By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game series/developers have fallen off this past generation? (PS4/XONE)

curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

I did awknowledge it had been 6-7 years in my post, so what are you disagreeing with? That is also the length of a console cycle generation, so technically they have had a game this generation and one that's praised by most. Other studios had multiple games but we're all par or subpar rather than great. Which would you prefer?

They know they have a reputation for quality and so does Nintendo, so I think both of them want to make sure that anything Retro release meets the quality of Prime 1-3 and Tropical Freeze. Ideally they'd be able to have both quality and good pacing like Monolith Soft, and hopefully they have the kinks worked out by now and will start pumping out quality games every 2-3 years.

1 game in a 7 year span is inadequate no matter how good it is. Like you say, other studios can put out a quality game every 2-3 years.

Yes, but i don't think most studios putting out a game every 2-3 years aren't averaging that high on metacritic.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

1 game in a 7 year span is inadequate no matter how good it is. Like you say, other studios can put out a quality game every 2-3 years.

Yes, but i don't think most studios putting out a game every 2-3 years aren't averaging that high on metacritic.

Eh, I don't put that much stock in Metacritic personally. According to it, NSMBU is a better game than Tropical Freeze, which is just bullshit.

Mass Effect. 1 and 2 are great games. 3 is great except for the ending. Andromeda is just meh. Now they announced a new one just in order to sell the Mass Effect trilogy.

lol Mass Effect will continue. Sure, it will be exciting to see the CGI trailer of the game in 2024. Pathetic and such a shitty way to end The Game Awards.

Bethesda, Bioware, and Konami.

Bethesda lost all trust with Fallout 76. Most developers are allowed one bad game before consumers write them off so completely, but between how the studio overhyped and just how terrible it was, then their 'fixes' making it even worse, their fall from grace was as sudden as it was unexpected,

Bioware's troubles stem mostly from mismanagement by EA. It started with the controversies surrounding Dragon AGe 2 and Mass Effect 3, both of which are fine games in their own rights but the dumbing down of Dragon Age 2 and the terrible ending for Mass Effect 3 really hurt the company. Then Andromeda was a rushed buggy mess with a bad story and Anthem was plain bad.

Konami. If there's a company in the industry worse than EA, it's Konami. It may be that Kojima needed to be reined in, but there is no excuse for how they treated him, the way they seem to treat employees in general, the disregard they have shown for their franchises, ect. If they want to be a Pachinko company then just do that and stop pretending to be a video game developer.

Bioware, And it's not Even Close for me.

Mainstream WRPG's have gone down the toilet. 

Last edited by ishiki - on 18 December 2020

Around the Network

Have no idea why OP doesn't have CDPR listed in first place as the biggest fall from grace.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think we can safely say that CDPR is the winner.

It's a little too soon to say for sure, but they may be the all-time leader in this category soon.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Naughty Dog and Insomniac do imho. Even Guerilla is entering that pace as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

I said most. There are hundreds of game developing studios (especially if you include developing groups within them that work on their own individual game). Sure there are outliers to that rule, but most aren't pumping out an 85+ metacritic AAA budget game every 2-3 years.

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

I said most. There are hundreds of game developing studios (especially if you include developing groups within them that work on their own individual game). Sure there are outliers to that rule, but most aren't pumping out an 85+ metacritic AAA budget game every 2-3 years.

I do agree, reason why I gave some examples, because I know it isn't the most common thing (although Ubi have devs pushing reasonably good games on a 3 year cycle more or less). And Nintendo have great devs so it is entirely possible they could also be doing it (but I don't follow as close their release to list), and well there is a gap between releasing every 2-3 years to once per gen or once every 7 years.