By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - To celebrate Xbox Series X, I am going to play through the entire GoW franchise for the first time, and in chronological order (Current Game: Gears 5)

d21lewis said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Finished Gears 2. It was pretty up and down. Sometimes the repetitive gameplay got very stale, but they did a really good job inserting different sections where you aren’t just running from one kill room to the next to shoot Locust. I gotta say, the game looked impressive on the SX. I was surprised at how destructible everything was, too.

Story seems dumb. Where does humanity live after they sink their last city? And did the Locust not realize that if they sunk a city surrounded by ocean, the water would drown them? Or did the Queen just not care?

About to start 3 now.

You're asking the tough questions!

Well it becomes more clear with just playing the games, hard to say something without spoiling it...

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
d21lewis said:

You're asking the tough questions!

Well it becomes more clear with just playing the games, hard to say something without spoiling it...

No argument. Gears is one of, if not my absolute favorite series from the 7th gen. And it's even more fun with a friend or three. He'll get the full picture soon enough.

Twitter: @d21lewis

BasilZero said:

Hope you enjoy.

I've only played the first one's Ultimate Edition and 4 on GamePass PC.

Loved both - planning to play 5 soon since I recently got it on Steam.

Wish 2,3 and Judgment were on Game Pass PC at least.

If you dont mind using emulation im pretty sure Xenia can play all 3 perfectly now.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/gears-of-war-3-gears-of-war-judgement-are-fully-playable-on-pc-via-the-xbox-360-emulator-xenia/

I know its not exactly the same but if you own them on 360 why not?.

That or MS did talk about Xbox backward compat coming to PC before so hopefully we will hear something on that soon but that could be awhile too.

Last edited by zero129 - on 02 January 2021

So the Locust are mutating into Lambent, and the Queen was ok with flooding the Locust Hive or whatever after evacuating as many as they could, because it would also flood and drown the Lambent? Is that correct? Do future games explain why the humans were ok with sinking their last city, or was it for the same reason, Jacinto was worth drowning all of their enemies?

Got through Act 1 of Gears 3. On the one hand I hate the Lambent enemies, they are the definition of bullet sponges. They take so much ammo to kill, it makes it very boring. But then just when I was ready to say fuck it and stop playing for awhile, Locust show back up. Cool new grenades.

The writing for the Cole/Baird/Sam squad is top notch, reminds me of Gears 1. I’m waiting for Sam or whatever Carmine this is to die horribly. The last couple chapters of Act 1 saved it, hope it continues to be good from hear.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

So the Locust are mutating into Lambent, and the Queen was ok with flooding the Locust Hive or whatever after evacuating as many as they could, because it would also flood and drown the Lambent? Is that correct? Do future games explain why the humans were ok with sinking their last city, or was it for the same reason, Jacinto was worth drowning all of their enemies?

It makes more sense when you go trough the games and books etc.  Anyway without spoiling,  Jacinto is the last city with approximately 25 million people, the city was going to fall and when it would fall it would be the end for most of them.  Letting it sink will destroy atleast a huge group of locust and also gives the humans the ability to evacuate more safely.

Almost done with act 2.

One huge positive that I forgot to mention before, is the move to requiring you to hold X to pick up items. It removes accidentally picking up the wrong gun or something when you're just looking for ammo. Huge QoL change.

Completed Gears 3 and the Aftermath DLC in Judgement.

Gears 3 was pretty good. I guess this series relies more heavily on fans finding lore outside of the video games, there is a lot in the mainline games that is never explained very well but are apparently explained in the books and comics. Like the Queen for example. Who is she? Is she human? I even watched a video supposedly explaining her and even that person wasn't sure. I know Reyna from Tactics becomes the next Queen, I guess that happens in Gears 4?

I also didn't understand the lambent human part. These are supposed to be small patches of human survivors barely surviving and yet each location seems to have a hundred people turned into lambent. But that's a small gripe I guess. My favorite part of Gears 3 had to be Ice T as Aaron Griffin, when he calls Marcus a bitch and then slowly rides away in a trolley cart holding up a middle finger LOL.

I started Gears 4. Apparently I had already played up to chapter four in the first act, but I went ahead and started over. What a beginning! Three straight levels where you get to just annihilate people with turrets and shit. And you get to see Dom and Kim. I'm now just starting where you control JD, I remember you infiltrate some city and fight robots.

Made it to the second chapter of act 4. Apparently Gears 4 is not a very long game.

It’s cool how both Halo 4 and Gears 4 were the first games in their series after MS brought in another dev to continue the original devs work. Both introduced pretty radically different enemies into the fold. Halo 4 is easily my favorite Halo, but idk if I’d say Gears 4 is my favorite. The Snatchers and Pouncers are just boring bullet sponges.

Game looks fucking amazing. If this looks this good, Gears 5 should be pretty amazing visually.

LudicrousSpeed said:

1)Completed Gears 3 and the Aftermath DLC in Judgement.

2)Gears 3 was pretty good. I guess this series relies more heavily on fans finding lore outside of the video games, there is a lot in the mainline games that is never explained very well but are apparently explained in the books and comics.

3)Like the Queen for example. Who is she? Is she human? I even watched a video supposedly explaining her and even that person wasn't sure. I know Reyna from Tactics becomes the next Queen, I guess that happens in Gears 4?

4)I also didn't understand the lambent human part. These are supposed to be small patches of human survivors barely surviving and yet each location seems to have a hundred people turned into lambent. But that's a small gripe I guess.

My favorite part of Gears 3 had to be Ice T as Aaron Griffin, when he calls Marcus a bitch and then slowly rides away in a trolley cart holding up a middle finger LOL.

I started Gears 4. Apparently I had already played up to chapter four in the first act, but I went ahead and started over. What a beginning! Three straight levels where you get to just annihilate people with turrets and shit. 5)And you get to see Dom and Kim. I'm now just starting where you control JD, I remember you infiltrate some city and fight robots.

1) What about Raam's shadow dlc that one was great aswell.

2) Yeah and the comics are good/great while the books by Karen Traviss are amazingly good.

3) Continue with the franchises you will learn more :)

4) Well the stranded are everywhere, like the trashball Cole settlement had hundreds of people. 

5) Also from the Lore, it isn't Dom but his brother Carlos

And yeah Gears 4 is rather short, from the mainline it is my less favourite one.