By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:

#44: A 30 year old game similar to Metroid

Originally an Commodore 64 exclusive, later ported to the Amiga, PC and the Megadrive/Genesis

I believe this is Turrican??? it released on the GB as well. 

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Originally an Commodore 64 exclusive, later ported to the Amiga, PC and the Megadrive/Genesis

I believe this is Turrican??? it released on the GB as well. 

You are again correct!

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Looks like it's a bit too difficult, so here are some hints:

#50: best PC exclusive beat'em up - and it's totally free now!

Hint #1: The fighters are not humans, but giant robots the size of a small skyscraper.

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

#47: You can belly dance in this series, but in this game, unlike the others, you can't transform

Hint #1: You fight ennemies mostly by whipping your hair at them. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, found out by Jpcc86

#46: Summon Volcanoes or dig craters in this very innovative shooter/genre mix

Hint #1: Has an Arabian Nights setting.

Originally an Commodore 64 exclusive, later ported to the Amiga, PC and the Megadrive/Genesis Turrican, fount out by Jpcc86

#50 must be One Must Fall, a great game which was in the past on my list too. I love how your mechanic is mad at you if you won, but got a lot of damage. And the news reports about your fight.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Looks like it's a bit too difficult, so here are some hints:

#50: best PC exclusive beat'em up - and it's totally free now!

Hint #1: The fighters are not humans, but giant robots the size of a small skyscraper.

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

#47: You can belly dance in this series, but in this game, unlike the others, you can't transform

Hint #1: You fight ennemies mostly by whipping your hair at them. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, found out by Jpcc86

#46: Summon Volcanoes or dig craters in this very innovative shooter/genre mix

Hint #1: Has an Arabian Nights setting.

Originally an Commodore 64 exclusive, later ported to the Amiga, PC and the Megadrive/Genesis Turrican, fount out by Jpcc86

#50 must be One Must Fall, a great game which was in the past on my list too. I love how your mechanic is mad at you if you won, but got a lot of damage. And the news reports about your fight.

Yeah, I saw you had it in 2017 on your list - and even on the same spot.

And I love the mechanic too. He rants if you do badly, but if you do well, he brags that you certainly must have watched his old fights...

42) Hotline Miami

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of patience with indie games. Games that others seem to see as quirky and unique I just see as tiresome and frustrating with poor production values. And yet, a game like this just couldn't have worked in any other style than low-res top-down 8 bit. It's nothing like the first game of its kind and yet it feels amazingly fresh - the slightly creepy Miami setting, the ridiculously over-the-top gore, the fast pace, and those cool animal-mask powers all combine to make this game actually quite a profound emotional experience and a huge amount of fun despite the frustration of having to play some levels over and over again.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

42 l080 n64
i dont know what to say it felt like actual boarding back then and dont forget the MP

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

#42Spiritfarer
guessed bySupermario28
platformSwitch
release year2020
developer/publisherThunder Lotus Games
genremanagement simulation
links Wikipedia, Mobygames

Spiritfarer caught my attention right away I saw it the first time in an Xbox presentation. Later it was shown in a Nintendo Direct... and released right away, so I picked it up.

In Spiritfarer you play Stella, who meets in the beginning Charon. He is retiring, so he gives you the job as the new ferrymen. As the most important tool he gives you the everlight. Daffodil - your cat - grabs one as well and can be played by a coop-partner. After that he sends you out to find a boat, as he explain one will materialize for you, as it always do. And so you set out in the world. You get your boat, you find the deer spirit Gwen, who helps you introducing you to your gameplay.

From then on you basically ferry around the world, collect materials to create buildings on your ferry. You also meet spirits of deceased person which you take onto your ferry. Each of them is taking on the form of an animal. They all have wishes in form of quests, which you go on to satisfy. In the time you get to know each spirit better, as they talk about the life they had, the things that they enjoy, their fears and so on.

Once they are reaching a certain point the spirits are ready to move on, and you go on and bring them to the everdoor, to reach the afterlife. So in basic the gameplay loop is: befriend spirits and once you are good friend with them say goodbye forever.

Despite it's themes the game feels kind of positive about all. It celebrates the life instead of dwelling on the death. Especially in 2020 and with stress from work it gave me some needed relaxation.

The world consists of different islands with different inhabitants and resources. You also have some events in which you can collect resources, for instance you can catch lightning in a bottle in a thunderstorm. And obviously this raccoon is asking way too high prices for what it's selling!

The game has a pretty comic-like artstyle and nice music.

Spiritfarer is released on pretty much every modern platform, so you can get it everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKJ-NuSjNE

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

I guess it's time for the next bunch of games to guess.

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 20 November 2020

Here's some hints from a couple more of my games.

40.  Part of the gameplay of this game involves obtaining 3 keys to open up 3 different gates.  Kinda like the plot to Ready Player One.

39.  This gameplay on this SNES entry is closer the to the original arcade version of the series than it is to the NES entry.

Mnementh said:

I guess it's time for the next bunch of games to guess.

After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.

39) Baldur's Gate III?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat