By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

After God Of War, it's the turn of Spidey

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

First it was God of war, now Spiderman too.
I wouldnt be surprised if Uncharted 4 is over 20m either.
last of Us (w remaster) is well over 20m too (since like a year or two ago).

So the real question is how high will HZD go? Will it too have what it takes to break into the 20m range?

DonFerrari said:
That is very well deserved, and with the Miles Morales PS5 version we can even see some spike on SM sales. Congrats.Waiting for Daniel to confirm GoW sales that probably already passed 20M as well.Sony IPs this gen have done so much better than ever before (not you GT, not you, crying).

Last numbers for GTsport was it had over 10,4m users, and that was almost a year ago now.

I know, but that could also include multiple accounts on one system or second hand sales. Don't think GTS will cross 12M sold or reach 15M. Still it sure was a lot more than some would like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Otter said:

Nintendo are THE benchmark when it comes to 1st party game sales. Using benchmarks to contextual the size of an achievement is pretty normal, especially on a sales forum. Its why AC Vahalla outselling COD in the UK was news. And the 20m mark was something thought  reserved for Nintendo or multiplatform titles until rumours of GOW passing 20m happened last week.

There are more Nintendo comparisons to be made

The exponential growth GOW and Zelda (BOTW) have seen this generation mean BOTW2 and Ragnarok could make a fun sales battle if they both arrive Q4 2021.

I would be fine if we were at least comparing direct games, but always hearing the comparison of "sony is nearing Nintendo level" is driving me insane. 

How do we think they are counting spiderman remastered on ps5? As part as MM or included in this number?  

great sales and well deserved. I suspect a major reason Sony and Nintendo first party games have exploded this gen is it they make games in genres triple a third parties deem dead or not worth it.

1) Congrats to Sony and Spider-Man.  20m is a lot for a PS4 game.  I don't think they outsold GTA5 or Minecraft on the PS4, but they may have outsold the PS4 version of every other third party game.  

2) Saying it is "close to Nintendo" levels is overselling it.  The OP would be better off if they never compared the game to Nintendo.  This thread is supposed to be about celebrating a milestone, but when you compare it to Nintendo, you are asking to get smacked down.  Sales for a top tier Nintendo game is 37m.  Spider-Man is no where close to this, while Switch has two games on track to eventually surpass it.  On the other hand Switch has so many games on track to surpass 20m, that I wouldn't be surprised if their whole top 10 was 20m+ by the end of it's life.

Just because your college team is doing the best they've ever done, that doesn't mean they are as good as a pro team.  I'm glad Sony software is doing well, but you'd be better off not comparing them to Nintendo who is still clearly far better.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1) Congrats to Sony and Spider-Man.  20m is a lot for a PS4 game.  I don't think they outsold GTA5 or Minecraft on the PS4, but they may have outsold the PS4 version of every other third party game.  

2) Saying it is "close to Nintendo" levels is overselling it.  The OP would be better off if they never compared the game to Nintendo.  This thread is supposed to be about celebrating a milestone, but when you compare it to Nintendo, you are asking to get smacked down.  Sales for a top tier Nintendo game is 37m.  Spider-Man is no where close to this, while Switch has two games on track to eventually surpass it.  On the other hand Switch has so many games on track to surpass 20m, that I wouldn't be surprised if their whole top 10 was 20m+ by the end of it's life.

Just because your college team is doing the best they've ever done, that doesn't mean they are as good as a pro team.  I'm glad Sony software is doing well, but you'd be better off not comparing them to Nintendo who is still clearly far better.

Huh?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/here_are_the_top_ten_best-selling_nintendo_switch_games_as_of_september_2020

Top Ten Best-Selling Nintendo Switch Games (as of 30th September 2020):

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 28.99 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 26.04 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 21.10 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 19.74 million
  5. Pokémon Sword and Shield - 19.02 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey - 18.99 million
  7. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! - 12.49 million
  8. Super Mario Party - 12.10 million
  9. Splatoon 2 - 11.27 million
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 8.32 million

I cant believe this... lol thats some hardcore triggered fanboy acting :P

In a thread about Spiderman selling over 20m (back in august?), someone saying "close to nintendo levels" results in posts like this?
Also has any game on the Switch sold 37 million units yet?

if this post of yours was in humor, and I just missed the sarcasm, I appologies in advance.

Well deserved. The more I think about it, the more I think that Spider-Man is one of the best games, ever. The sales SHOULD reflect that.

I'd say it's far more impressive for Sony first party games to hit this milestone over any Nintendo first party games because - what other options do you have for the Switch? They're not getting any of the big third party releases to compete against.

MasonADC said:
Otter said:

Nintendo are THE benchmark when it comes to 1st party game sales. Using benchmarks to contextual the size of an achievement is pretty normal, especially on a sales forum. Its why AC Vahalla outselling COD in the UK was news. And the 20m mark was something thought  reserved for Nintendo or multiplatform titles until rumours of GOW passing 20m happened last week.

There are more Nintendo comparisons to be made

The exponential growth GOW and Zelda (BOTW) have seen this generation mean BOTW2 and Ragnarok could make a fun sales battle if they both arrive Q4 2021.

I would be fine if we were at least comparing direct games, but always hearing the comparison of "sony is nearing Nintendo level" is driving me insane. 

How do we think they are counting spiderman remastered on ps5? As part as MM or included in this number?  

Since its not being sold separately I think as part of MM

Congrats!