By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA agrees $1.2 billion acquisition of Codemasters

Article

Electronic Arts has agreed a deal to acquire Codemasters for approximately $1.2 billion.

The acquisition, which is expected to complete in the first quarter of 2021, is based on a price of $7.98 per share for the UK publisher.

In explanation for the deal, Codemasters chairman Gerhard Florin said that both companies "have a shared ambition to lead the video game racing category."

"We feel this union would provide an exciting and prosperous future for Codemasters, allowing our teams to create, launch and service bigger and better games to an extremely passionate audience," Florin said in a statement.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson added: "Our industry is growing, the racing category is growing, and together we will be positioned to lead in a new era of racing entertainment.

"With the full leverage of EA's technology, platform expertise, and global reach, this combination will allow us to grow our existing franchises and deliver more industry-defining racing experiences to a global fan base."

When complete, the deal will add a host of racing IPs to EA's stable, including Formula One, Dirt, Grid and Project Cars. EA already owns established franchises like Need for Speed, Burnout and Real Racing.

Codemasters CEO Frank Sagnier and CFO Rashid Varachia will remain in the same roles when the acquisition has completed, along with Codemasters' entire senior executive management team.

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Another one bites the dust.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

With Codemasters being almost solely about rallying and similar fare today, that can only mean that EA will lease the remaining licenses for racing games, leaving the rest of the industry at a loss. Great news. More licenses and monopoly for EA.

Yaay that means dirt 5 is on ea play which means dirt 5 on gamepass! It's a win win really

Mummelmann said:

With Codemasters being almost solely about rallying and similar fare today, that can only mean that EA will lease the remaining licenses for racing games, leaving the rest of the industry at a loss. Great news. More licenses and monopoly for EA.

I'm inclined to believe they bought them mainly to get the licenses uncontested.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Poor EA only had 1.2 billion on hand. That $70 price hike really was necessary to keep them afloat.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I see what EA did here. Doing this takeover and announcing it while so many are raging and distracted by the last gen Cyperpunk disaster. Clever, EA, very clever indeed!

Normally I hate it when EA buys or obtains long term deals with anyone, but in this case I don't play racing games outside Mario kart and Diddykong (if they ever bring that back) so I'm not impacted, sorry for those who are!

dane007 said:

Yaay that means dirt 5 is on ea play which means dirt 5 on gamepass! It's a win win really

Doubt anything will change for Game Pass.

Pretty much every Codemasters game has been on Game Pass, usually within a year of release. EA releases their games on EA Play 6-12 months after release.

If anything, Game Pass will get less Codemasters games if EA Play leaves (which will likely happen in a few years). But if you wanna play them, you just have to pay a few bucks, so it's not all bad.

RIP

The conglomeration of the gaming industry continues unabated. Things will only get better for long time fans, and the newer generation will never know how much things used to suck.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."