By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2020 Golden Joystick Awards- The Last of Us 2 Wins Ultimate Game of the Year!

Death Stranding > Half Life Alyx for PC GOTY??
I have both and ill easily say DS doesn't even hold a candle to HL-A. Another reason why we shouldnt take these awards seriously. Definitely misleading.

Around the Network

Well deserved for The Last of Us 2.

I can see why some wouldn't enjoy it but on a technical level this is one of the best games I've ever played. The small refinements in gameplay, adding the ability to jump, prone, smash glass, squeeze through crevices, with inclusions of new items like rope, adds so much versatility to firefights, stealth, environmental puzzles and exploration. These improvements are made even better with brilliant combat scenarios, larger areas with multiple pathways, drastically improved enemy AI (on hard+) and semi linear design with a few open world elements. Remember the jump in gameplay from Uncharted to Uncharted 2? That's how I think of the jump from TLOU to TLOU: Part II in terms of gameplay.

The negative reactions to what is a general public voted awards show are priceless.

Death Stranding over Alyx is really a surprise.
TLoU2 sweeping is not, but totally undiserved.
The characters do feel human and beliefable, but I could not enjoy the story at all. What they did was obvious and heavy handed. There were mature things happening, but the story felt kiddy and full of missed opportunities.

Hynad said:

The negative reactions to what is a general public voted awards show are priceless.

Is it voted by the public? If so than that explains alot. It makes it nothing more than a popularity contest. Quantity over Quality award. Of course HL-A wont win anything, its a VR game. 

Around the Network

Upset about the game generally, and now upset it gets an award. Gamers need to get a life.

Random_Matt said:

Upset about the game generally, and now upset it gets an award. Gamers need to get a life.

For real! Like how it is to hard to just accept how the game went and just let go and move on to more meaningful things in life instead of sulking about a video game that no one forced them to buy or experience and they can just easily ignore and dismiss.

Last edited by Dahum - on 25 November 2020

Very well done TLOU2. And happy to see Death Stranding winning on PC, I liked the game a lot.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:

Story telling, lulz

Also maybe I have a different definition of "family game" but how is an online only, no local MP game the best family game?

What does "outstanding contribution - the gaming industry" mean

Way to go. Yes let's expose TLOU2 story telling for how bad it is, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Torillian said:

Never understood the idea that Last of Us 2 was going to suffer in GOTY awards because of being "controversial". Wasn't controversial amongst the gaming press. And they are the ones who decide all these awards.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But Joystick Award is public-voted. Seeing The Last of Us 2 dominating the biggest public-voted awards puts things into perspective. The controversy doesn't seem as big as the internet would like you to believe.