By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077

When is my 30fps locked Miracle Edition coming to Switch, ported by the legendary Panic Button? No one thought they could beat their Witcher 3 port until they released Doom Eternal. DO WE REALLY THINK THEY ARE DONE?!

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Shiken said:

Looks like an XSX win to me overall. Even with slight frame rate advantage on PS5, the higher crowd and traffic density on the XSX is preferable to the world itself IMO. This will vary from person to person I suppose, but performance mode is a noticeable trade off either way.  The frame rate on the X is mainly in the mid 50s under stress, which isn't too far from the mark considering you have more going on in crowded areas than PS5.

The XSX is pretty much locked at 30 fps on quality mode, and is the best looking console version to play as well with boosts to ambient occlusion, reflections, lighting, post processing and resolution.

Bugs still present in both however. I look forward to seeing the next gen patch, and will play a second run when it drops.  It will be interesting, because this already seems like a gen 9 game forced onto gen 8 consoles.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

It runs at a lower resolution, looks worse and dips more at the same 60fps target?

Unless you're arguing the 30fps is a win?

According to more recent comparisons it runs at a higher resolution on SX, has effects during some sequences like explosions missing on PS5, and most importantly has much more crowd and traffic density on SX. So more NPCs (way more from the videos we have seen), and a higher resolution and it averages 2-3 lower FPS than PS5. I agree with him that the SX version is the superior console version, not even bringing the 30fps quality mode into the equation because 30fps console gaming is beneath me now.

Its irrelevant anyway, this isn’t a real next gen battle it’s a BC battle.

numberwang said:
JRPGfan said:

Performance mode: (60fps) (on both)
PS5: 1188p (its usually topped out at this res) inherits settings from the PS4pro, so some settings are pulled back.
Slightly maller Crowds, less LoD On lights ect.
Usually around 60fps, a few times it dips down to mid 50's (at worst, usually when driveing).

XSX: runs 1080p, goes a bit under. Slightly worse image quality overall than PS5.
has occasional "Lurches" where it freezes (0fps for a few sec) until it resumes.
Has more dips, down into the low 40's (in gunplay).
But it has higher trafic density (more cars)

That is rough and we don't even get any ray tracing or advanced features. I thought we got 10/12 TF of performance here? No advanced RT cores and no DLSS is a big downer for these next gen consoles.

There's isn't a next gen update yet.  A proper PS5 and XSX version is scheduled for next year.

Right, the current performance is more like a floor for what we can expect, the real version will likely repack the textures using the nextgen hardware compression formats and actually leverage the nextgen GPU instructions and otherwise optimize for the hardware. Everythings interelated so it's possible one area could regress while they are boosting others, but given there is no optimization now with BC version, it's likely everything will be improved.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Shiken said:

Looks like an XSX win to me overall. Even with slight frame rate advantage on PS5, the higher crowd and traffic density on the XSX is preferable to the world itself IMO. This will vary from person to person I suppose, but performance mode is a noticeable trade off either way.  The frame rate on the X is mainly in the mid 50s under stress, which isn't too far from the mark considering you have more going on in crowded areas than PS5.

The XSX is pretty much locked at 30 fps on quality mode, and is the best looking console version to play as well with boosts to ambient occlusion, reflections, lighting, post processing and resolution.

Bugs still present in both however. I look forward to seeing the next gen patch, and will play a second run when it drops.  It will be interesting, because this already seems like a gen 9 game forced onto gen 8 consoles.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

It runs at a lower resolution, looks worse and dips more at the same 60fps target?

Unless you're arguing the 30fps is a win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW9UFDJoJ4

Here the comparison for PS5 vs XSX on NXgamer, which shows the XSX also has the clear advantage in visual fidelity across the board in performance mode as well with a slightly higher average resolution (XSX 2304x1296 to PS5 2160x1215), emphasis on crowd and traffic density, and visuals effects.  I asked JRPGfan to add this to his OP to better emphasize the difference between versions in performance mode earlier, but he hasn't done it for some reason.  DF is great, but it is always good to take into consideration multiple sourced when available to get a clearer picture as they may be testing different part of the game.  Also hotfix 1.04 was not released at the same time as PC and PS4 for the XSX/S, so there is that.  Not sure if that did or did not affect the DF comparison.

I also personally find quality mode the best way to play it ON CONSOLE, because not only looks the best by a good margine, but runs a smooth framerate at 30 fps.

In performance mode, the XSX is still on top with visuals across the board.  However the framerate is suffering because of it in this mode.  So if a solid 60 fps is all you care about, then the PS5 is the way to go.  To me, the cuts are too noticeable but that is subjective.

In the end this is not a power benchmark for either console.  It is not optimized for them and is being brute forced in BC to reach what we see compared to the gen 8 consoles.  I am just saying that as of now, I feel the XSX is clearly the best console to play the game on unless 60 fps is literally all you care about.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

30 FPS is smooth apparantly.

I've played a majority of the game in performance. Having a Variable refresh rate monitor is the killer difference here along with the decent implementation of motion blur.

I have yet to notice a drop at all. Feels like a solid and stable 60fps.

Random_Matt said:

30 FPS is smooth apparantly.

When it is a solid 30 fps, it certainly is.  With proper optimization however, I see no reason the same visual quality could not be achieved with 60 fps on both PS5 and XSX.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Well, this is one of those games that gets better the more you wait. I bet that by the time we start getting the first discounts, the patches have fixed most glitches and optimization problems.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

How many dozens of videos DF made about Cyberpunk so far ?