.  Put yourself in their shoes and evaluate the game.  My point on Sesame Street stands.  

I use Pokemon S/S as an example when people discuss Last 2, because both are in the same boat.  A large group of 'hardcore' gamers decided the game was trash before it was even released, many never played it, and many never played it with an open mind.  Both are subject to overly harsh criticism, neither are remotely close to being a 1/10.  A 1/10 is for something that is completely broken and utterly unplayable.  Neither S/S or Last 2 fit this description.    

Fact is Pokemon S/S stands at a 80/100 via Metacritic, with the lowest critic score being a 6/10.  Meanwhile the user average is a 4.6/10...  like I said, similar to the blind hate Last 2 is getting.

I get your point, just need to point metacritic game scores for blockbusters are something in between 50 and 100

Almost no critic will ever dare to give anything lower for a AAA game, critics know they can't give anything lower and still getting free game codes before release. No reviews up to release = No clicks nor easy views 

Compare the scores critics gives to movies, it's not uncommon see 30, even ~20 scores. Artemis Fowl is a Disney movie and got a 31 score, I doubt anyone would ever dare to give such a low score for a Nintendo or Sony game no matter how garbage it is 

For me a 60 score game is already as bad a 40 for a movie 

With that in mind, this 80 Pokemon got kinda feels a mid-60 score for me 

I could easily agree to a mid 60 score for Pokémon. It should have been better in many regards. A simple difficulty selection would have been nice.

Ashadelo said:

Metal Gear Solid 5 (I played through the definitive experience on the xbox. This game I played off and on over the course of a year, last year and this year. It started off fantastic (the first few hours) , but it quickly went out of control from there for me.

I loved the graphics and the gameplay. The gameplay is by far the best in the series.
Building up your base was really awesome.

However, what I did not like was..

1) The story was really hard to follow, I hated how they had important story information hidden in cassette tapes. The codec from 1-4 was so much better. And for me, MGS games are all about the story.
2) Unfinished story, this again for me was a big let down, it felt like after mission 25 or so that a lot of stuff was just repeated missions with a little new story here and there (why on earth did they do this?)
3) The repeat missions and the filler missions really make this game not re-playable, imo. And MGS1-4 I replayed multiple times.
4) I did not like the open world missions in between story missions in MGSV. The open world missions should all have been side missions. Made the game so much longer than it should have been.

I honestly dont know if I will ever reply this game again, just because its not a fast playthrough like 1-4 are. Which for me is a huge bummer.

This was the game I was looking forward to most playing and ended up being my biggest letdown.

The unfinished ending, missing chapters was the sadest moment in gaming history, left me devastated ..

Around the Network

Breath of the Wild.
Empty World, awful combat, worst story zelda game , lack of any good characters, korean mmo fetch quests, bad writing. 97 for this game is a joke.

KLXVER said:
hinch said:

- Insert popular game not on my platform of choice.

joking aside.. for me, most indie games.

The majority I've played are merely just okay and thats fine. Most high ranked ones like Hollow Knight, Guacamalee etc aren't my cup of tea and not really worth my time. Its my experience with them, whats yours?

Also adding in BOTW. Played a lot of open world games and this didn't click with me at all.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 December 2020

hinch said:
KLXVER said:

The majority I've played are merely just okay and thats fine. Doesn't mean they're unmissable games at the same time they can be good to great.

Its my experience with them, whats yours?

I find many of them very good. I am a fan of retro games, so I usually go for games inspired by older games. Like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Axiom Verge, The Messenger, Dead Cells, Blazing Chrome, River City Girls etc. I know what I like, so I dont need to try every game just to be sure. I dont like just walking around, looking at things and solving some mystery, so I dont play games like that. Now not all indie games I play turn out to be as good as they seem in the trailer, but they usually cost alot less than bigger games, so its not that big of a deal.

Stardew Valley

Last of us part 2 easily first place. Uncharted 4, Death stranding, Sekiro, and Dark souls 2 come after

Last edited by icykai - on 31 December 2020