By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hinting it up:

22) This game had a lot of controversy at launch and has changed much since. I liked it almost since day 1 though.

Hint 2: The reason I say almost is that the game was pretty much unplayable on day 1 for most people.

21) Hardware based plot twist.

Hint 2: For the DS.

20) Few games have been as dominating in their genre as this.

Hint 2: No need to overthink this, it's a genre were one game has consistently been the most popular since its release.

19) This isn't the first or last appearance in this franchise of a certain happy character, but it is the only time he has a role in the main story.

Hint 2: Despite his name he never really sells anything.

22. Final Fantasy 14?
21. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hinting it up:

22) This game had a lot of controversy at launch and has changed much since. I liked it almost since day 1 though.

Hint 2: The reason I say almost is that the game was pretty much unplayable on day 1 for most people.

21) Hardware based plot twist.

Hint 2: For the DS.

20) Few games have been as dominating in their genre as this.

Hint 2: No need to overthink this, it's a genre were one game has consistently been the most popular since its release.

19) This isn't the first or last appearance in this franchise of a certain happy character, but it is the only time he has a role in the main story.

Hint 2: Despite his name he never really sells anything.

22. Final Fantasy 14?
21. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story?

Nope to both

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

mZuzek said:

#19 - This was the first game in the series to have the protagonist talk in monologues. The second game to do this was very infamous for it.
Hint 2 - This is still the last release in the mainline series (not including remakes), yet to receive a sequel in almost 20 years since.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Total Annihilation (PC)

Change YOY: -7

Though it has the dubious distinction of being the game with the biggest drop from last year's list alongside Okami, Total Annihilation is still the highest ranking RTS on it. Certain aspects like the graphics and especially the enemy AI have certainly aged by today's standards, but none of that has diminished my enjoyment of the game whatsoever.

One of the many fun memories I have of Total Annihilation is playing the game with friends over LAN. One of the interesting little touches found in the game is that the screen shakes a little when a big explosion happens, and if another happens immediately after it shakes a little more. We ended up building so many nuclear missiles and other massive weapons and putting them all into use at the same time, that eventually the screen began shaking so much it was jumping from one end of the map to another several times every second, making the game essentially unplayable. 

Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

Change YOY: NEW

The only game from 2020 on my list, effectively making this my GotY. Initially I was cautiously optimistic about the remake when it was first announced, especially when we were told the game would be split into several parts, but now that I've actually played it I have no issues whatsoever with that, it's a brilliant game. It's difficult to compare the remake to the original quite yet, just because it basically covers just the first 10 or so hours of the PS1 classic, but what I've seen so far makes me very optimistic about the future of the series.

I loved how the remake expanded on the Midgar section from the original, as well as how the characters were given so much more detail and backstory. This was especially great for a lot of the side characters who became so much more interesting in the remake now that they were more than just a name. The battle system is also excellent, the first time the mix of real-time and turn-based combat has worked perfectly in S-E's games. Visually the game is gorgeous, and the soundtrack is the best of the whole year as far as I'm concerned. The best game of the year is a remake of a small part of a PS1 classic from 23 years ago, and I have absolutely no issue with that. Funny how that works sometimes.

Last edited by Darashiva - on 14 December 2020

Yes I ranked Zelda II the adventure of link above the first Zelda. It was what led to my current grinding addiction in RPG's that i've suffered from for 32 years. For some reason the longer and more tedious the grind the more I enjoy it. MMO's attract me for this reason, but I try to stay away from them, it never ends.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Next set of hints:

-The intro sees your teacher defect to the enemy's side

-Gardens to train soldiers

-Fragments of the primordial man causing chaos in kingdoms throughout history

-Searching for the greatest pirate treasure of all time

-The sequel to this game proved to be very controversial in certain circles, deserved or not

Darashiva said:

Next set of hints:

-The sequel to this game proved to be very controversial in certain circles, deserved or not

14: Final Fantasy 8?

12: Skies of Arcadia

DroidKnight said:

Yes I ranked Zelda II the adventure of link above the first Zelda. It was what led to my current grinding addiction in RPG's that i've suffered from for 32 years. For some reason the longer and more tedious the grind the more I enjoy it. MMO's attract me for this reason, but I try to stay away from them, it never ends.

Grinding gets an undeservedly bad name IMO.  Grinding can be fun as long as the combat mechanics are fun.  Zelda 2 is a great example of a game with fun combat.

d21lewis said:
Darashiva said:

Next set of hints:

14: Final Fantasy 8?

12: Skies of Arcadia

Yes to 14, no to 12.

DroidKnight said:

I agree with Liquid. Grinding can be fun and pretty much every activity can be seen as grindy. It is more a mindset towards the task in a game, if that action is fun or seen as a chore. Game design can obviously influence this, this results in some games are seen as more grindy than others, but it also has a lot to do with different gamers, so many enjoy games which others think are grind. So power to you

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]