By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

Azzanation said:
BraLoD said:

So? TLoU did it against GTAV.

TLOU was a better game than GTAV and many would agree on. If Mario Odyessy released along side GTAV, it would have raked home all the awards aswell. 

Mario Odyssey is considered by many one of the GOTG. TLOU2 had no competition outside a niche VR title and Indies.

Zelda had to compete with one of the very best Mario games ever made.

2017 also had horizon zero dawn, resident evil 7, pubg, nier automata, cuphead, hollow Knight, hellblade, nioh, sonic mania, divinity original sin 2 and persona 5. So it was a pretty big year for releases.

Although I wouldn't write off doom, GOT or FF 7 remake this year.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Azzanation said:

TLOU was a better game than GTAV and many would agree on. If Mario Odyessy released along side GTAV, it would have raked home all the awards aswell. 

Mario Odyssey is considered by many one of the GOTG. TLOU2 had no competition outside a niche VR title and Indies.

2017 also had horizon zero dawn, resident evil 7, pubg, nier automata, cuphead, hollow Knight, hellblade, nioh, sonic mania, divinity original sin 2 and persona 5. So it was a pretty big year for releases.

Although I wouldn't write off doom, GOT or FF 7 remake this year.

Correct. It all comes down to competition at the time. Mario Odyssey would have cleaned up awards too if it didn't release next to one of the greatest Zelda games ever made. 

This is why i don't care about awards anymore.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 27 January 2021

KratosLives said:

Where were the flaws in the writing or narrative? And we don't really know of the 4 people who contributed to the writing, how much neil took part. Still doesn't change the fact how amazing everything in the game was. Like I said everything was well thought out and planned to fit. Even the slower paced moments, and lines of dialogue, was important. The facial expressions and body language is important. Things that I over looked in my first run, I understood more and appreciated in the second playthrough, and more so in the third. This is like one of those movies that you can watch everyday, and appreciate it more, that never gets old. 

I honestly can't see any game in the future topping this. Even if they come and make tlou3, this will still be a hard one to beat.

You don't seem to want to listen, but only to pivot some title out of millions to some artificial top spot for what ultimately amount to, insignificant reasons. 

I'm just going to leave it at that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Azzanation said:

Correct. It all comes down to competition at the time. Mario Odyssey would have cleaned up awards too if it didn't release next to one of the greatest Zelda games ever made. 

This is why i don't care about awards anymore.

With the way the GOTY awards show runs, and how people on here and elsewhere see it as the "official" end all to be all of awards, it just makes awards in general pretty pointless and worth peanuts when it's built this way. 

I can almost guarantee those championing this one game, will be next in line to go against some other game in the near future, when it goes to topple TLOU II, and even then, some will try to save face by trying to excuse their sudden shift in viewpoint by saying "oh it deserved to win", instead of looking at it's actual merits an value to the industry. 

This is why in the VGC awards thread, I was going on about how normies and casual folk only truly care about the "big shiny".

Last edited by Chazore - on 28 January 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

KratosLives said:

I honestly can't see any game in the future topping this. Even if they come and make tlou3, this will still be a hard one to beat.

Depends how much companies actually care for the awards. If they really want to beat it, its quite easy. They release their best game in a year with no major releases and BAM! here is 300 GOTY awards.. and those award numbers continue to grow higher and higher. Just look at the history of winners of last gen and look at the sheer amount of awards they all won, and compare that to the gen before and than the gen before that. Winning over 200 awards is normal now.

Also GOTY awards is not based as one giant award across every year. TLOU2 won in its year, if it released in the same year as Zelda BOTW or God of War or the Witcher 3 it wouldn't be cleaning up the awards like it did. Just look at 2020, MS's best game was Ori, Nintendo's best game was Animal Crossing, and the best PC game was Half Life Alyx which is niche as most reviewers haven't even played the game. TLOU2 had it in the bag, its greatest threat was Indies, a VR game and Cyberpunk which fell over the starting line. FF7 and GoT would never win the award due to the unpolished nature of their releases and Doom is awesome but its what it is, just another Doom game, nothing revolutionary.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Azzanation said:

I honestly doubt Mario Odissey would have ranked all the awards against GTAV. GTAV is the most successful video game ever and Mario Odissey was not even second in 2017.

The fact is you are, again, trying to downplay TLoU2 success, this time by pointing the only Nintendo game to win the overall GOTY in the last decade, while many years had very strong competition, like 2013, and TLoU performed even better than BotW even so, even being an older year as you having acknowledged as years go more awards are given, making TLoU feat being by all means more noteworthy of being picked out to try to give weight to the point you were pretending to be trying to make to downplay TLoU2 yet again, but then you would sound less with the people you are trying to get.

Here we go with the "You are downplaying this and that" cut the crap, I am stating that BOTW had massive competition in its year, and the awards were going to many other good games. 2020 offered only a few good games. Its all about timing. Horizon Zero Dawn won nothing in its year and so did Spiderman etc. If they came out at a different time frame they might have won more awards however it all depends on the year and the competition. Weather you want to acknowledge that or not, its simply reality.

You have a less chance on winning awards if your year of release is filled with masterpieces and Great games. You have a higher chance on winning awards when there is less masterpiece and great games released that same year. You don't agree with that? Sounds pretty obvious to me.

Like any competition, sport is the same, you have a higher chance on winning the championship if the competition is weak.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 January 2021

You guys are here comparing Zelda, Mario, and TLOU, while I'm just thinking God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 had to go up against eachother. Either of those games would've cleaned up had they released separately in any other year.

Thank god we have people so well intended to keep the happiness of the thread in check so we don't get to happy about the awards.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chazore said:
KratosLives said:

Where were the flaws in the writing or narrative? And we don't really know of the 4 people who contributed to the writing, how much neil took part. Still doesn't change the fact how amazing everything in the game was. Like I said everything was well thought out and planned to fit. Even the slower paced moments, and lines of dialogue, was important. The facial expressions and body language is important. Things that I over looked in my first run, I understood more and appreciated in the second playthrough, and more so in the third. This is like one of those movies that you can watch everyday, and appreciate it more, that never gets old. 

You don't seem to want to listen, but only to pivot some title out of millions to some artificial top spot for what ultimately amount to, insignificant reasons. 

I'm just going to leave it at that.

Don't want to listen to what? where am i wrong? 

KratosLives said:

Don't want to listen to what? where am i wrong? 

And this is why I've stopped bothering in trying to explain things to you, because you seem cock sure you're right, despite it being entirely a subjective matter.