By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:

I like all those quotes to my posts telling people their guesses for someone else's game are wrong, not realizing that those games have already been guessed anyway. Umm, that was a confusing phrase. Whatever. Next up!

#39 - The final boss thinks you're a slimy little hipster.

Splatoon

Also sadly only in the US version

Around the Network

Suikoden II

Change YoY: -1

Suikoden II is another game that I only got around to playing for the first time a few years ago. I never had the game on the PS1, so it wasn't until the release of both this and the first game on PSN that I had the change to play them. I'm very glad that I did, as Suikoden II especially is among the best JRPGs I've ever played.

The star of the game is the storyline filled with political intrigue and genuine subtlety rarely seen in video games. That doesn't mean the rest of the game is bad by any means, as the characters, music and gameplay are also great, but it is the story that sets Suikoden II apart from most other games. I also really like the visual design of the game, which despite being obviously dated by today's standards still look very good in my opinion. Suikoden as a series was never going to rival the likes of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy in terms of commercial success, but in terms of quality this game in particular can stand right alongside any game from those two series without question.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Runa216 said:

Close but not quite. Same franchise but different sub-series. 

Megaman X4?

Dingdingding! Good stuff!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Megaman X4?

I love that game. Zero is the best, I think I've done maybe 3-4 playthroughs with Mega Man and over 20 with Zero.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Runa216 said:

I love that game. Zero is the best, I think I've done maybe 3-4 playthroughs with Mega Man and over 20 with Zero.

IT's certainly harder, what with the close proximity to the enemies, but man the combat is so much more satisfying. I do prefer Megaman's upgrade path (the armour parts are cool as hell), but Zero is just a more satisfying avatar. And therein lies why it's on my list! Variety! quality! Satisfying gameplay! I'll give another hint: there are 5 Mega Man games on my list, X1-4 and Mega Man 2. Up to you to find out where on the list they lie. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

#39 - A popular video game mascot and his friends play dress up

Answer: Mario Party 2

#38 - You could think of this GBA title as "Think Fast: The Game" (Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser)

Answer: Warioware Inc.: Mega Microgame$

#37 - Some "spells" in this game include "Fairy Faire", "Tempesta", "Baracuda Spin", "Stardust Whip", and the series' staple "Bayo-en!"

This Gamecube title wasn't quite Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine...

#36 - Fans of this popular series consider this game to be a "bright spot" in a string of rather disappointing games

Released as a 3D platformer on a home console, and a 2D one on a handheld.

TruckOSaurus said:
Runa216 said:

Never really got into Megaman X. I love the classic Megaman, but X (and all the others, like .EXE for instance) never clicked with me.

50 - Portal

49 - Guitar Hero 2

48 - Resident Evil 4

47 - Super Mario Odyssey

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.
- This sequel added a co-op mode that, while not as story rich, I've never actually completed due to not having a coop partner to do it with!
- "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your D*** lemons, what the h*** am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

45 - Mario Kart 8

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - Mega Man X4

41 - Red Dead Redemption

40 - This game helped to popularize the idea of selling to customers before the official game was released.
- It is one of the best-selling games of all time and has popularized a subgenre including procedural generation.

39 - This game is heavily featured on GameMaker's Toolkit, for its episodic level design that improves on 2D Mario's formula.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

50 - Portal

49 - Guitar Hero 2

48 - Resident Evil 4

47 - Super Mario Odyssey

- This sequel added a co-op mode that, while not as story rich, I've never actually completed due to not having a coop partner to do it with!
- "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your D*** lemons, what the h*** am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

45 - Mario Kart 8

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - Mega Man X4

41 - Red Dead Redemption

40 - This game helped to popularize the idea of selling to customers before the official game was released.
- It is one of the best-selling games of all time and has popularized a subgenre including procedural generation.

39 - This game is heavily featured on GameMaker's Toolkit, for its episodic level design that improves on 2D Mario's formula.

#40 Minecraft eventually?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Runa216 said:

50 - Portal

49 - Guitar Hero 2

48 - Resident Evil 4

47 - Super Mario Odyssey

45 - Mario Kart 8

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - Mega Man X4

41 - Red Dead Redemption

#46: Portal 2 (I'll never trust GLaDOS enough to call her my ally though)

Signature goes here!