By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- CoD Black Ops Cold War

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

honestly both should just say pure 60fps lol.

Check this out: 15mins of frame time graph video: Theres zero drops on either version (below 60).

I think DF found like the only 2 times in the intire game where there are drops on PS5 and choose to show them :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQYpS7I_B8

That is their job, isn't it? If they are finding sequences with drops, it means they did their job right, some tech testers only do the first level or two for their tests, which is kind of lazy imo. And they do say in the video that the PS5 version is 60 fps almost all of the time with ray-tracing on, except for those 3 sequences they showed with drops. They even said that you're better off keeping raytracing on rather than turning it off just to hit locked 60 fps. 

that may be true, but we have seen df state no drops locked 60 while at the very same time the graph is showing drops.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

So Series X performs better with Raytracing on than ps5 does. I tally this one in the Series X favor overall.

I'm not sure if the Series X wins this comparison. Although it has better performance in RT mode, the PS5 has the edge in 120 FPS mode, while DF also praised the Dualsense features and load times should favor of the PS5. 

I'd say its either a tie or the PS5 slightly edges it out. 

PotentHerbs said:
smroadkill15 said:

So Series X performs better with Raytracing on than ps5 does. I tally this one in the Series X favor overall.

I'm not sure if the Series X wins this comparison. Although it has better performance in RT mode, the PS5 has the edge in 120 FPS mode, while DF also praised the Dualsense features and load times should favor of the PS5. 

I think the tiebreaker is the Xbox's VRR support so even with the drops from 120fps, on the series x you're less likely to notice them during gameplay than you would be when the ps5 drops it's frames.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Seems like we found our trend for the gen. RT on will favour the xbox and RT off will favour the ps5. At this game at least both are virtually the same anyways as both only strrugle during set pieces but gamplay seem solid in all versions and modes. As someone who favours the ps5, ima take the loss as I have zero interest in high framerate. Im 100% in for image quality. Not that ima ever play a COD game lol

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Too_Talls said:
PotentHerbs said:

I think the tiebreaker is the Xbox's VRR support so even with the drops from 120fps, on the series x you're less likely to notice them during gameplay than you would be when the ps5 drops it's frames.

a tiebreaker should not cost an extra fee. Those tv's are expensive. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Correct me if wrong..., in short.

PS5 wins at 120 fps modes, both options, with RT and without RT.

XSX and PS5 are tied at 60fps and no RT.

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

XSS, again, fails to deliver MS promise. Major features cut ( RT / 120fps mode), lesser preformance in FPS than XSX.
All the talk of "just resolution downgrade" and "no major differences on performance and other features" is looking more and more like lies from MS marketing. Truly shameful if you ask me.

Manlytears said:

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

XSS, again, fails to deliver MS promise. Major features cut ( RT / 120fps mode), lesser preformance in FPS than XSX.
All the talk of "just resolution downgrade" and "no major differences on performance and other features" is looking more and more like lies from MS marketing. Truly shameful if you ask me.

and so far we only seen crossgen games. This thing is not gona age well. 

Altogether I'd call this a tie, but it's funny that the multiplat versions with the more noticeable shortcomings are turning out to be the ones with the marketing deals so far. You'd think it'd be just the opposite.

Game looks great from a technical standpoint. Very encouraging to see a AAA launch title with a well done 120fps mode on both platforms. Wonder if it will continue through the generation.

shikamaru317 said:
Manlytears said:

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

I don't think RT is available on the 120 fps mode. 

As for Series S, I have to assume that 120 fps mode and RT are coming but got delayed. The game even installs an RT file by default on Series S, but the RT option isn't in the game. That tells me that Treyarch/Raven have RT temporarily disabled on Series S while they optimize it because they weren't happy with the level of performance. Not sure if 120 fps is coming to Series S or not.

indeed you are correct, no RT on 120fps.

PotentHerbs said:
smroadkill15 said:

I disagree. Both XSX and Ps5 fps are in the 90s during 120 mode so being 4 fps higher when both are struggling isn't really a bragging point. Where as XSX performance is 60 fps with raytracing on with no drops vs ps5 dips into the 40s with it on. This a much bigger deal than any advantage ps5 has. Loading times are not a big enough difference to really brag about.

If we're going to be adding advantages that have nothing to do with performance, then XSX can quick resume at any point during the game, or Xbox has cloud saving without needing a sub. Lets keep the comparisons related to graphical performance shall we.