By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

Too bad we don't get any sales updates from Sony anymore. I think Spiderman finishes around 25 - 30 Million units lifetime, God of War will finish around 20 - 25 Million units lifetime, Uncharted 4 is in the 18 - 22 Million units range, Horizon could finish around 15 - 20 Million units depending on the PC port, TLOU is over 20 Million units lifetime with TLOU: Part II on pace to 15+ Million units, GoT is a new IP that is on pace for 10 - 15 Million units, GT Sport is legging its way to over 10+ Million units sold, even Days Gone might be around 8 - 10 Million units with poor critical reception. I don't see why the majority of these franchises can't grow even more on the PS5 when you consider the strength of the PS Brand and its worldwide presence.

The most impressive thing about SIE first party sales is the amount of competition on the platform. GTA & RDR2 are massive IP's that rival Nintendo's highest selling IP's. Yearly franchises like Fifa & COD are selling 10 - 15 million units in a single year. Even mid tier franchises like Monster Hunter, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 sell over 10 - 15 Million units lifetime. This isn't even considering other popular franchises like Crash, Final Fantasy, Batman: Arkham Knight, etc.

Around the Network

Nintendo fans really want to talk about revenue/profit when the Playstation walled garden makes more money than the Nintendo walled garden lol?

Doctor_MG said:
Otter said:

So Sony are not making any fanfare regarding the 20m milestone, so probably more 1st party games will quitely pass the threshold if they haven't already

They will potentially have 4-6, 20m+ selling exclusives by the time PS4 is discontinued. They're selling 1st party titles at near Nintendo levels

Hmmm I'm not too sure about this. I think that 4 is the maximum number of 20M sellers that the PS4 will get for exclusives. My guess for the next two to three will be God of War, Uncharted 4 (probably has already hit 20M, otherwise it likely wont), and TLoU2. 

Horizon: Zero Dawn reached 10M just last year. Unless there is a BIG boost right before Horizon Forbidden West comes out, it'll probably linger around 12-15M. Gran Turismo Sport hit 8M last year and, with a new one launching very soon, it's unlikely that it has legs. 10-11M total for that one is my guess. The only one that I am not sure about is Ghost of Tsushima. 

Something Sony can do to increase sales of their titles for PS4 is to create PS5 branded PS4 games, similar to what Microsoft did with select Xbox 360 games (where they essentially put it in an Xbox One box, and said it was for both consoles). If they do this then I think that one or two more games may become 20M sellers. 

So let's assume 3 are guaranteed. 

I think we really need an update on TLOU2. I know it didn't have the legs as healthy as some would hope but I still wouldn't count it out especially since some have been waiting for PS5 (same with Ghost). There may also be a multiplayer component coming.

Horizon surpassed 10m closer to 2 years than 1, (feb 2019). Its had the PC release (so I guess that discounts the notion go s true exclusive but that would as to the sales) and the PS5 could give it a second wind approaching the sequel, I wouldn't count it out.

Lastly Ghost is tracking ahead of Horizon and has an online component and a PS5 60fps update. I think it will sell well in 2021 extremely well. It's the first title I'm getting once my PS5 arrives 

But yeah I put the range because I see it as possible but not necessarily likely that hey're reach 6.

Last edited by Otter - on 18 November 2020

shikamaru317 said:
First PS4 exclusive to pass 20m this gen if I'm not mistaken. Uncharted 4 was at 15m last official update, Horizon at 10m last official update, God of War 10m last official update.

If the NY Times figure is accurate, God of War is over 20 Million units lifetime too. 

shikamaru317 said:

First PS4 exclusive to pass 20m this gen if I'm not mistaken. Uncharted 4 was at 15m last official update, Horizon at 10m last official update, God of War 10m last official update. Considering Sony never announced 20m for those 3, it's probably safe to assume that Spider-Man beat all 3 of them to 20m. 

Wasnt there a thread a little time ago that said GOW 2018 had already passed the 20m sales? I take it there was no official source on that then. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

First PS4 exclusive to pass 20m this gen if I'm not mistaken. Uncharted 4 was at 15m last official update, Horizon at 10m last official update, God of War 10m last official update. Considering Sony never announced 20m for those 3, it's probably safe to assume that Spider-Man beat all 3 of them to 20m. 

Sony didn't announce this one as well. It was one employee that put it on his resume. GoW most likely already crossed, TLOU+TLOUR have crossed and UC4 is very likely near it as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Guys is there any updated list on the internet of the best selling PS4 games?? Because I tried looking through the internet and all I found were extremely outdated numbers of PS4 game sales lists. If anyone could find an updated list or make one that'll be much appreciated.

Also, its awesome to see PS exclusives get so big, they're now really starting to compete with Nintendo in the exclusive sales category. During the PS1/PS2/PS3 their exclusives were no where near as big, but they're really starting to get their stride on the PS4.

All of sonys sale figures are wildly out of date, going by them Spiderman is still at 13m

Fairly deserved, I think. I found it to be a very fun title. Playstation is good at superhero games. Kind of hope that they (Sony in general, I know it's a different internal developer) make an Infamous for Playstation 5, now that I think about it... 

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:
BOLLOCKS said:
Another thread about PlayStation first party selling like never before, time for Nintendo fans to remind us how Nintendo first party is making more money, thanks Nintendo fans, we almost forgot.

Must be the eagerness after seeing several years with PS+ alone profiting more than the entirety of Nintendo during WiiU era.

The original poster made the comparison to Nintendo and later on in the thread reiterated that sales comparisons make sense on a sales website. If you guys can't handle comparisons where Sony doesn't come in first, you have the right to stay out of threads, but you don't get to dictate which sales comparisons are okay and which ones are not.

You'd have a point if a Nintendo fan brought up a comparison between Sony and Nintendo, but that's not the case in this thread.

For real. I can't get over the irony that people in this thread are getting mad that Nintendo fans are engaging in sales comparisons that the OP and other Sony fans themselves brought up. It's actually annoying. Don't bring up a sales comparison and then get mad at a fanbase for responding to it. You egged it on. I don't even mind it being discussed mind you, it's just hilarious .