By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA agrees $1.2 billion acquisition of Codemasters

WHY WHY WHY WHY?!
I cannot understand why publishers & companies keep selling themselves to ea & activision.
For how many companies has that ever turned out to be a good idea?

The list of racing games worth playing is gonna get smaller the next couple of years i feel...

Around the Network

I thought Take2 was going to buy Codemasters. What happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Nice, Xbox wins. Anything going to EA Play is a plus.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Signalstar said:

I thought Take2 was going to buy Codemasters. What happened?

EA showed up with more money.

$ 1.2 bn USD for Dirt 5 + F1 ? What? are they even worth that much? How long will that take to recoupe? if ever.

Also EA already has Need for Speed.
Do they really need 2 more raceing games? even if they space them out throughout the year, its too much.

Questionable investment imo.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

$ 1.2 bn USD for Dirt 5 + F1 ? What? are they even worth that much? How long will that take to recoupe? if ever.

Do they really need 2 more raceing games? even if they space them out throughout the year, its too much.

Licenses, one of EA's primary strategies to gain such a huge hold on both the racing and sports genres. Easily worth it long-term.

Mummelmann said:
JRPGfan said:

Licenses, one of EA's primary strategies to gain such a huge hold on both the racing and sports genres. Easily worth it long-term.

But why? I thought codemaster's have issues with sales (things often underperform as well).
Why pay $1.2 bn for that?  Just to close down the studio, and let the IP lay on the shelf, so they dont compete with Need for Speed?

Or are they planning to try and make the next dirt+f1 game sell better?
Was codemaster in some way/shape/form limited and needed EA money bags to help it make these games bigger in some way?

Chances are high (imo) that F1, Dirt, dont improve going forwards.
Neither do sales... and what comes next is EA shutting down another game studio (as they love to do).

It just seems like a waste of $1,2bn.
I doubt they can milk those 2 IP's for that much.

How funny would it be if F1 ended their contract with Codemasters next renewal. :P

Hmm, pie.

RIP Codemasters. RIP Dirt Franchise. I was a great fan. I guess... that's it then.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Well this is even worse than Take-Two buying Codemasters. Even bigger publishers is definitely what we need.