By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2020)

What cringe are you excited about?

Confusing game trailers 4 15.38%

A game you like winning t... 1 3.85%

Josef Fares going insane once again 4 15.38%

Geoff Keighley looking uncomfortable 9 34.62%

Hydrobot’s Revenge 1 3.85%

Awkward backstage attendee interviews 0 0%

Cliff Bleszinski insulting PC gamers 0 0%

Hideo Kojima barred entry once again 1 3.85%

Watching someone use a VR and actin’ a fool 0 0%

The unknown cringe 6 23.08%

Total:26

the famous people who don't actually care about video games but accepted the promo money so we have to watch them pretend to muster up a hint of excitement

flashbacks to EA's battlefield 1 celeb gameplay

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
PAOerfulone said:

You left out the biggest option of all:

All the salty tears and bitching online when Last of Us 2 wins Game of the Year.

I don't know if it will. I don't thing TGA is woke-leaning politically speaking, I could be wrong and maybe they are. There have been a enough Nintendo nominations and awards that I feel like they are fairly center, politically speaking, considering Nintendo games are about as anti woke as games can get.

It may just win because it's a good game with the highest metacritic score of the nominees....could be that too.

And now I'm curious, what would you say makes Nintendo games the most "anti woke"? 

I have a feeling it will be as shit as every single VGA on Spike TV. This looks like a shit year to watch

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

After 6 months we still have the “anything but part II to win goty” whinging but not real reasons about why it doesn’t deserve it.

Only the too woke or the same whinging.

Still, Hades has a chance to win, a fantastic game, but I reckon they don’t want the backlash from the haters!

Jpcc86 said:
Dulfite said:

I don't know if it will. I don't thing TGA is woke-leaning politically speaking, I could be wrong and maybe they are. There have been a enough Nintendo nominations and awards that I feel like they are fairly center, politically speaking, considering Nintendo games are about as anti woke as games can get.

Leaving everything you said about "woke-politics" aside, many would argue TLOU2 should win for its own merits as a videogame. Not me tho, but many would.

Well I haven't played the game so I don't have an opinion, but I have read others comments about how the plot makes little sense with certain parts and how the gameplay is boring. But I don't have any thoughts on the matter.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

Don't really see how their political views should have any impact on what game wins the award, though I do think they won't give it to The Last of Us Part 2 because they wanna avoid controversy. Honestly, I hope it does win GOTY, because if it doesn't, all the haters will feel they've impacted something. And if these haters are hating on the game because they hate "woke-leaning" politics, they deserve no merit for anything.

Personally I don't care either way for which game wins the thing, I'm just annoyed Ori didn't get the nomination. My opinion probably isn't worth much since I've only played two games released in 2020, but one of these two is in the list and is completely undeserving of it in my opinion.

Well my Goty is Bug Fables and no on is talking about that so I'm really out of the mainstream haha.

Torillian said:
Dulfite said:

It may just win because it's a good game with the highest metacritic score of the nominees....could be that too.

And now I'm curious, what would you say makes Nintendo games the most "anti woke"? 

White plumber (higher paid working class) saving a blonde, tall princess and making tons of money along the way. Samus is a tall blonde that has model-like physique. They have, almost exclusively, feminine and masculine characters. By the way, I'm not saying what my opinions are on this here because I don't want people trying to argue this way or that, simply answering how I think Nintendo is very traditional.

axumblade said:
Dulfite said:

I mean, so far, The Last of Us Part II and Hades are neck and neck in regards to winning GOTY honors. With the only other games receiving honors being Ghost of Tsushima and Final Fantasy VII. 

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2020/10/2020-game-of-year.html?m=1

Furthermore, I find it ridiculous that if TLOU2 wins or even loses Game of the Year, it's becomes some sort of a political statement instead of a regard of the quality of the game based off your comment.

This coming from a person that wants Ghost of Tsushima to win GOTY and played Animal Crossing more than any other game this year...

Oh I don't necessarily think it will win or lose based on politics. Someone else brought that up earlier and I simply brought in the term "woke" to the thread. I doubt anyone voting on these awards will penalize it for being a woke game.

I think New Horizons should win GOTY in this ceremony just because the other options are way too predictable, might as well bring some shock to the table.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Never watched TGA and probably never will, doesn't sound like my cup of tea - I prefer events that mercilessly throw games at my face. A bit of talk, interviews with developers, some making of... All that is fine, but show for the sake of show is something I don't particularly enjoy.

But... if someone will be posting info about The Game Awards in real time (like I believe someone did last year), I may be following the beginning of the show via VGChartz.

I'm mostly a lurker now.