By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 29 to Dec 5 - Switch Dominates Cyber Monday Week

I think Switch should be at 76M January 1.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

Because VGC is one week behind with its figures. What you see in the OP is Japan from two weeks ago.

Dammit, another result of me posting before my morning coffee brings my brain out of coma.

Haha! We've all been there many times =)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Sony and Microsoft both might have done better to launch PS5 after the holidays. It would have given them more time to stockpile units.
I doubt their new console demands would have drastically shifted had they held off until the late winter or early spring. But PS4's demand would see a drastic holiday season increase. From here, it looks like a massive fuck up on Sony's part.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I was hoping for a 1.6mil week so it can reach 30mil by the end of the year. Now I think it's nearly impossible since it would need to sell 1.75mil every week until the end.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Yeah it seems like the PlayStation brand is spent in Japan. Its doing not well at all right out of the gate. And theres no Vita or anything else to at least have a diverse offering. It's FF16 only that will make it sell a couple hundred thousand units more but it seems that the PS5 isn't going to be it in Japan, chief.

Around the Network

This is a very one sided holiday period I expected NS to be the best selling platform but not by a margin where it outsells every other active platform combined.

Eagle367 said:

I was hoping for a 1.6mil week so it can reach 30mil by the end of the year. Now I think it's nearly impossible since it would need to sell 1.75mil every week until the end.

Hi @Eagle367, I always root for new records, so like you, I wanted the switch to reach 30 million. I am new in the chat, so I am a bit confused as to how you calculate that the switch could reach 30 million if it does 1.75 each remaining week.

1) I assume you are talking about calendar year (2020).

2) The Year to Date of the switch according to the homepage is: 23,445,249

3) I believe that week totals count towards the month that correspond to the last date of the week (saturday). So in this month, december will have 4 weeks. 

4) With this week, there are 3 weeks left. 

5) Based on this, the switch needs to sell 6,554,751 in order to reach 30 million, or 2,184,917 per remaining week.

Are my assumptions correct? If so, I think that 30 million is pretty much completely out of the question. Even if you are considering fiscal year, then it is also highly unlikely. 

The switch has been a great surprise since the beginning, so hopefully it has another trick up it's sleeve. Next year probably won't see the same boost this year had, but something tells me that nintendo held back a bit this year so that it could try to either match or surpass this year in 2021. 

Hey Trunks, are you planning to update the front page graph with the generation totals to include PS5 and Xbox Series and sending all the other stuff to a last generation graph?

I know... my English sucks.

Oh my, PS5 and XBSX|S D0M3D!!!  

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

So it would seem we're headed for around 28 million for the Switch in 2020.
Not an all time record but still a massive total.