By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:

OK, two games are guessed, but not the first two I have to reveal. So I give another hint to #50, so that hopefully someone gets it.

Play the cards and roll the dice!
The dev is now owned by Microsoft.
A pen&paper RPG converted to a card game as a video game.
Manage your own party to find your path in this adventure.
This mobile game features the first adventure path of a series, happening in Varisia starting with a goblin adventure in Sandpoint.

Sally looks for Emily.
A nightmare.
Play at the Bachman school, an arcade and a mine.
There is no working Tequila as far as I know in the game, but Soda cans that can be used to distract monsters.

#48: Ring Fit Adventure as guessed by Supermario28.

#47: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as guessed by Jpcc86.

Craft to survive and try to escape.

#50 is Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Darashiva said:

Correct on #50, and a good guess for 46 but not quite. You have the right word there though.

I take it its Rogue Galaxy then, right? 

That's the one.

OTBWY said:
Mnementh said:

OK, two games are guessed, but not the first two I have to reveal. So I give another hint to #50, so that hopefully someone gets it.

This mobile game features the first adventure path of a series, happening in Varisia starting with a goblin adventure in Sandpoint.

Sally looks for Emily.
A nightmare.
There is no working Tequila as far as I know in the game, but Soda cans that can be used to distract monsters.

#50 is Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Kingmaker is not a mobile game and not a card game though. Mayhaps you want to point to a different Pathfinder game?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:

I'm glad to see this thread taking off today, it had been pretty stale earlier. Anyways, it's already November 12th, and I haven't had my first game guessed, so I'm gonna make it really obvious and whoever sees this first gets the credits.

#50 - It has sandworms, but it didn't use to have.
Hint 2 - It was an extremely controversial game on a very mainstream level.
Hint 3 - It's a lot like Minecraft, but people wanted it to be like Star Wars.

No Man's Sky?

I know next to nothing about this game though, so maybe everyone will laugh at me now, but this made me think of that.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

47. Why start using roman numerals now?

Mega Man X?

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Sally looks for Emily.
A nightmare.

50 Pathfinder Adventures?

46 Minecraft?

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

#50 - It has sandworms, but it didn't use to have.
Hint 2 - It was an extremely controversial game on a very mainstream level.
Hint 3 - It's a lot like Minecraft, but people wanted it to be like Star Wars.

No Man's Sky?

I know next to nothing about this game though, so maybe everyone will laugh at me now, but this made me think of that.

No need to laugh at you when the guess is correct.

Nice.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Sally looks for Emily.
A nightmare.

50 Pathfinder Adventures?

46 Minecraft?

Finally someone got my #50, so I can start my list. Yes, Pathfinder Adventures. Minecraft is wrong though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

47. Why start using roman numerals now?

Mega Man X?

Nope, that aint it.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

#50Pathfinder Adventures
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser
platformAndroid
release year2016
developer/publisherObsidian Entertainment/Asmodee Digital/Paizo
genreturn-based strategy/tactics card game/RPG
linksPathfinder Wiki, trailer, Moby games

I always think mobile is a valid gaming platform. And so I thought some day a mobile game will make my TOP 50. But so far they just didn't make the cut (although Hearthstone was a honorable mention). Now I have one mobile game in my list, even if only on #50.

So what is this game? Well, it is based on Paizo's Pathfinder Roleplaying rules and their adventure paths. These Pen&Paper rules are adapted for a cooperative card game, which in turn is implemented as video game here. And the game delivers in mirroring the complexity of a Pen&Paper roleplaying game.

You can choose between different heroes to fill your party and take on adventures. The heroes have stats that can be improved when they finish certain adventures. They also each have their own stack of cards, consisting of different types of cards. For instance the fighter has a lot of weapon cards, while the wizard has many spell cards. An adventure consists of multiple locations, each having their own location cards. The heroes uncover these cards and find either loot or obstacles. If they meet obstacles, they can use their cards to activate skills to overcome the obstacle. Depending on the card and on the attribute and skill values of the character you have different dice rolls. To finish an adventure you have to find and defeat a boss card before the turn-counter runs out.

That is initially kinda complicated, but the multitude of options make for an interesting game. Depending on the hero and the obstacles, things can go very different ways. The presentation is done mostly through static background images with light animations and some effects for playing the cards or using skills. Nothing super fancy, but it does work

Overall it is a pretty well done brainteasing game. It can be quite hard and luck is a component - after all the order of the cards is random and that can sometime be pretty bad. But you can always try again, and even if you fail on an adventure at first you will manage it eventually.

If you don't want to play it on mobile, it is also available on PC by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBFv-TUABY&ab_channel=ObsidianEntertainment