By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How to handle Eshop games if you're low on cash or uncertain you don't get a bad game?

GoOnKid said:

Perhaps this thread might be helpful.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/237454/the-nintendo-eshop-game-rating-thread/1/

Really need to get on and update the thread. Should have some time later today to do so.

Around the Network

You have an Xbox and all of the games you mentioned are on Game Pass.

Buy games in stores with a return policy.

Mar1217 said:
Jumpin said:

I doubt it will be a sleeper hit. Usually those that become sleeper hits offer something that hasn't been properly tested in the market: Just Dance, GE007, and Minecraft all have this in common. Another type of game is one that takes something existing and reimagines it into something that makes more sense - Stardew Valley is an outstanding example of that. The neo-8-bit action title has been thriving for a while and is already stiff in competition it's doubtful a Ninja Gaiden clone will become a sleeper hit unless I'm completely missing something (which is highly highly highly possible!).

If you want to pass on the fact that a similar NG inspired game like The Messenger was a sleeper hit on the Switch then yeah. Also it is pushed by Yacht Club Games so it definitely to get the backing of one of the biggest Indie studio out there.

I was under the impression The Messenger didn't sell very well after receiving a lot of hype; that's pretty much the opposite of a sleeper hit as far as indie titles go.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/318092-the-messenger-sales-are-just-under-50k-on-all-platforms-after-o

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This is why I miss gaming magazines, We had Australia's best selling gaming magazine an all format mag called Hyper for around 20 years and it had great reviewers especially Elliot Fish who is still in the industry involved as a behind the scenes expert and TV gaming show producer, and because the body of work of editorial staff tended to be lengthy with some spanning decades you had a long history of reviews to gauge who's tastes were closest in alignment with your own. also I also think it helped that the staff loved playing and reviewing games across all formats, I remember the Editor who spent 2 weeks straight playing FF7 at home so that they would not only have the review out for launch but also the 2 part playthrough completed he sadly left later on down the track to work for creative assembly as a designer. they even roped in their design editor to do review's of Wipeout games when they found out he won Australia's Wipeout title and set records.sadly this familiarity never translated across to online.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 31 March 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Best is advice is probably don't just browse e-shop with generic intention/open-ness to buy games. Only buy them after you have developed strong reason to, from personal word of mouth or playing with friends, or in depth reviews or game play so you know what to expect. Impulse buying what is in front of your eyes is a real thing companies try to exploit, so don't give them the opportunity. Don't just be directionless consumer, organize your time into activities that you direct.