By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- CoD Black Ops Cold War

Interesting comparison. This one was more akin to DMC5 where they go back and forth between modes.

But aside from that, the fact that this COD game usually run stable 120fps at dynamic 4K, that was not something I expected to see in games like this on these consoles. Tbh I wasn't even expecting solid 60fps.

Last edited by Hiku - on 23 November 2020

Around the Network

Correct me if wrong..., in short.

PS5 wins at 120 fps modes, both options, with RT and without RT.

XSX and PS5 are tied at 60fps and no RT.

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

XSS, again, fails to deliver MS promise. Major features cut ( RT / 120fps mode), lesser preformance in FPS than XSX.
All the talk of "just resolution downgrade" and "no major differences on performance and other features" is looking more and more like lies from MS marketing. Truly shameful if you ask me.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Manlytears said:

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

XSS, again, fails to deliver MS promise. Major features cut ( RT / 120fps mode), lesser preformance in FPS than XSX.
All the talk of "just resolution downgrade" and "no major differences on performance and other features" is looking more and more like lies from MS marketing. Truly shameful if you ask me.

and so far we only seen crossgen games. This thing is not gona age well. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Manlytears said:

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

I don't think RT is available on the 120 fps mode. 

As for Series S, I have to assume that 120 fps mode and RT are coming but got delayed. The game even installs an RT file by default on Series S, but the RT option isn't in the game. That tells me that Treyarch/Raven have RT temporarily disabled on Series S while they optimize it because they weren't happy with the level of performance. Not sure if 120 fps is coming to Series S or not.

Altogether I'd call this a tie, but it's funny that the multiplat versions with the more noticeable shortcomings are turning out to be the ones with the marketing deals so far. You'd think it'd be just the opposite.

Game looks great from a technical standpoint. Very encouraging to see a AAA launch title with a well done 120fps mode on both platforms. Wonder if it will continue through the generation.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Manlytears said:

XSX wins at 60 FPS RT.

I don't think RT is available on the 120 fps mode. 

As for Series S, I have to assume that 120 fps mode and RT are coming but got delayed. The game even installs an RT file by default on Series S, but the RT option isn't in the game. That tells me that Treyarch/Raven have RT temporarily disabled on Series S while they optimize it because they weren't happy with the level of performance. Not sure if 120 fps is coming to Series S or not.

indeed you are correct, no RT on 120fps.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

PotentHerbs said:
smroadkill15 said:

So Series X performs better with Raytracing on than ps5 does. I tally this one in the Series X favor overall.

I'm not sure if the Series X wins this comparison. Although it has better performance in RT mode, the PS5 has the edge in 120 FPS mode, while DF also praised the Dualsense features and load times should favor of the PS5. 

I'd say its either a tie or the PS5 slightly edges it out. 

I disagree. Both XSX and Ps5 fps are in the 90s during 120 mode so being 4 fps higher when both are struggling isn't really a bragging point. Where as XSX performance is 60 fps with raytracing on with no drops vs ps5 dips into the 40s with it on. This a much bigger deal than any advantage ps5 has. Loading times are not a big enough difference to really brag about.

If we're going to be adding advantages that have nothing to do with performance, then XSX can quick resume at any point during the game, or Xbox has cloud saving without needing a sub. Lets keep the comparisons related to graphical performance shall we. 

Why are we trying to crown a winner? Just be happy it seems optimized on both consoles. Lol

Not a COD fan, but props to Activision

JRPGfan said:

honestly both should just say pure 60fps lol.

Check this out: 15mins of frame time graph video: Theres zero drops on either version (below 60).

I think DF found like the only 2 times in the intire game where there are drops on PS5 and choose to show them :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQYpS7I_B8

↑ This video right here shows that smoke effect from weapon shots are kinda absent on Series X/S, for some reason. Watch.
Also a few youtube channels (including DF) forgot to compare load times. 

This channel made a loading time comparison loading a multiplayer match (at 8:52)

Last edited by Segata_Fran - on 24 November 2020

Segata_Fran said:
JRPGfan said:

honestly both should just say pure 60fps lol.

Check this out: 15mins of frame time graph video: Theres zero drops on either version (below 60).

I think DF found like the only 2 times in the intire game where there are drops on PS5 and choose to show them :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQYpS7I_B8

↑ This video right here shows that smoke effect from weapon shots are kinda absent on Series X/S, for some reason. Watch.
Also a few youtube channels (including DF) forgot to compare load times. 

This channel made a loading time comparison loading a multiplayer match (at 8:52)

Another video (from another differnt 3rd party), with frame rate anaylse graph, showing locked 60 fps on both (without drops).
I'm super convinced now, that DF really did find like 2 points in the entire game (during campagne mode) where it has drops for a few secounds and choose to show that.

While in actual gameplay (and multiplayer), it ll run the same 60fps on both.

If you just watched DF video, you wouldn't actually get a "real" idea of how the game runs on both.
And people say they arn't baised towards Xbox lol.
But its apparent they handle things differntly whenever the shoe in on the other foot.

edit:

also DF are late with their videos, for weeks we've been hearing people say it runs better on PS5.
DF basically had to cherry pick 2 minor instances, where they found the XSX to run better than PS5 and show that, while other videos from other 3rd party have actually found area's where the xsx runs worse (hence why this game was said to run better on the PS5).

Look at Dirt 5, in the 120fps mode, there was 1 track that at a certain part didnt hold 120fps as well as the XSX.
They gave the nod to the XSX, saying it runs better (because it didnt have drops down to like 100fps during that part of the track).
While the huge differnce in image quality, was just "likely a bug" ? meanwhile praiseing that this bug of lesser details allowed for better fps, and praiseing that?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 November 2020