By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game series/developers have fallen off this past generation? (PS4/XONE)

mZuzek said:

Yeah, Pokémon's the one for me. Went from being possibly my favorite videogame IP, to a franchise I now have zero interest in.

It's so absurd to me that they wouldn't have the full pokedex. It's in their catch phrase. Even if they were reusing assets (which it seems they already were doing), that's better than not. Gimped pokedex is such a joke.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

Pokemon Go killed the series, an now we're just watching it die.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Final Fantasy. This series used to be reliably incredible. XII had its problems but was still a great game. XIII had a terrible story but a good battle system that saved it. XV is terrible. That leaves me very apprehensive for XVI. (Side note FFVII:R is excellent so there's still hope.)

Signature goes here!

It's funny seeing people say Pokemon has gone downhill when Sword/Shield is the first time I've had any interest in the series in over 20 years. I can understand why, but the limited pokedex thing just never bothered me at all. Honestly, it just made the series more approachable to people who haven't touched the franchise in a long time.

On topic, in terms of developers Konami finally completed its downward spiral this past generation, and Ubisoft has gone from one of my favourite western developers/publishers in the PS3/360 generation to one that just churns out interchangeable open world games while abusing its workers on the side.

Regarding video game series, there haven't really been ones that I personally cared about or that I had played before which have fallen in terms of quality. I know there are some obvious choices like Fallout, but I've never played any of the ones after 1 and 2, so I just didn't care about 76 being such a joke.

curl-6 said:

Retro, went from a studio that makes great games to a studio that no longer puts out games at all.

Technically they released Tropical Freeze in the last 6-7 years, which most would consider a console cycle length (or generation), and that game has an 86 metacritic and an 85 on opencritic. Their quantity has been terrible, but as for this generation they did have one game that is highly praised.

Also, I have a strong feeling we will be getting 2-3 Retro games within 3 years as I'm confident whatever else they have been doing other than Metroid Prime 4 hasn't been entirely scraped.

Around the Network
homer said:
  • Mass Effect/Bioware fumbling the bag
    • Going from a critically acclaimed and loved trilogy (minus the ME3 ending grumbles) to widely panned Andromeda.
    • Oregon Trail in space is still a cool idea though.

The Bioware hurts really. They went from ME and DA, critically acclaimed RPGs and story telling into Andromeda (pretty questionable and buggy) and Anthem.

But that is what happens when EA tell a story based developer they need to make a game to compete with Destiny. Such a waste of talents.

For me personally, SquEnix FF division.We once had many teams making exceptional games, 3 a gen but this gen we've had 1 FF game, I didn't even buy as it was a spin-off renamed and a remake of one of my favourite games of all time except it's nothing like it. All I want to do is play FF again. :( Only game I bought willingly from FF franchises are FF12HD and FF8HD.

You know what actually, .. infact I'd say SquEnix Japan in general. Eidos are storming it but SquEnix Japan side? It's just remasters and long dev times from them. 

Last edited by The Fury - on 15 December 2020

Hmm, pie.

I am not including Switch, since I consider it ninth generation.

Paper Mario
-Sticker Star, Rage Quit on the final boss of the game.
-Didn't even play Color Splash. It was a financial flop, but got slightly positive reviews overall. I don't think I'll ever play it, since it's $60.
Super Mario
This one is much more minor, but noticeable. 3D Land, 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. U are a weaker selection than New Super Mario Bros (DS and Wii), and the Super Mario Galaxy games.
Luigi's Mansion
-Dark Moon may have a lot more content than the first game, but it's a little weaker. The first is a great game while it lasts, despite being very short. Dark Moon is good, but the controls, visuals, and difficulty spikes are all weaker. The atmosphere is weaker as well. I got stuck on Paranormal Chaos, one of the last missions of the games. I still never finished the game because of that stupid difficulty spike.
Mario Party
-Declined further from the 7th Generation. Mario Party 10 is a poor game that is pretty much the lowest point of the series. Island Tour is okay, but lacking. Star Rush is pretty fun, but could use more features.
Star Wars
-Fewer games for one. I didn't play much of EA's first Battlefront, but it wasn't fun for the hour or so I played. Battlefront II is a lot of fun, but I'm glad I avoided the disastrous launch.
The Last of Us
-Maybe it's cheating to put this one on here because there are only two games. But the first game is great. The second game is ok, but a huge disappointment.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Retro, went from a studio that makes great games to a studio that no longer puts out games at all.

Technically they released Tropical Freeze in the last 6-7 years, which most would consider a console cycle length (or generation), and that game has an 86 metacritic and an 85 on opencritic. Their quantity has been terrible, but as for this generation they did have one game that is highly praised.

Also, I have a strong feeling we will be getting 2-3 Retro games within 3 years as I'm confident whatever else they have been doing other than Metroid Prime 4 hasn't been entirely scraped.

If this was 2017 I might agree but in two months it will be 7 whole years since the last time they released a new game, and there have nothing announced beyond a title that may as well be vaporware. As good as Tropical Freeze was, 7 years of nothing is atrocious.

curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

If this was 2017 I might agree but in two months it will be 7 whole years since the last time they released a new game, and there have nothing announced beyond a title that may as well be vaporware. As good as Tropical Freeze was, 7 years of nothing is atrocious.

I did awknowledge it had been 6-7 years in my post, so what are you disagreeing with? That is also the length of a console cycle generation, so technically they have had a game this generation and one that's praised by most. Other studios had multiple games but we're all par or subpar rather than great. Which would you prefer?

They know they have a reputation for quality and so does Nintendo, so I think both of them want to make sure that anything Retro release meets the quality of Prime 1-3 and Tropical Freeze. Ideally they'd be able to have both quality and good pacing like Monolith Soft, and hopefully they have the kinks worked out by now and will start pumping out quality games every 2-3 years.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

I did awknowledge it had been 6-7 years in my post, so what are you disagreeing with? That is also the length of a console cycle generation, so technically they have had a game this generation and one that's praised by most. Other studios had multiple games but we're all par or subpar rather than great. Which would you prefer?

They know they have a reputation for quality and so does Nintendo, so I think both of them want to make sure that anything Retro release meets the quality of Prime 1-3 and Tropical Freeze. Ideally they'd be able to have both quality and good pacing like Monolith Soft, and hopefully they have the kinks worked out by now and will start pumping out quality games every 2-3 years.

1 game in a 7 year span is inadequate no matter how good it is. Like you say, other studios can put out a quality game every 2-3 years.