By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Two were guessed, so I’ll give a second hint for these;

#50: Due to the graphics being up to anyone's imagination with these old games, the European box art made it as if we'd be in the Wild West, while the American’s thought it was the start of the next century. If you're Veknoid, you've guessed this plenty of years already.

Hint 2: Maybe it’s because of two things; you look like a cowboy, but your bullets ricochet off the trees (I guess the triangles are trees), which is pretty sci-fi.

#49: Something happens during half time in this old sports game that doesn't happen in real life on the continent where this sport is most popular. I guess Nintendo didn't know.

Hint 2: Because cheerleading is not a thing in Europe.

#48: This game is extremely obscure, but is, unknown to me at the time, a clone of an NES game where a sorcerer, the player, creates blocks to solve puzzles. I'll take the NES game as an answer. Guessed by Darashiva

#47: Features a character you just want to shoot. Guessed by Darashiva

#46: You are called a rookie because you're a new pilot, which strangely is also your name, even though you've already had an adventure.

Hint 2: Still at one point you get a teacher, where you should “follow [his] lead, and do as [he] say”.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

49) A very famous video game character has a birthday.

Bugs Bunny’s Birthday Blowout.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Supermario28 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

47. Why start using roman numerals now?

Mega Man X?

Nope, that aint it.

RESIDENT EV.I.l (7) ?

Not it either no.

Battlefield V?

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Supermario28 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

47. Why start using roman numerals now?

Mega Man X?

Nope, that aint it.

RESIDENT EV.I.l (7) ?

Not it either no.

Battlefield V?

LOL, the quote tree on this starts to look very interesting. (-:

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Change YOY: -6

To this day this is the only Dragon Quest game I've ever played. None of the previous games had been released in Europe up to that point, and the later titles until Dragon Quest XI, which I just haven't gotten around to yet, came out on systems I didn't have.

Regardless, I immediately fell in love with Journey of the Cursed King the moment I started playing it. I loved the visual style and overall look of the world, the music was excellent from the start, and then as I continued playing the characters and story also grew on me. I really need to find some time to go back and replay the game, since it's now been at least 12 years since I finished it the first and so far only time. Here's one of my favourite pieces of music from the game's soundtrack, composed by Koichi Sugiyama.

Around the Network

As todays game still needs to be guessed, I drop another hint:

Sally looks for Emily.
A nightmare.
Play at the Bachman school, an arcade and a mine.
There is no working Tequila as far as I know in the game, but Soda cans that can be used to distract monsters.
The arcade level has a machine with the developers previous game Rime.

#48: Ring Fit Adventure as guessed by Supermario28.

#47: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as guessed by Jpcc86.

#46: Don't Starve as guessed by Supermario28.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#49 Hint: Once again the main character has to deal with an evil giant bird... and a spider, and a wolf, and a toad... but at least this time he's got the tools to fight back.

Signature goes here!

Ok let's try this! My list is finally complete.

If you pardon my english, we can start:

#50: I'm a Man, I'm the third. In one particular country I'm stone, in the others I'm giant. Either way, I look the same.

#49: It's a movie adaptation that is not GoldenEye 007

#48: Usually overshadowed by his uncle, the main character of this game finally gets in the title for once. ||| Diddy Kong Racing

#47: But #48's uncle always finds a way to come back ||| Donkey King Country Returns

#46: The main characters have to find food to bring back to their planet. ||| Pikmin 3

Last edited by Supermario28 - on 13 November 2020

TruckOSaurus said:
#49 Hint: Once again the main character has to deal with an evil giant bird... and a spider, and a wolf, and a toad... but at least this time he's got the tools to fight back.

Ori and the will of the wisps

Jpcc86 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, just sent my list in, so now I can start giving clues.

50) This GBA game is based on a classic Japanese cartoon character.

48) The hero's name is the villain's name spelled backwards.

47) It's just you and your horse.

48 - Castlevania SOTN

Correct!

UnderwaterFunktown said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, just sent my list in, so now I can start giving clues.

50) This GBA game is based on a classic Japanese cartoon character.

48) The hero's name is the villain's name spelled backwards.

47) It's just you and your horse.

47) Shadow of the Colossus?

Correct!

S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Bugs Bunny’s Birthday Blowout.

Incorrect.