By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Gen 8 Defining Titles

Titanfall 2, Hellblade: Senua Sacrifice, Metro Exodus, Kingdom Come : Deliverance, Halo 5 (multiplayer)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Witcher 3, Overwatch, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Dragon Quest XI

Last edited by NobleTeam360 - on 14 November 2020

Man, there were so many good games this gen and I have even played all the ones I'm interested in. So far these are some of my favorites:

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Took the most prominent genre of the generation and showed everyone how it's done, there's an almost relentless focus on freedom.

The Last Guardian - A victim of its own hype, it was never going to have the "accessible" appeal of Shadow of the Colossus, but it is a worthy entry in Team Ico's catalogue, and since Ueda is my favorite designer I have to put it on this list.

Celeste - Laser focused level design that explores its mechanics to absolute insane heights. I could never do it, but seeing a playthrough of chapter 9 is completely mind-blowing. Except I could totally do it, because this game taught everyone how to do accessibility right with its assist mode!

DK Tropical Freeze - I flipflop between this and Celeste as my all time favorite platformers. Celeste pushes its mechanics farther, but DK has some of the most elegantly designed levels out there, with every single one introducing at least two new stage specific mechanics and combining them in really interesting ways, sometimes culmination is some really cool final challenge to close the level. It's also amazing with theming, no abstract floating platforms here.

God of War - I thought this was going to be an awful attempt at ripping off TLoU but it turned out to be a really powerful story in its own right. I think the combat suffers a little because of the camera and we could have used more boss fights that werent reprises, but other than that it's hard to find issues with it.

Maybe Last of Us Part 2 will earn its place here eventually, but it's a little too recent for me to know if it will stick, but so far it's my favorite game I played this year and a worthy sequel to one of my favorites from last gen, so there's that.

Edit: Oops, forgot about The Witness! That one is probably my favorite puzzle game of all time, probably tied with Braid, but they're both great for different reasons imo.

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

4622 hours? Wow, that's crazy! :O

It's not crazy if it's a crazy good game. And you can add over a thousand hours of watching the esport.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey IV
Poke'mon X/Y

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon

BotW
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Xenoblade 2
Dragonquest 11 S
Into the Breach

God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spiderman
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Witcher 3

RolStoppable said:

Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors
Fire Emblem Fates
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
New Super Mario Bros. U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Picross 3D: Round 2

That's my top 10, including the obligatory token third party game.

YES!!!! Finally someone else that recognizes this game's greatness!

Around the Network

These are not necessarily my favourite games of the gen, but all of these have been somehow important and will probably be some of the defining games in the future.

Assassin's Creed: Origins: No Assassin's Creed since the first one has impressed my like Origins did. The others too have been good, but Origins is the first game since the first one to have that magic. Sadly, Odyssey lost that magic again, and I have yet to play Valhalla but expect it too to lack the magic (but we'll see about that once I get my hands on Valhalla).

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: My childhoold upgraded! Also, the first game got its horrible save system fixed. Nostalgia does a lot here, but it helps that the remakes also really good.

Cities: Skylines: It's easy to learn, offers a nice amount of challenge for everyone, and it's easy to get back into it even after breaks. I've played this a good bit almost since its release, and I just keep coming back. What a great game! Now I just wish some of the most annoying flaws get fixed in either some DLC or a sequel...

Grim Dawn: Titan Quest is one of my favourite games ever, and Grim Dawn is essentially more of the same with even better gameplay and quality-of-life improvements. I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but it does its job. Anyway, I'm currently at 377 hours with this one, and I fully expect to clock in even more.

Rocket League: I hate the toxic community, but the game itself is great. I never expected to get into a game like this, but it's great! It's also very easy to pick up when you have a little bit of time to spare.

FURI.

Gameplay:
- Varied, engaging, fun, challenging, no useless mindless bots. Boss fight after boss fight.
- Easy to pick up, I appreciate games that allow to play quick sessions and turn off your console and go back to work. However, since the PlayStation 2 era, there has been an increasing number of games that require you to be a lifeless hobo to get to enjoy those game. There are not enough games that respect the busy gamer, it's only gotten worse with the 7th generation. 

Soundtrack:
- 10/10, unique, futuristic & apoplectic.

Art-style:
- The game is beautiful on every device you choose to play it on, a testament to an art-style that is objectively

Story-telling:
- Minimalist, not in your face, and no endless texts to go through
- Most games don't have a good story to tell, it's just a fact, so a non-invasive approach to story-telling is always preferred by me. Invasive and interruptive story-telling is only acceptable if you're telling a story that can easily make it into a critically acclaimed movie or a decent novel, if not, just don't bother wasting your limited resources on telling a story that's generic.

More games like FURI and more challenging platformers is my wish for next gen.

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 14 November 2020

Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spider-Man
Fallout 4
Mass Effect Andromeda
Dragon Age Inquisition
Super Mario Odyssey
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Mario Kart 8
The Witcher 3
Persona 5
Batman Arkham Knight
The Outer Worlds
Ratchet & Clank (2016)
Forza Horizon 3

Not sure I can really call them defining titles of the generation as they're remakes but Crash NSane Trilogy, Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled and Spyro Reignited trilogy are 3 of my favorite games of the generation.

Loads of BotW love, which isn't in the least bit surprising.

Games that define the generation, huh? The games that spring immediately to mind...

God of War
The Witcher 3
Breath of the Wild
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Tales from the Borderlands
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
Total War: Warhammer 2

Last edited by Carl - on 14 November 2020