By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox, and is the only new console that "feels" next-gen from the first moment

Is PS5 the only gen 9 system?

yes 10 38.46%

YES, but in CAPS. 16 61.54%

Total:26
TruckOSaurus said:
I'm not sure I dig the "cards" feature. Part of the fun of Spiderman PS4 was swinging around New York on the way to an objective, having something catch your eye and opt to do that instead. I guess you don't have to use it but I feel it breaks the pace of the game, making it just a series of missions.

At least it is optional, just hope that doesn't break game development thought.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Haptic feedback is only relevant on Sony consoles I guess. Anywhere else and it would be a gimmik. Amazing how fast that opinion SWITCHED up.

For real though, saying either console is "not next gen" or that one "transcends" the other is hilarious. This is shaping up to be the most interesting gen we have had in a long time, and I for one am excited for it (regardless of what I am playing on).

I have a Switch and I really like its HD Rumble, it has/had potential. Sadly its so overlooked and underutilized in most of Switch games. The DualSense is getting a lot of praise from the media, influencers and reviewers. Most saying its quite revolutionary and is a huge jump from the HD rumble in the Switch in what it can do. And it being the most 'next gen' thing in the new consoles - whether you can take this is a good or bad thing is up to you.

Again this is more of something different. Like the Wii, with the Wiimote though not to that extreme. If you go past the flamboyant title, and read/watch some reviews on the PS5, using the DS provides a unique experience and thats certainly going to garner some attention. As always its best to try it out for yourself before claiming gimmick. Just like Wii and Wiimote and look at it now with VR, its everywhere.

Last edited by hinch - on 09 November 2020

I don't think that MS is concerned too much about comparisons, generations and even sales (to some extent of course) of their next-gen system. It is pretty clear to me that they just want to expand game pass availability to as many systems/options and price ranges as possible. That's why it's bundled with all XB systems, that's why the series s exists, that's why they offer 0% finance options, that's why it works on every Win10 machine and finally, why xCloud comes in with the package (which brings the game pass to pretty much everything with a working screen and internet connection). And if they could, they'd bring the game pass to PS5 too. For MS it isn't just another Xbox generation, it's the game pass generation.

Yes true. Controller, with 3d sound and the new UI, where as xbox is playing it safe.

Dualsense is impressive but as time goes on I think most of its features will be forgotten about by developers.

Around the Network
hinch said:

@chakkra all software related and can be sorted with a patch. Besides that is all fluff. People are more excited to play new, next generation games with new experiences /shrug

hehehe, of course.

jason1637 said:
Dualsense is impressive but as time goes on I think most of its features will be forgotten about by developers.

Unfortunately is a very likely outcome.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

chakkra said:
hinch said:

@chakkra all software related and can be sorted with a patch. Besides that is all fluff. People are more excited to play new, next generation games with new experiences /shrug

hehehe, of course.

Well, I'll bite. Its software, all of those features you stated are supported by the hardware. Not that they will all come over. VRR is definitely being patched in a later date as will external storage for PS5 games. But continue trolling.

Besides you just picked faults with the console and didn't even properly look or address OP.

hinch said:
chakkra said:
hinch said:

hehehe, of course.

Well, I'll bite. Its software, all of those features you stated are supported by the hardware. Not that they will all come over. VRR is definitely being patched in a later date as will external storage for PS5 games. But continue trolling.

Besides you just picked faults with the console and didn't even properly look or address OP.

Okay, let me see if I understand this. The OP makes a post claiming this is the only "true" next-gen console and I point out a list of features that a "true" next-gen console should have at launch, and somehow I'm the one trolling.

A three word reply, ridiculing someones response isn't trolling. Right. Anyway, I'm not sure how not having VRR, 1440P or having support for storage for games (out the gate) is not a next gen experience.

If that's what excites you for the next generation of consoles then sure why not. Most would see them as nice features but not essential to have right now. And reviewers have pointed these flaws out, doing some head to head comparisons with both consoles. However that goes both ways and reviewers are more receptive of the new features of the PS5. Not that there's anything wrong with either approach both are great consoles.

Last edited by hinch - on 09 November 2020