By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077

Digital Foundry lost me when they implied a marketing deal resulted in more NPC's being on the xbox version. When the base PS4 was wiping the floor with the xbox one on cod title performance, I don't ever remember them bringing up Sony's deal with Activision/callofduty.......

lately DF has been giving me reasons to look at them with the side-eye and not just blindly accept their analysis like I used to.

They are injecting too much opinion, when we watch for facts and stats, they can keep their opinions, it only brings bias to light and blurs the overall message....no pun intended.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW9UFDJoJ4

Nxgamers video is out too, he has similiar conclusions as Eurogamer. Except the FPS advantage PS5 has seems to be bigger than what Eurogamer showed but XsX actually has a resolution advantage over PS5 in performance mode. Other thing is even if you drop frames on XsX you don't get any screen-tearing so I assumes most people won't notice those dips anyway.

Looking at benchmark for this game, you need minimun something like Geforce 3070/Radeon 6800 to enjoy this game, it should be enough for 1440p/60fps at high settings.

Yeah the verdit is still the same, but it kind of shows that the dynamic resolution may not be consistent between the two versions.  Here they found...

XSX resolution averages at 2304x1296.

PS5 resolution averages at 2160x1215.

However looking at the frame rate advantage, the XSX seems to be at more of a disadvantage than DF implied.  Their verdict is the same, but it applies to both mode now.

Performance mode has a visual advantage on XSX with slightly higher resolution, noticable density in both tradfic and crowd, and textures.  However the PS5 has a CLEAR frame rate advantage, and for a more stable experience I would actually choose the PS5 version now for the 60 FPS (if performance mode was the only option I had)

My personal choice however is quality mode on XSX over performance mode on either console.  The frame rate is locked at 30 fps, but it is rock solid and stable.  It has the clear advantage with higher resolution and better visual effects, and feels more polished than any other console mode available.

@JRPGfan please update the OP with the NXgamer video, as it better highlights fhe difference between performance mode on XSX and PS5.  The XSX seems to have a clear visual advantage here as well, but the PS5 has higher advantage to frame rate than we though.

When taking into consideration the higher crowd density and everything, one has to wonder if that is the reason for the dips in 60 fps mode.  Maybe if they scaled that stuff back to match the PS5 on performance mode, it could have also had a smooth 60 fps experience as well with a bit more of a resolution bump.  If people want the extra crowd density and effects, it should have been left to performance mode (where it can actually benefit from those extra bells and whistles).

In any case, they still have a lot of optimization on both consoles to do.  I have a feeling the "next gen" patch is a long way out, because they have bigger things to worry about.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Not sure why some of ya'll are going on about sales of the game and install base (considering that W3 sold more on PC at the end of the day, and PC is usually their go to system for their games (and it shows visually and numerically).

I have however found an interesting bit of info from Jason, as to why this game is in the messy state:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/j87tuk/jason_schreier_i_asked_a_couple_of_cdpr_devs_if/g8bxk68/

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It would be nice if they now actually take the time to make a real ps5 / xsx version instead of a next gen patch. They got their money, so now take the time to release a proper next gen version next fall. For those that already bought the game, make it a complete re download since the assets should make use of the new HW decompression on ps5 / xsx.

- Fix the bugs and glitches
- Proper HDR instead of faking it
- Bring the crowd density up to par with the PC version, more lively city
- Some RT here and there where possible
- 1080p performance mode 60 fps with improved TAA (current version doesn't do well at 1080p)
- 1440p to 4K quality mode 30 fps
- UI improvements
- Driving / car handling improvements
- AI improvements or add AI at least for pedestrians and cars
- Better balancing of skill trees and upgrades

There's a great game hiding behind a whole lot of issues.

SvennoJ said:

It would be nice if they now actually take the time to make a real ps5 / xsx version instead of a next gen patch. They got their money, so now take the time to release a proper next gen version next fall. For those that already bought the game, make it a complete re download since the assets should make use of the new HW decompression on ps5 / xsx.

- 1080p performance mode 60 fps with improved TAA (current version doesn't do well at 1080p)
- UI improvements

Well I mean, thats what the next gen patch is pretty much.  The only reason that it is referred to as a patch, is because we are not being forced to pay twice.  They will just patch all of that in, with potentially part of it overrighting old code with new, rather than just adding to what is already there.

Although I see what you are saying.  Control Ultimate has/will have two different download options available.  One for last gen and one with all of the gen 9 updates.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

How you getting 4k/120fps, Captain_yuri is playing at 1440p (widescreen) with DLSS and still cant get stable 60fps, he has Geforce 3080. Atleast from a post of his I saw. Also hardware unboxed says DLSS quality mode looks worse than native resolution.

I expect the enhancement patch to be decent, in BC mode, they are not using the architectural improvements from the GPUS.

1440P is obviously widescreen. - Tends to be the expectation when someone puts a "p" after a number in reference to display resolution.

I'm also not running it at 2160P, I have a 1440P+144hz panel, but I am using dynamic resolution scaling to super sample that.

Lets get this straight though, the PC isn't the perfect port, far from it, but it's several steps above the console releases... And having a Variable Refresh Rate Monitor means the game is never going to be a jerky mess... Which also means I get to avoid V-Sync which introduces input lag.

In short disabling/reducing the most intense settings are definitely the priority at the moment... Things like Volumetric Cloud Quality and Volumetric Fog Resolution are some of your biggest performance hogs that I dial back... That is if you wish to prioritize performance.
If you want visuals, then turn everything up to ultra, but I find it difficult to go back to 60fps these days.

I'm also a hardware enthusiast who heavily overclocks their hardware, the Radeon 6800XT is definitely pulling it's weight at the lower resolution bounds, outbenching a friends 3080.

