By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - To celebrate Xbox Series X, I am going to play through the entire GoW franchise for the first time, and in chronological order (Current Game: Gears 5)

LudicrousSpeed said:

Finished Gears 5. I think it is my favorite one. I did the entire Halo play through last year, and when 343i took over from Bungie, they made Halo 4, which I thought was the best Halo. Then they followed it with Halo 5, probably the worst Halo. I am glad Coalition started strong with Gears of War 4 but improved upon it with Gears 5 and didn't see a Halo type drop off. Speaking solely about single player.

I think Gears 5 is probably the best looking game I have ever played. The Series X version anyway. Technically and sound wise it's incredible. And the weather in the game and the effects it has on enemies and shots/grenades, amazing stuff. Story wise I still think it's all kind of dumb, it's Gears, but gameplay wise it's extremely good. I have started the Hivebusters DLC and it looks even better, so much more colorful. And the writing between the squad seems very good.

Overall I'd rate the entire series, minus DLC, as follows:

Gears 5
GoW3
GoW4
Gears Tactics
GoW
GoW2
GoW Judgement

And I don't think any of them are bad games or anything. Judgement and GoW 2 are the lowest games on my ranking but they are still good. Gears 5 sets up for a Gears 6 very well. I hope they go all out more with the open world hub type gameplay kind of like Tomb Raider did, plus add more abilities and upgrades.

Spoiler

I saved JD in the game. But I can see them somehow bringing either of the guys back to life somehow, idk which choice is canon in the story.

If they decide to go the open world hub route again, they need to make serious changes. Add different vehicles and simply more to do. Considering how the open world segments weren't very popular among critics and gamers, I see them take that part out for the next installment. I hope they do add more vehicle sections in Gears 6, but in a more linear fashion like GoW2. 

Around the Network

I just beat GoW2. I still think I like GoW1 more. Im working through the games a lot slower cause I bought all the kingdom heart gamaes and beat KH1 last night.

Not sure if I should move onto GoW3 or start Neir

我是广州人

Gears 5 is also my favourite, about the choice you have to make I kind of hope TC goes with the numbers (basically go with the person who the majority of the community choose to live)

Gears 5 and 2 have my favorite campaigns. Really like how 5 explained what 2 hinted at - about the origins of the Locust - and how they made some lame characters way more interesting and likable (JD). They also gave Marcus and the old crew more protagonism and introduced new characters that actually add something to the game and are interesting, like Fahz, who I hated at first and ended up liking a ton.

I also like the Scorpio Team a lot.

I want to play GoW3 now but the code that I have (from GoW4 Ultimate Edition) says I need to change my language settings, which I have done many times and still unable to down the game.I was able to download the others, GoW, GoW2 and GoWJ. Anyone have any idea's how to fix this?

我是广州人

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

I want to play GoW3 now but the code that I have (from GoW4 Ultimate Edition) says I need to change my language settings, which I have done many times and still unable to down the game.I was able to download the others, GoW, GoW2 and GoWJ. Anyone have any idea's how to fix this?

Living in a region that does not have the language = fail/ For example living in Japan and changing it to English will not work.

So region + local language = It works.

The worst things Gears 4 and 5 had working against them was that we weren't playing as our beloved Delta Team. Still great games, though. Gears 5 may have been my favorite overall game of 2019.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I personally love the series (Except Judgement). And they all get better with a friend!

LudicrousSpeed said:

Finished Gears 5. I think it is my favorite one. I did the entire Halo play through last year, and when 343i took over from Bungie, they made Halo 4, which I thought was the best Halo. Then they followed it with Halo 5, probably the worst Halo. I am glad Coalition started strong with Gears of War 4 but improved upon it with Gears 5 and didn't see a Halo type drop off. Speaking solely about single player.

I think Gears 5 is probably the best looking game I have ever played. The Series X version anyway. Technically and sound wise it's incredible. And the weather in the game and the effects it has on enemies and shots/grenades, amazing stuff. Story wise I still think it's all kind of dumb, it's Gears, but gameplay wise it's extremely good. I have started the Hivebusters DLC and it looks even better, so much more colorful. And the writing between the squad seems very good.

Overall I'd rate the entire series, minus DLC, as follows:

Gears 5
GoW3
GoW4
Gears Tactics
GoW
GoW2
GoW Judgement

And I don't think any of them are bad games or anything. Judgement and GoW 2 are the lowest games on my ranking but they are still good. Gears 5 sets up for a Gears 6 very well. I hope they go all out more with the open world hub type gameplay kind of like Tomb Raider did, plus add more abilities and upgrades.

Spoiler

I saved JD in the game. But I can see them somehow bringing either of the guys back to life somehow, idk which choice is canon in the story.

I saved Dell and hope his survival is canon  as I think Marcus losing his son can be more interesting story-wise. also have you checked out the Hive busters dlc? I think it's even better than the main campaign of gears 5

I saved Del, as well. I kinda didn't like JD. He was a Nathan Drake wannabe. And as Badmann said, it opens up some interesting possibilities for character development.

I saved JD because I like Marcus and he lost his father/mother/Wife/Best friend and now his son....it is heartbreaking..