By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

UnderwaterFunktown said:

44) Super Smash Bros. (64)?

42) ehh, Kingdom Hearts?

40) Artifact? (not that I really know much about it)

S.Peelman said:

43: Pokemon Yellow?

44) Super smash bros - Correct!

42) Kingdome hearts - Correct!

40) Nope

43) Pokemon Yellow - Correct!

Well done!

Adding some more hints

#41 This game was ahead of its time, literary. The dream team created something really special, never thought a robot could make me cry. 

#40 When tired of mobas and just want to play chess with Valve. Released both on steam and on mobile phones this auto battle fine tunes what the mod did.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

44: The biggest hype ever. GTA? Fortnite? Fall Guys? Minecraft? No.. this.

Hint 2: A few years ago, and I guess that's still somewhat going on, there was a resurgence of the stratospheric popularity of this franchise where players went out to do what you digitally do in this game in real life. In the between time the franchise's popularity didn't really go away, but it was never as huge as it was at the start.

Probably Pokemon. I guess the first one, so Blue/Red

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:

Some second hints for those that weren't guessed yet;

45: The cities in this game actually grow when you upgrade them. So cool, but sadly this graphical feature was removed again in newer games.

Hint 2: It's probably due to the fact that the big cities, especially the four huge ones, grow so much that they cover half a province on the campaign map when fully grown. In later games cities were represented by small model again like in previous games.

44: The biggest hype ever. GTA? Fortnite? Fall Guys? Minecraft? No.. this.

Hint 2: A few years ago, and I guess that's still somewhat going on, there was a resurgence of the stratospheric popularity of this franchise where players went out to do what you digitally do in this game in real life. In the between time the franchise's popularity didn't really go away, but it was never as huge as it was at the start.

43: This latest game in the franchise was already huge, but now that the second and latest expansion was released, you now have five worlds full of islands to settle.

Hint 2: These five world maps cover most of the corners of the world; two in the 'old world' (Europe), one in the 'new world' (Latin America), one in the North Pole and one in Africa.

42: Literally just a palet swap of a famous RTS game. Guessed by Ka-pi96

41: In the early 2000s the Quake 3 engine was the engine to build your game with. Plenty of games used it, especially first person shooter games. It's not yet time for a Star Wars game, but it is time for a game from another galactic franchise.

Hint 2: It follows a special forces team made to deal with the threats of an uncharted area of space, where the main ship was stranded in during the tv-show it's based on.

44) should have guessed it with the first hint: Pokémon GO!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Damn, I missed the start completely!

So, since I missed so much time, here's hints for several games:

#50: best PC exclusive beat'em up - and it's totally free now!

#49: The game that put the RTS genre in a fantasy setting on the map

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

#47: You can belly dance in this series, but in this game, unlike the others, you can't transform

#46: Summon Volcanoes or dig craters in this very innovative shooter/genre mix

I think that'll do for now.

Time to add some new stuff:

43) Beating a stage in this game is often followed by a lot of blood.

Hint 2: A sequel to this game was shown off in a Nindies showcase at one point, but has yet to release.

42) The MC of this game recently went through plastic surgery

41) Not a place to be a hero.

40) As any speedrunner is sure to know, moving backwards is quicker than moving forwards in this game.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Kantor said:

41: Video games based on a movie are never good, unless that movie is based on a video game.

Ratchet & Clank? The R&C remake is the only game based on a move based on a game that I can think of at least.

Correct! I'd never actually played the original (or watched the movie) so it was my first time experiencing it.

Reposting since nobody has got it yet:

42: Nihilism in 8-bit video game form. The real lesson is not to follow orders.

And an extra hint: Florida is known for being a violent place...

Fountain of Dreams?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) As any speedrunner is sure to know, moving backwards is quicker than moving forwards in this game.

Ocarina of time?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Super Mario 64?

Pajderman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Ocarina of time?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Super Mario 64?

Nope, none of these.

TruckOSaurus said:
Kantor said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Kantor said:

41: Video games based on a movie are never good, unless that movie is based on a video game.

Ratchet & Clank? The R&C remake is the only game based on a move based on a game that I can think of at least.

Correct! I'd never actually played the original (or watched the movie) so it was my first time experiencing it.

Reposting since nobody has got it yet:

42: Nihilism in 8-bit video game form. The real lesson is not to follow orders.

And an extra hint: Florida is known for being a violent place...

Hotline Miami

Correct! But before we get to that:

43) DOOM (2016)

This game really surprised me. I'm not usually an FPS fan, and the Wolfenstein remakes that came out around this time bored me to tears. I think a few things really stand out about this game though: amazingly beautiful environments; a huge variety of enemies necessitating different strategies; fantastic weapons that actually pack a punch; an upgrade and progression system that really makes you feel like you're growing stronger over time. This game was the best in terms of power fantasy that I've played for a very long time.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective