By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - To celebrate Xbox Series X, I am going to play through the entire GoW franchise for the first time, and in chronological order (Current Game: Gears 5)

konnichiwa said:
Ashadelo said:

I finished Gears of War 1 last night. Man that game was superb. I liked it a lot more than 4 (which I played and beat last year, was my first GoW game) 1 had such a fantastic atmosphere, that game, has to be one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3/Wii era.

I started Gears of War 2 tonight. Noticed the graphics are a lot more colorful and the music is different, it's not..... horrorish? It's got a lot of orchestra star warsish style music. Seems really cool so far, but I am noot sure it will beat out 1 for me.

Yeah it is has a bit of a horrorish theme but before GOW2 everyone was complaining about how dark next gen games were , especially in the Unreal engine so the colour theme (and a ton of characters on screen) were because they wanted to show off the engine.  

Wow,i had no idea. Well that explains it, but the music in two is a lot different from 1. I need to replay 4 because its been a year and I dont remember the music standing out or maybe I just wasn't paying too close attention too it.

我是广州人

Around the Network

How come the name was changed to Gears 5 and not Gears of War 5? Is it starting a whole new Saga or something? What was the name for the name change? I wasnt sure if it was because they wanted to branch the series out into different directions, Gears numbered series, Gears Tactics, Gears (???) or what the reason was.

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:
konnichiwa said:

Yeah it is has a bit of a horrorish theme but before GOW2 everyone was complaining about how dark next gen games were , especially in the Unreal engine so the colour theme (and a ton of characters on screen) were because they wanted to show off the engine.  

Wow,i had no idea. Well that explains it, but the music in two is a lot different from 1. I need to replay 4 because its been a year and I dont remember the music standing out or maybe I just wasn't paying too close attention too it.

I loved Gears 1 music but 2 has some great songs aswell...  Prescot speech, and the scene + music is one of my favourite moments of the gears franchise (I use the song as my alarm clock).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OTrNNHoUo

Also they showed the new features that the unreal engine could do before GoW II release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4pe6UAS2M  

Thanks for the responses. And the lighting and shadow changes I noticed within the first 30 seconds of playing, was a huge difference imo, especially on the armor of your characters.

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:

I finished Gears of War 1 last night. Man that game was superb. I liked it a lot more than 4 (which I played and beat last year, was my first GoW game) 1 had such a fantastic atmosphere, that game, has to be one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3/Wii era.

I started Gears of War 2 tonight. Noticed the graphics are a lot more colorful and the music is different, it's not..... horrorish? It's got a lot of orchestra star warsish style music. Seems really cool so far, but I am noot sure it will beat out 1 for me.

Gears 2 is my favorite of the series. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Did you play regular Gears 1 or Ultimate Edition?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Ashadelo said:

Gears 2 is my favorite of the series. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Did you play regular Gears 1 or Ultimate Edition?

I played the regular edition, but on an xbox one s

我是广州人

I’m on Act 2 of the UE but I fear Cyberpunk will slow my Gears play through significantly.

I dont have time to play xbox everyday, usually a few times a week, thats why I have not updated. Right now I am in the Queen Hive (Gears 2) and Marcus' dad mentioned something about sinking the main city to flood out the Locust.

So here's my questions
#1 Marcus' Dad, when did we find out who he was? I know we went to the Fenix estate in GoW1 but I dont remember finding out much about his father, unless I missed it.
#2 is his dad a war hero or something? I know at the end of GoW1 he is in the chopper, but that was the first time I think I saw him. GoW1 unless it blew over my head, had little story. I didn't even know what the mission objectives were half the time until after we completed them.
#3 So without ruining any of the story for me. What exactly is going on? I know im on a mission to kill the Queen and that the Locust have a faction split with internal warfare. I also know that Gears of War 2 is a world wide war were as Gears of War 1 it was more confined to a city???

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:

I dont have time to play xbox everyday, usually a few times a week, thats why I have not updated. Right now I am in the Queen Hive (Gears 2) and Marcus' dad mentioned something about sinking the main city to flood out the Locust.

So here's my questions
#1 Marcus' Dad, when did we find out who he was? I know we went to the Fenix estate in GoW1 but I dont remember finding out much about his father, unless I missed it.
#2 is his dad a war hero or something? I know at the end of GoW1 he is in the chopper, but that was the first time I think I saw him. GoW1 unless it blew over my head, had little story. I didn't even know what the mission objectives were half the time until after we completed them.
#3 So without ruining any of the story for me. What exactly is going on? I know im on a mission to kill the Queen and that the Locust have a faction split with internal warfare. I also know that Gears of War 2 is a world wide war were as Gears of War 1 it was more confined to a city???

1. They leave a lot vague about Marcus's dad in the first but by the end of the third, all will be revealed. Same for the reason why Marcus was in prison when the first game begins.

2. See answer #1

3. The first game was global but only told the story of a few participants in a larger war. Your whole mission was to get a device into the heart of the locust tunnels so that you could map them. Unfortunately, the tunnels were so immense and expansive, they barely accomplished anything. The Cog even destroyed their own cities (with the Hammer of Dawn) in an attempt to stop the Locusts. By the end of the second game, there's only one city left that is safe for humans...

Finished Act 2 today. About halfway through Act 3 now.

I forgot about the Kryll section and the light. I just finished the cart section, which was a snooze fest. The part right before that where you have to walk on wooden planks super slowly was incredibly shitty.

Game still looks amazing sometimes. I really want to plow through these and experience Gears 5 and the Hivebusters DLC on the XSX.

Also, I hate how heavy everything sounds, but I am loving the banter and shit talking between the Gears as the game plays out.