By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1) Congrats to Sony and Spider-Man.  20m is a lot for a PS4 game.  I don't think they outsold GTA5 or Minecraft on the PS4, but they may have outsold the PS4 version of every other third party game.  

2) Saying it is "close to Nintendo" levels is overselling it.  The OP would be better off if they never compared the game to Nintendo.  This thread is supposed to be about celebrating a milestone, but when you compare it to Nintendo, you are asking to get smacked down.  Sales for a top tier Nintendo game is 37m.  Spider-Man is no where close to this, while Switch has two games on track to eventually surpass it.  On the other hand Switch has so many games on track to surpass 20m, that I wouldn't be surprised if their whole top 10 was 20m+ by the end of it's life.

Just because your college team is doing the best they've ever done, that doesn't mean they are as good as a pro team.  I'm glad Sony software is doing well, but you'd be better off not comparing them to Nintendo who is still clearly far better.

Huh?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/here_are_the_top_ten_best-selling_nintendo_switch_games_as_of_september_2020

Top Ten Best-Selling Nintendo Switch Games (as of 30th September 2020):

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 28.99 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 26.04 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 21.10 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 19.74 million
  5. Pokémon Sword and Shield - 19.02 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey - 18.99 million
  7. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! - 12.49 million
  8. Super Mario Party - 12.10 million
  9. Splatoon 2 - 11.27 million
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 8.32 million

I cant believe this... lol thats some hardcore triggered fanboy acting :P

In a thread about Spiderman selling over 20m (back in august?), someone saying "close to nintendo levels" results in posts like this?
Also has any game on the Switch sold 37 million units yet?

if this post of yours was in humor, and I just missed the sarcasm, I appologies in advance.

Mario Kart Wii has sold 37m.  That is what total sales look like for a top tier Nintendo title.  PS4 is near the end of it's life.  Most software sales are accounted for.

Switch, on the other hand, hasn't even peaked yet.  This is likely the peak year for Switch, but we haven't even had holiday sales yet for Switch's peak year.  There are a lot of software sales still to come.  On top of that it's top title is already at 29m, and it is 3.5 years younger than the PS4.  If you want to make a comparison to Switch's current software numbers, then you should be comparing it to PS4 software levels from early 2017.  I believe Uncharted 4 sold around 9m at that time.  A fair comparision would be a 9m PS4 title to a 29m Switch title.  Sony titles do not sell at Nintendo levels.

Again, just because your college team is doing very well, that doesn't mean it's at pro level.  If you want to celebrate a PS4 game, then don't compare it to Nintendo.  You are embarrasing yourself when there is no need for it.

Around the Network

Why do people feel the need to comment on a thread that celebrates someone's success with irrelevant comparisons with other companies that "have done better". That is the cancer this forum has ffs, let people enjoy things.

On topic, this game is a blast and I absolutely love Insomniac games in general. Right from launch it looked like it was gonna be a big seller, but I never thought it'd reach 20m. Thats an impressive benchmark. I hope they continue in this line of success, maybe even with their new Spiderman game.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 18 November 2020

Otter said:

So Sony are not making any fanfare regarding the 20m milestone, so probably more 1st party games will quitely pass the threshold if they haven't already

They will potentially have 4-6, 20m+ selling exclusives by the time PS4 is discontinued. They're selling 1st party titles at near Nintendo levels

Hmmm I'm not too sure about this. I think that 4 is the maximum number of 20M sellers that the PS4 will get for exclusives. My guess for the next two to three will be God of War, Uncharted 4 (probably has already hit 20M, otherwise it likely wont), and TLoU2. 

Horizon: Zero Dawn reached 10M just last year. Unless there is a BIG boost right before Horizon Forbidden West comes out, it'll probably linger around 12-15M. Gran Turismo Sport hit 8M last year and, with a new one launching very soon, it's unlikely that it has legs. 10-11M total for that one is my guess. The only one that I am not sure about is Ghost of Tsushima. 

Something Sony can do to increase sales of their titles for PS4 is to create PS5 branded PS4 games, similar to what Microsoft did with select Xbox 360 games (where they essentially put it in an Xbox One box, and said it was for both consoles). If they do this then I think that one or two more games may become 20M sellers. 

JRPGfan said:
Otter said:

There are more Nintendo comparisons to be made

For example the exponential growth GOW and Zelda (BOTW) have seen this generation. BOTW2 and Ragnarok could make a fun sales battle if they both arrive Q2 2021.

BoTW2 should win that, by a large margin.

Well apparently God of War on PS4 has sold roughly 20m, which puts it pretty much on par with Breath of the Wild. So not sure why you think there'll be a massive gap between Ragnarok and BOTW2.

Though BOTW2 is definitley the likely winner.

Somini said:
HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

So Sony are not making any fanfare regarding the 20m milestone, so probably more 1st party games will quitely pass the threshold if they haven't already

They will potentially have 4-6, 20m+ selling exclusives by the time PS4 is discontinued. They're selling 1st party titles at near Nintendo levels

So 20m units solds are at full $60?

You must be a Nintendo fan. No, other companies actually discount the price after a while.

Bold: Everyone here already knew that. 

2nd bold: so near Nintendo levels in number of units sold, not even close in revenue and profit of a big 1st party game.

Around the Network

Another thread about PlayStation first party selling like never before, time for Nintendo fans to remind us how Nintendo first party is making more money, thanks Nintendo fans, we almost forgot.

BOLLOCKS said:
Another thread about PlayStation first party selling like never before, time for Nintendo fans to remind us how Nintendo first party is making more money, thanks Nintendo fans, we almost forgot.

Must be the eagerness after seeing several years with PS+ alone profiting more than the entirety of Nintendo during WiiU era.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:
BOLLOCKS said:

Must be the eagerness after seeing several years with PS+ alone profiting more than the entirety of Nintendo during WiiU era.

The original poster made the comparison to Nintendo and later on in the thread reiterated that sales comparisons make sense on a sales website. If you guys can't handle comparisons where Sony doesn't come in first, you have the right to stay out of threads, but you don't get to dictate which sales comparisons are okay and which ones are not.

You'd have a point if a Nintendo fan brought up a comparison between Sony and Nintendo, but that's not the case in this thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Basically any tiny mention of Nintendo in a PlayStation first party sells thread.

Nintendo fans:

BOLLOCKS said:

Basically any tiny mention of Nintendo in a PlayStation first party sells thread.

Nintendo fans:

Don't even need that... someone made a thread of which console would have a better holiday between Series and PS5 (so actually comparing launch of new systems) but couple of Nintendo fan started saying it would be Switch and not accepting that it wasn't part of discussion and that took like 50 comments and some mod warnings to settle up.

And the title doesn't mention Nintendo, so I imagine someone already entered the thread with the intent to downplay the sales of Spider-Man or some fan after seeing Nintendo sacred name being mentioned run to call the defense force here. Because otherwise I fail to imagine how they would know this was "a Nintendo thread".