By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2020)

What cringe are you excited about?

Confusing game trailers 4 15.38%

A game you like winning t... 1 3.85%

Josef Fares going insane once again 4 15.38%

Geoff Keighley looking uncomfortable 9 34.62%

Hydrobot’s Revenge 1 3.85%

Awkward backstage attendee interviews 0 0%

Cliff Bleszinski insulting PC gamers 0 0%

Hideo Kojima barred entry once again 1 3.85%

Watching someone use a VR and actin’ a fool 0 0%

The unknown cringe 6 23.08%

Total:26
abronn627 said:
hinch said:

More info on Mass Effect. N7 debris confirms full sequel. (I'll take what I can get without going to leaks/spoilers)

As a fan of the series, hell yes!

The destroyed Mass Relay is more telling than the helmet 😂

Yeah, seems as though you also "fly" through the citadel debris about half way into the trailer too.

Pretty cool stuff.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
ironmanDX said:

How does the voting work?

For all awards except for People's choice, there is a jury of voters made up of gaming critics, and then they also take in audience votes for them. It's weighted 90% critic, 10% audience though, so the audience gets barely any say on these awards with only 10% voting power. Basically whatever the critics like wins. And a ton of gaming critics lean in a certain direction politically....

The audience wanted Tsushima to win, which was why it won people's choice, but the critics adore TLOU 2. 

Is there any evidence gaming critics are left-leaning? Like... at all? 

I totally understand fans being pissed with TLOU. If anything fans have a reason to be fans, and when you advertise a game with fake teasers and kills their favorite character the rage is unavoidable 

Critics however feel no sense of attachment whatsoever to this game or this franchise including characters like Joel, for them a daring plot line and subversive twists are more important (and of course technical aspects, though nobody questions those merits)

ironmanDX said:
hinch said:

More info on Mass Effect. N7 debris confirms full sequel. (I'll take what I can get without going to leaks/spoilers)

As a fan of the series, hell yes!

Are you cautiously optimistic? 

Why lol. Excited all the same.

I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed Andromeda

shikamaru317 said:
ironmanDX said:

How does the voting work?

For all awards except for People's choice, there is a jury of voters made up of gaming critics, and then they also take in audience votes for them. It's weighted 90% critic, 10% audience though, so the audience gets barely any say on these awards with only 10% voting power. Basically whatever the critics like wins. And a ton of gaming critics lean in a certain direction politically....

The audience wanted Tsushima to win, which was why it won people's choice, but the critics adore TLOU 2. 

Now, did the audience really think Tsushima was THAT good? Did the game REALLY earn those votes on its own merits?

Or did they just want to fuck over Last of Us 2 because it didn't turn out exactly like they wanted it to and they're STILL butthurt about it?

hinch said:
ironmanDX said:

Are you cautiously optimistic? 

Why lol. Excited all the same.

I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed Andromeda

As did I. I'd rate it the lowest of the Mass Effect games but it was still really enjoyable. Played through twice and got all the Achievements.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
shikamaru317 said:

That explains why Animal Crossing barely got squat. -_-

I suspect Nintendo doesn't care as Animal Crossing sold many more copies than TLOU, which indicates more people liked it. If they get snubbed by artsy-fartsy critics, but the people are behind them, then it's a win. Would it be nice for them to win with the critics too? For sure. I think ACNH really helped a TON of people get through all the isolation periods of the last year and it is a calm, relaxing game, as opposed to so many other games which are stressful and anxiety producing.

ironmanDX said:
shikamaru317 said:

A 90-10 split... Jesus...

Should be more balanced than that. I think the critics should have the bigger slice but 90-10 makes the voting system virtually pointless.

Tbh I find voting system so pointless, they are made only for social media engagement. If they want to measure what public likes they should use sales instead it's a much more reliable metric than a poll almost nobody except intenet fanboys loses their time over. And we have no way to prove the people who voted actually played the game they voted for, could instead just vote for a game they don't like not win 

And of course sales-wise Aninal Crossing eats both GoT and TLOU combined, I don't think anybody will disagree that public choice is clearly Aninal Crossing, not Ghost of Tsushima 

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

I hope Nintendo have more to show at the VGAs than just a Smash character and Wii U port, but I'm not getting my hopes up as their showings there have been kinda weak for the last few years.

EDIT: Nvm, new Monster Hunter Rise trailer, Capcom to the rescue haha.

Wii U port? Which one is it now?

PAOerfulone said:

It's fucking SEPHIROTH!!! If you're not hyped by this, you just don't get it.

Besides, we need more Villain representation. All we've got are Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, K.Rool, Ridley, and Wolf. 

Now if only we got Dr. Robotnik.

So, since Animal Crossing didn't win Game of The Year, based on everything Naughty Dog got, who won Game of The Year? (It should've been Animal Crossing New Horizons. -_-)

The Wii U Monster Hunter was a port of a 3DS game.

MH Rise is a brand new game using RE Engine for Switch made with Switch hardware in mind.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

PAOerfulone said:
shikamaru317 said:

Now, did the audience really think Tsushima was THAT good? Did the game REALLY earn those votes on its own merits?

Or did they just want to fuck over Last of Us 2 because it didn't turn out exactly like they wanted it to and they're STILL butthurt about it?

maybe people just liked it more, personally i have no interest in tsushima but I heard a lot more positivity about it than TLOU 2. for me TLOU 2 fell flat as a narrative and did exactly what i was afraid a sequel would do. I was always of the opinion that the original should have been left alone. my other big issue was the pacing. the game was around 10 hours to long

I saw plenty of videos on YT and hundreds of threads on 4Chan, Reddit and more begging to vote for Ghost of Tsushima to win players choice.

It’s not like gamers wanted GOT to win, some people really hate part II that much and didn’t want to win the award.

But the salty tears will be HUGE!!