By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2020 Golden Joystick Awards- The Last of Us 2 Wins Ultimate Game of the Year!

DonFerrari said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

I did not know that many people were confused because of TLoU2. It seemed easy enough to follow.

There are on the other hand many reasons why people were pissed about it. Like Joel not having a bigger part in the game, or playing as somebody they hated, or running over such a short span of time that no meaningful relationships could form, or sidestories that were not well received, etc. Not saying these are my reasons.

Also, you seem to suggest that the game being obvious and people being pissed about it are mutually exclusive. I do not think so. To me, a game can easily be all three things we brought up: obvious, infuriating, and even confusing.

Why did I call it obvious (some spoilers, be warned): it was clear from the very beginning that the fireflies would be a big part of the game. How those people are designed immediately gave the impression that they are more important than your throw away goon. Also you already play as Abby in the first hour of the game. And she was the focal point of one of their biggest trailers (their marketing). Long story short: yeah, it was obvious that they were trying to paint a group of people as evil just to later reveal that they are, in fact, human, and that there is always another side to things, and that forgiving is hard, blah, blah, blah. I just had to roll my eyes so much. Really boring masseging.

And dont get me wrong. TLoU2 is in many ways a daring game. Just not at all where it would have mattered to me. I'm glad that many were able to enjoy it. 

In the threads discussing TLOU2 it was said the game was confusing and that they needed to make the story aligned in timeline, like have all flash backs first and them alternate between Ellie and Abby first day, second day, etc, until their confrontation.

Sure obvious and pissed aren't mutually exclusive. But being confusing and obvious are a hard match.

For me it was even more obvious because from TLOU1 it was already expected that Joel would die (and Sony not talking about him until the eve of launch, was even more evidence he wouldn't be on the game and it would be the story of Ellie). Many people even guessed Ellie would discover the truth and would either kill or abandon Joel long before TLOU2 was officially confirmed (and the poster of the guitar was the last evidence they needed that Joel wouldn't be present anymore).

I don't get upset about stories being obvious because 99% of the time I get the ending in my head right with like 20-30% of the story told or less. Sure that makes me all the more happy when my expectations is subverted, hardly I get pissed that something I expected didn't happen, and even if I get a little sad a char I liked died if the reason was good for the story I accept it. And well in RL sometimes people just die without any previous signal or reason.

Perhaps people thought that the structure was not the best way to present the story. I don't know. But I do know that a game consists of many parts. And one thing, like structure, or upgrade mechanics can easily be confusing while another, like moral lesson, or usage of plot devices can be very obvious. Not saying this is the case for TLoU2, just talking in general.

And I think we did talk about two different things. To you Joels death was obvious. Alright, to me aswell. But this is not necessarily to the detriment of the story and not what I was talking about. To me, what ND tried to achieve with the story, their masseging, the reversial, walking in the shoes of the other, learning first hand how hard it can be to forgive, this was obvious from the get go. It is an interesting experiment and certainly bold. But at the same time boring. This goes beyond being able to tell what the ending is going to be. This is about seeing a 20 hour gameplay chunk, practically the whole game, before you and thinking: yeah, yeah, I get it, but can we please instead do something interesting and a little more mature?

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

What you mean "on this site"? The staff or the users?

Regardless, this site has always been Nintendo land, do Sony games really win got here every year? Can you please show it to me as I find it extremely hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe it's more Nintendo land than anything else tbh. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BraLoD said:
Chazore said:

Let's be real here, was a PC game like Alyx ever, and I mean ever going to win anything, let alone GOTY?.

It wasn't, it never would and never will, because these award shindigs are always stacked for either Sony and sometimes Nintendo or some rando third party game that just happens to hail from the land of the Rising Sun.

I always had an inkling that TLOU2 was going to win, just like how I have that same feeling a Sony game is going to win the GOTY on this very site, because it happens practically every year and nowt changes, because of how it's stacked.

Also, Death Stranding PC GOTY: ayyy L M A O. 

Regardless, this site has always been Nintendo land, do Sony games really win got here every year? Can you please show it to me as I find it extremely hard to believe.

Actually I recall something completely different, specially user related.

Last year was RE: 2 beating out Fire Emblem 3 Houses.

2018 was God of War beating out Smash Ultimate.

2017 was BOTW beating out Horizon Zero Dawn.

2016 was Uncharted 4 beating out Last Guardian.

2015 was Rocket League. No runner up beyond this point.

2014 was Smash Wii U.

2013 was Mario 3D World.

2012 was Journey.

2011 was Skyrim.

2010 was Mass Effect 2.

2009 was Uncharted 2.

2008 was Little Big Planet.

2007 was BioShock.

Out of 13 years, 5 Sony games, 3 Nintendo, and 5 other. Nothing really jumps out to me as questionable enough that I'd accuse anyone of bias, although I don't think Uncharted or 3D World were really GOTY worthy... although they did come out in relatively weak years. Also think that Galaxy 2 should have won over Mass Effect 2, despite how good ME 2 was, but that's just me. 

JWeinCom said:
BraLoD said:

Actually I recall something completely different, specially user related.

2014 was Smash Wii U.

2013 was Mario 3D World.

2012 was Journey.

2011 was Skyrim.

2010 was Mass Effect 2.

2009 was Uncharted 2.

2007 was BioShock.

Out of 13 years, 5 Sony games, 3 Nintendo, and 5 other. Nothing really jumps out to me as questionable enough that I'd accuse anyone of bias, although I don't think Uncharted or 3D World were really GOTY worthy... although they did come out in relatively weak years. Also think that Galaxy 2 should have won over Mass Effect 2, despite how good ME 2 was, but that's just me. 

