By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 45, 2020 (Nov 02 - Nov 08)

Tagged games:

On the PS3 launch the console had production issues for those who don't remember or know these issues forced the EU release to be delayed by 4-5 months in order to sort the issue out, that's why the PS3 numbers are low.

Around the Network
Marth said:

Famitsu early report

Hardware
PlayStation 5118.000
Xbox Series X/S21.000
Software
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)18.640
Demon's Souls18.607

"Both hardwares are sold out immediately when reservations start, and lottery sales are being held, and the shortage continues, making it difficult to obtain. It is expected that supply will increase and sales volume will increase in preparation for the year-end sales season. "

That means there's a pretty good chance Switch still takes this week.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Marth said:

Famitsu early report

Hardware
PlayStation 5118.000
Xbox Series X/S21.000
Software
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)18.640
Demon's Souls18.607

"Both hardwares are sold out immediately when reservations start, and lottery sales are being held, and the shortage continues, making it difficult to obtain. It is expected that supply will increase and sales volume will increase in preparation for the year-end sales season. "

That means there's a pretty good chance Switch still takes this week.

Yeah it has a shot. Depends on stock obviously..

Also, when will PS5 | Series X,S be added to the frontpage? and how will you split marketshare percentages? ;P

Comparisons with the launch of previous PS systems paints a truly sobering picture.

I know we can't extrapolate too much about a system's long term prospects from its first week alone, but I would be surprised if PS5 manages to reach/pass PS4 sales in Japan, which itself is likewise looking to fall short of PS3, which in turn sold less than PS2.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 November 2020

631k for the PS2. Is that a record? Either way, pretty sad to think about how far PlayStation has declined in Japan. The PS4 had a stronger launch and a better library overall than the PS3, thanks in large part to Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter World, Kingdom Hearts 3, and various other major Japanese 3rd party franchises that missed out on the PS3. Yet despite all of that, the PS4 will most likely finish lower than the PS3.

Around the Network
theDX said:

Partial prediction league results:

ItemAverageActualAccuracy

PS5 hardware

110,917118,08593.54%

Xbox Series hardware

24,37520,53484.24%

Demon's Souls (PS5)

35,12518,60752.97%

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)

36,62518,64050.89%

Hints were correct so we were close to the hardware results. Software is pretty much half of what we expected.

damn i flopped with 0% on xbox hardware, 10k units off

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

PS5 launch is where I expected it to land, software is worse but I hinted at this during the prediction league - scalpers, digital and no real heavy hitting game for the Japanese audience is difficult to overcome. PS5 software will be sluggish until Demon Slayer and Final Fantasy release on the platform, there aren't any other exclusives revealed so far that would really move the needle on the PS5. I'd be surprised if the PS4/PS5 ecosystem surpasses 1 million this year. Expecting it to end up in the 800K range, so the PS5 can be somewhere in the region of 200-300K by the end of the year. But seemingly no PS5 game will surpass 100K this year physically. 

So we'd be looking at under 15% software and 15% hardware market share for the PS4/PS5 this year, with Final Fantasy VII, Ghost of Tsushima, Resident Evil 3, Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon & The Last of Us Part II as their top selling games. Situation for the PlayStation is even more complex next year, as Nintendo is starting to receive both huge third party titles, AA exclusives and multiplats. If Final Fantasy is pushed into 2022, they'd be lacking any game that historically is probable to surpass 500K, relying on Demon Slayer being both a hit and pushing hardware. 

Marth said:

Switch almost outsold PS5 this week at 116.2k

I am surprised it dropped 23k.

Switch was only 1.8k off to keep the lead.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 19 November 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Farsala said:
Marth said:

Switch almost outsold PS5 this week at 116.2k

I am surprised it dropped 23k.

Probably building up some stock for the HW:AoC and Momotaro releases this week.