By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077

Azzanation said:

Pointless DF take, they should have waited until the actual next gen patches released. This info is pointless since neither is being optimized.

This is not pointless. It shows you how the game runs on those systems (duh), and it's still of great relevancy as there are clear benefits over the base last gen machines and their pro versions, even without optimization. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
SvennoJ said:

If they were doing their job they would remove the recommended badge or make it very clear that it only applies to the PC version.

Review or at least put a preview up of the console version (there was a DF video, but disappeared from the main page already)

Not pretend it's great on the next gen consoles "Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5/Xbox Series X|S: a night and day improvement over last-gen consoles?" Sure there is a ? but it reads like PS5 and XSX are doing the game justice while all they do is making the base console code somewhat playable.

It looks more like sugarcoating than alerting people while holding off the important information, how it runs on the base consoles.

Imagine the game had come out before ps5 and xsx were released, no crutch available to make the game 'run'.

They showed ps4 and ps4 pro, they showed ps5 and x, showed the pc , probably next is base xbox. They showed how shit it is. , Dont blame this turd on them. 

All I'm asking is, why are they concentrating on the high end PC version first, then the PS5 and Series. Look at the front page of Eurogamer. Yes they did a video about ps4 and ps4 pro, which is buried somewhere.

It's not just Eurogamer, there is not an ounce of journalistic integrity left in the games industry. The PS4 version has 1 review so far, XBox 2 reviews. Both from small sites. When is the last time it happened that 2 days after release of a major AAA title, there are no reviews for the most dominant platforms?

Considering the flack Halo Infinite got
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-we-should-talk-about-how-halo-infinite-looks
Why nothing like that about Cyberpunk?

MS made the right choice, back to the drawing board. CDPR had no business releasing the game in this state on the base consoles, and reviewers had no business simply playing along. Ok, we'll just review the PC version and leave it at that.

If only CDPR delayed the game to fix it before launch.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:

SvennoJ said:

It's not just Eurogamer, there is not an ounce of journalistic integrity left in the games industry.

Wow.

I. Am. Shocked.

I admit, my fault for still 'believing' in Eurogamer. Naive. My list of semi trusted review sites is now zero, freedom! :)

Oh well, Ian Highton is still all right, pushed into the corner to play with VR. Maybe Ellie Gibson will write something one day again.

Astral said:
numberwang said:

That is rough and we don't even get any ray tracing or advanced features. I thought we got 10/12 TF of performance here? No advanced RT cores and no DLSS is a big downer for these next gen consoles.

Next-gen native versions are not out yet. DF tested current gen versions running on backward compatibility of PS5/XsX/S.

I know but how are we improving performance and visuals if the PS5/XBX are already pushed to their limits with this cross-gen game. RT will likely decrease performance and res even more.

Last edited by numberwang - on 12 December 2020

Around the Network

PC is the place to play this. CD Project Red tends to be a PC developer first and foremost, so this was always expected, Witcher was the same.

If you want more consistent performance, get the Playstation 5 version.
If you want better graphics, get the Xbox Series X version.

The little "console that could" obviously goes to the Xbox Series S.

All of this can change when a next-gen patch releases.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I love it a lot on PC but damn, it's hard for me to tell my work mates who bought it on different consoles that it really blows your mind from time to time.

They really fucked up on consoles. Let's hope they can fix many problems soon but for last gen I haven't much hope for a decent result

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 12 December 2020

This game lost me when they said first person only. Now I'm certain I will never come close to this game.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Pemalite said:

PC is the place to play this. CD Project Red tends to be a PC developer first and foremost, so this was always expected, Witcher was the same.

If you want more consistent performance, get the Playstation 5 version.
If you want better graphics, get the Xbox Series X version.

The little "console that could" obviously goes to the Xbox Series S.

All of this can change when a next-gen patch releases.

I elected to play it on Xbox One X first, and while the performance gets shaky at times, mostly in city areas, it's never bad enough to truly break the experience, and the picture quality has actually been better than I thought it'd be.

Overall, even with all the bugs and crashes, the game has been more than playable.

At some point CDPR's hands were already tied and they were put in a no-win situation. They were going to be criticised no matter which route they took. If they had delayed it another year, made it next-gen only, they would've been flamed for deserting the current-gen systems and owners, while also turning an already 8 year dev cycle into 9+ years, at least for console.

Even just releasing it for PC now, that would be ~40% less sales from the get-go. Then what, another year before they can release it on next-gen at an acceptable level of polish? But then maybe another year after that, before they can reach the same level of sales they have now on console?

Realistically, even with hindsight, if CDPR could go back to early development and consider dropping the current-consoles right away, I don't know if they could afford to ignore the massive install base of 150M+ owners. Those sales are what pay for games with this level of detail, scope and quality to get made to begin with.

This isn't like Mass Effect Andromeda, where even with all the bugs ironed out the core game is still trash. Or even like AC: Unity, where the game was rushed out to meet an annual release schedule. They released this title at the earliest possible time, for people who'd already waited long enough and were eager to just finally play it, even if there were a fair share of issues, and weren't naive enough to believe the base consoles would ever run this massive game well.

Even with all that, if you believe current-gen owners are being fleeced, they are at the very least eligible for a free upgrade to the full next-gen version.

It's insanely hyperbollic for people to want to line up and burn CDPR at the stake for this. Honestly, get a grip. If you weren't that desperate to play this game at launch like some of us were, then move on with your life and you can always get back to it whenever it's right for you. No one's forcing you to follow everything that's happening with the game right now or watch all these videos.