3D World won in 2013 against stacked competition including GTA V and TLOU. It felt wrong back then and looks even worse in hindsight. TLOU is the highest rated game in the history of this site's reviews with a score of 9.8 out of 10. However I think some influential editorial staff did not like the game so much. It would be shocking if TLOU II wins GOTY on this site seeing as the official review score is 7 out of 10. The review scores do not really have any correlation to GOTY picks especially when the user vote element is included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
JWeinCom said:

2014 was Smash Wii U.

2013 was Mario 3D World.

2012 was Journey.

2011 was Skyrim.

2010 was Mass Effect 2.

2009 was Uncharted 2.

2007 was BioShock.

3D World won in 2013 against stacked competition including GTA V and TLOU. It felt wrong back then and looks even worse in hindsight. TLOU is the highest rated game in the history of this site's reviews with a score of 9.8 out of 10. However I think some influential editorial staff did not like the game so much. It would be shocking if TLOU II wins GOTY on this site seeing as the official review score is 7 out of 10. The review scores do not really have any correlation to GOTY picks especially when the user vote element is included.

Never actually played either of those games, so I really can't say. As for reviews, reviews are done by a single editor. There are something like 20 listed staff members... so the correlation you should expect between reviews and GOTY is about 1/20. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:

2014 was Smash Wii U.

2013 was Mario 3D World.

2012 was Journey.

2011 was Skyrim.

2010 was Mass Effect 2.

2009 was Uncharted 2.

2007 was BioShock.

4 Sony games. So yeah, nothing really close to Sony winning every year. For example the PS4 has less GOTY winners than the Wii U. (Though BotW is way more popular on Switch)

Also the greatest games event, which is by far the biggest one in this site, is literally always dominated by Nintendo games.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it was always really easy to notice Nintendo fans are the majority around here.

5 Sony games. LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted 2, Journey (undeserved), Uncharted 4, God of War.

BraLoD said:
Signalstar said:

5 Sony games. LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted 2, Journey (undeserved), Uncharted 4, God of War.

Are you sure Journey is a Sony IP?

I know Santa Monica helped with it but the game is even on iphone.

Regardless, Sony published it and co-developed it. It was Sony exclusive at the time it won the award. Sony published it on PS3, Vita, and PS4. It's a Sony game.

A shame the award can't fix the writing.

⚠️ WARNED: Trolling (generally negative towards TLOU: Pt II)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 26 November 2020

KLAMarine said:

A shame the award can't fix the writing.

A shame that you can’t recognise phenomenal writing.

Last edited by Dahum - on 26 November 2020

JuliusHackebeil said:
DonFerrari said:

In the threads discussing TLOU2 it was said the game was confusing and that they needed to make the story aligned in timeline, like have all flash backs first and them alternate between Ellie and Abby first day, second day, etc, until their confrontation.

Sure obvious and pissed aren't mutually exclusive. But being confusing and obvious are a hard match.

For me it was even more obvious because from TLOU1 it was already expected that Joel would die (and Sony not talking about him until the eve of launch, was even more evidence he wouldn't be on the game and it would be the story of Ellie). Many people even guessed Ellie would discover the truth and would either kill or abandon Joel long before TLOU2 was officially confirmed (and the poster of the guitar was the last evidence they needed that Joel wouldn't be present anymore).

I don't get upset about stories being obvious because 99% of the time I get the ending in my head right with like 20-30% of the story told or less. Sure that makes me all the more happy when my expectations is subverted, hardly I get pissed that something I expected didn't happen, and even if I get a little sad a char I liked died if the reason was good for the story I accept it. And well in RL sometimes people just die without any previous signal or reason.

Perhaps people thought that the structure was not the best way to present the story. I don't know. But I do know that a game consists of many parts. And one thing, like structure, or upgrade mechanics can easily be confusing while another, like moral lesson, or usage of plot devices can be very obvious. Not saying this is the case for TLoU2, just talking in general.

And I think we did talk about two different things. To you Joels death was obvious. Alright, to me aswell. But this is not necessarily to the detriment of the story and not what I was talking about. To me, what ND tried to achieve with the story, their masseging, the reversial, walking in the shoes of the other, learning first hand how hard it can be to forgive, this was obvious from the get go. It is an interesting experiment and certainly bold. But at the same time boring. This goes beyond being able to tell what the ending is going to be. This is about seeing a 20 hour gameplay chunk, practically the whole game, before you and thinking: yeah, yeah, I get it, but can we please instead do something interesting and a little more mature?

Now I get you. I though you were saying obvious and confusing for history could happen, not obvious in story but confusing in another element. Didn't thought it was confusing, but yes I agree with you that it is totally possible to have some elements obvious (to the point of uninteresting) and others confusing (to the point of annoyance).

About the second paragraph I agree with you, and yes for me it was kinda expected that I would play the other side (as you said we played with Abby on the start that was a warning that we would play later). I thought it was a great idea as that isn't much explored, but yes so many people felt aggravated by it because it made they feel guilty of what they done as Ellie, my friend hated the game because of it even more because he felt even worse by having to play the person that killed Joel that he really liked.

BraLoD said:
Signalstar said:

Regardless, Sony published it and co-developed it. It was Sony exclusive at the time it won the award. Sony published it on PS3, Vita, and PS4. It's a Sony game.

Nah it's a Sony game if Sony owns it.

I'm pretty positive it is a Sony game, and launching on a smartphone doesn't deny that, it didn't launch on other consoles and Horizon is very much a Sony game and launched on PC, MLB is a Sony game and will launch on Xbox and Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."