By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Gen 8 Defining Titles

It's strange for me to see God of War in every other post here, that game felt like a generic action game and I was thinking how good were the first two games the whole time. There were no villages, towns, cities, almost the whole world consisted of strange corridors and platforms, and the worst thing is that you have to traverse back and forth like if the game world didn't feel small already. Then you are meeting the same two blacksmiths all the time - who are they making and selling their stuff to? Where are the people? I just couldn't believe in any of it and it all felt forced and uninspired. The central character is not Kratos or his son but a dude who can't feel anything - well I related to him a lot, the game didn't make me feel much. I know the old GoW formula was very tired but I would rather play that again.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild. Game of the decade.

m0ney said:
It's strange for me to see God of War in every other post here, that game felt like a generic action game and I was thinking how good were the first two games the whole time. There were no villages, towns, cities, almost the whole world consisted of strange corridors and platforms, and the worst thing is that you have to traverse back and forth like if the game world didn't feel small already. Then you are meeting the same two blacksmiths all the time - who are they making and selling their stuff to? Where are the people? I just couldn't believe in any of it and it all felt forced and uninspired. The central character is not Kratos or his son but a dude who can't feel anything - well I related to him a lot, the game didn't make me feel much. I know the old GoW formula was very tired but I would rather play that again.

People have different tastes. I personally loved the new GOW and is one of my favourite games of this generation. In comparison, BOTW which is another popular pick here.. I didn't enjoy playing. Not that I'm denying its quality, its just the games is not for me.

m0ney said:

Yeah... the thread isn’t for this.

Maybe reread the OP if you did not understand the first time.

Hynad said:

Ok you got it, I will make a GoW bashing thread.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Hynad said:

Ok you got it, I will make a GoW bashing thread.

Don’t take it the wrong way. I simply wish the thread to be a celebration of the games we enjoyed and be a positive discussion about them rather than a place to question the choices others made.

We all enjoy different things in games and for various reasons.

But as I said, this is to celebrate the games that gave us the best of time during the 8th gen.

Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze were also two of my favourite games of the generation but I'm not sure I would say they were "defining" games of the gen for me; as amazing as they were, they felt kinda more like Gen 7 games in terms of their feel/vibe/style, though I don't mean that in a negative way as Gen 7 is my favourite generation of gaming.

Any list that doesn't have Bug Fables on it is a travesty.

Not every great title is on here that I've played of the generation, but there are some defining ones here.

Mario Kart 7

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Batman: Arkham Knight

Super Mario Maker

Stardew Valley

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Marvel's Spider-Man

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

The Last of Us Part II: Just an okay game, but it's left a heck of an impact.

Ghost of Tsushima

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Witcher 3

Red Dead Redemption 2

God of War

Uncharted 4

Zelda BOTW

Mario Odyssey

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Prey