By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How to handle Eshop games if you're low on cash or uncertain you don't get a bad game?

Perhaps this thread might be helpful.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/237454/the-nintendo-eshop-game-rating-thread/1/

Around the Network

I’m already 1 year+ backlogged on eShop games, so I usually wait for massive deals on my wish list. To make sure it’ll be worth my time, I’ll check out a few reviews first.

Every week or so, I usually take a few minutes to go over the newly released games and check in on the upcoming list. If something catches my eye, I add it to my wish list. Some games are dropped the day they pop up on the eShop, so you can’t always focus on only the upcoming list.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

dx11332sega said:

Also Cyber shadow seems like a sleeper hit The pixel art does not bother me It's gameplay seems strong and I'm reminded of strider from Xbox one and PS4 Or the messenger on Nintendo switch

Ironic its a thread about Eshop games (and how not to waste money, and potentially get a bad one), and the first game you link, is one that has me think "that looks so indie, and dated, it seems like a waste of money".

Now granted, differnt tastes and all that.
Its just, alot of those smaller indie games, feel like their stuck in the past.
These low poly, pixil art small resolution, platformers.... are like something outta the 90's.

If your worried about wasteing money, go bigger.... usually AAA games dont dissapoint, to nearly the same degree as indie games will.
(buying AAA doesnt have to be super expensive either, just dont buy day1, wait until they get discounted (most games do), and you build up backlogs eitherway)

JRPGfan said:
dx11332sega said:

Also Cyber shadow seems like a sleeper hit The pixel art does not bother me It's gameplay seems strong and I'm reminded of strider from Xbox one and PS4 Or the messenger on Nintendo switch

Ironic its a thread about Eshop games (and how not to waste money, and potentially get a bad one), and the first game you link, is one that has me think "that looks so indie, and dated, it seems like a waste of money".

Now granted, differnt tastes and all that.
Its just, alot of those smaller indie games, feel like their stuck in the past.
These low poly, pixil art small resolution, platformers.... are like something outta the 90's.

If your worried about wasteing money, go bigger.... usually AAA games dont dissapoint, to nearly the same degree as indie games will.
(buying AAA doesnt have to be super expensive either, just dont buy day1, wait until they get discounted (most games do), and you build up backlogs eitherway)

Much harder to do that on Switch. Physical copies rarely have great deals (talking 50 percent off or better range), even the third parties, and they get snatched up fast when they do. Not even a week ago, I got a notification about Dragon's Dogma being on sale for half off at Best Buy. By the time I actually went to go check the site a few hours later, it was already sold out. Granted, it could have been four or five copies for the entire country for all I know, but that's happened with so many games I'm waiting to find an unopened copy of in a good sale.

Good eShop deals on AAA games are more common, but then all of the cash you saved from sales goes right back into paying for storage.

Change to Xbox instead and subscribe to GP

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Look at the OP's current played games and sig.

burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Look at the OP's current played games and sig.

It was more like a generic comment not really an advice

dx11332sega said:

I doubt it will be a sleeper hit. Usually those that become sleeper hits offer something that hasn't been properly tested in the market: Just Dance, GE007, and Minecraft all have this in common. Another type of game is one that takes something existing and reimagines it into something that makes more sense - Stardew Valley is an outstanding example of that. The neo-8-bit action title has been thriving for a while and is already stiff in competition it's doubtful a Ninja Gaiden clone will become a sleeper hit unless I'm completely missing something (which is highly highly highly possible!).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'd honestly stick to Xbox, PlayStation, and Steam if you're worried about getting burned. They tend to have better deals and game services anyway. Steam is full of shovelware as well though (like Switch), so you have to be careful there.

I'd be particularly wary about games that have almost no reviews, or mostly negative ones.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

What I'm about to say can apply to any digital shop or even retailers, not only or necessarily the eShop, so it might be useful for anyone. It's nothing special, anyway, but what I do when I don't know anything about the quality of a certain game is looking for...

1) ...trailers of the game. Does it look like something I would want to play right now or in the future? No? Out. Yes? Next step.

2) ...the length of the game in HowLongToBeat. How much theoretical enjoyment can I get from it? Also, do I want something that allows me to spend a lot of hours or something more condensed? Whatever the case, quantity doesn't equal quality, so next.

3) ...the game in Metacritic. What do other people think of the game? Scores are irrelevant, but the feedback of other users (if there is any) can be useful. Reviews from specialized media can also be useful, even more if they differ a lot (a good option is choosing one of the best, one of the worst and one in the middle).

If at this point I'm still interested, but not decided yet, then I took one last step: watching gameplays. Not whole gameplays, of course, just bits of them, focusing on anything that would make me hesitant to buy the game and seeing for myself how it's handled.

Then I just have to think about all of the above and make my choice. It may sound like doing all this for every game you're doubtful about might be a bit too much, but it generally pays off: many times I buy games that I enjoy a lot (even if they're not the best in their genres) and I end up putting a good amount of hours in them for just a few euros (even 1 or 2 if they're on sale, and I generally wait until they are).

Last edited by Verter - on 20 December 2020

I'm mostly a lurker now.