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah, nah. As an Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and PC owner... If you feel the image quality is "better than you thought" then you really haven't seen the way it's meant to be played, the PC is a significant step up over the consoles in every single way... More so over the last gen consoles where by comparison the last-gen consoles look like a blurry, boring/plain, stuttery mess.

Sigh. Really?

Can‘t he think the game looks better than he thought it’d be without you boasting about your PC running it with visuals more realistic than reality itself? Not only this, but I call BS on your “4K120 at maxed settings” claim. But even if true, there is no need to tell him he is wrong for appreciating the version he chose to go for and for you to shove down your PC elitism down people’s throats when the comment you reply to doesn’t even remotely warrant it.

I don't often boast about the PC's superior visuals and performance these days, but it's no secret my preference lays towards the PC.
I have never attempted to hide that.

You can call "bullshit" on my claim, But I never asserted I am personally running at 4k120fps at maxed settings on the PC, just that the platform in general is capable of that.
I quote myself:
"The PC is pretty much the true next-gen experience as the only platform capable of achieving true 4k+120fps with all the visuals cranked up"

I don't have a 4k120fps panel either, I personally have a 1440P 144hz panel with variable refresh.

And I am not telling him he is wrong for appreciating the version he has opted for, as long as he enjoys it, I am stating a fact that is being mimicked all over the internet that the PC version is the version to play, it's visually better and performs better.
Digital Foundry even went on record that the PC offers a level of "immersion" that is simply not present on the console releases.

SvennoJ said:

- UI improvements

The game is pretty much a next-gen game, it's being downscaled to hardware the engine is simply not suited for like the Xbox One and Playstation 4, the patch needs to be issued for the Xbox Series X/S and Playstation 5 in order to optimize the settings for those platform hardware nuances.

So it doesn't make sense to make a "real" next-gen build, because it is already, it just needs to go through a series of optimizations and tweaks to showcase the assets in the best possible light.

Keep in mind that The Witcher 3 released in a buggy messy state as well and CD Project Red constantly improved, tweaked and enhanced the game to make it a very solid title, I expect the same to happen with Cyberpunk... Because like you said, they have made their money.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 13 December 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

- UI improvements

The game is pretty much a next-gen game, it's being downscaled to hardware the engine is simply not suited for like the Xbox One and Playstation 4, the patch needs to be issued for the Xbox Series X/S and Playstation 5 in order to optimize the settings for those platform hardware nuances.

So it doesn't make sense to make a "real" next-gen build, because it is already, it just needs to go through a series of optimizations and tweaks to showcase the assets in the best possible light.

Keep in mind that The Witcher 3 released in a buggy messy state as well and CD Project Red constantly improved, tweaked and enhanced the game to make it a very solid title, I expect the same to happen with Cyberpunk... Because like you said, they have made their money.

Well perhaps they can add some last gen features then like proper working HDR and AI for pedestrians, cars and police :p

What I meant was, re-lease the game (which they probably will like TW3) in a nice up to date next-gen physical edition.

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

Well perhaps they can add some last gen features then like proper working HDR and AI for pedestrians, cars and police :p

What I meant was, re-lease the game (which they probably will like TW3) in a nice up to date next-gen physical edition.

We will more than likely get a "GOTY" or "Definitive Edition" at some point no doubt... I rarely buy new games on release anyway for this very reason.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

Sigh. Really?

Can‘t he think the game looks better than he thought it’d be without you boasting about your PC running it with visuals more realistic than reality itself? Not only this, but I call BS on your “4K120 at maxed settings” claim. But even if true, there is no need to tell him he is wrong for appreciating the version he chose to go for and for you to shove down your PC elitism down people’s throats when the comment you reply to doesn’t even remotely warrant it.

I don't often boast about the PC's superior visuals and performance these days, but it's no secret my preference lays towards the PC.
I have never attempted to hide that.

You can call "bullshit" on my claim, But I never asserted I am personally running at 4k120fps at maxed settings on the PC, just that the platform in general is capable of that.
I quote myself:
"The PC is pretty much the true next-gen experience as the only platform capable of achieving true 4k+120fps with all the visuals cranked up"

I don't have a 4k120fps panel either, I personally have a 1440P 144hz panel with variable refresh.

And I am not telling him he is wrong for appreciating the version he has opted for, as long as he enjoys it, I am stating a fact that is being mimicked all over the internet that the PC version is the version to play, it's visually better and performs better.
Digital Foundry even went on record that the PC offers a level of "immersion" that is simply not present on the console releases.

I was never trying to dispute that. It's only because you mentioned performance on some of the consoles, that I thought it was worth adding my experience with the Xbox One X so far. For you to seemingly snap back at me for that, like I'd somehow said something wrong, definitely felt unecessary and borderline hostile. Didn't bother me as much, but Hynad has a point.

Shiken said:

Looks like an XSX win to me overall. Even with slight frame rate advantage on PS5, the higher crowd and traffic density on the XSX is preferable to the world itself IMO. This will vary from person to person I suppose, but performance mode is a noticeable trade off either way.  The frame rate on the X is mainly in the mid 50s under stress, which isn't too far from the mark considering you have more going on in crowded areas than PS5.

The XSX is pretty much locked at 30 fps on quality mode, and is the best looking console version to play as well with boosts to ambient occlusion, reflections, lighting, post processing and resolution.

Bugs still present in both however. I look forward to seeing the next gen patch, and will play a second run when it drops.  It will be interesting, because this already seems like a gen 9 game forced onto gen 8 consoles.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

It runs at a lower resolution, looks worse and dips more at the same 60fps target?

Unless you're arguing the 30fps is a win?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'