By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox, and is the only new console that "feels" next-gen from the first moment

Is PS5 the only gen 9 system?

yes 10 38.46%

YES, but in CAPS. 16 61.54%

Total:26

And the Wii felt more next gen than the ps360 because of the controller yes /s

Around the Network

I'm not swayed.

Nah, I think it is the same thing as XBX just slightly slower on teraflops and quicker on loading ram.The controller that everyone is talking about will probably end up being just a gimmick for a lot of people. PS4 controller seemed to be so cool with a speaker, touch controls, but in the end nobody uses it and a lot of people even dont like rumble and turn if off, like competitive games for example.It will be heavily used and make a difference only on sony studios games.

Lol, wth is this? I guess this does one thing. It answers the question if the Switch is gen 8 or 9. Hd rumble gen 9 exclusive.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Nah, I think it is the same thing as XBX just slightly slower on teraflops and quicker on loading ram.The controller that everyone is talking about will probably end up being just a gimmick for a lot of people. PS4 controller seemed to be so cool with a speaker, touch controls, but in the end nobody uses it and a lot of people even dont like rumble and turn if off, like competitive games for example.It will be heavily used and make a difference only on sony studios games.

Completely new controller, re-hauled UI, native 3D sound support for most launch games. 1st party games at launch. The SSD is also significantly faster (2x) raw throughput and can load games instantaneously. XsX/S is no slouch and has advantages of its own, like quick resume, slight edge in horsepower but its more iterative step for hardware. There's also no new 1st party to showcase its potential yet. Of course early days, in a few years time Xbox will have a load of games.

Most third parties from PS5 previews seem smitten over DualSense and have implemented (or plan to) it into their games. And the same with people who've tried it. List of games with support already - https://www.androidcentral.com/list-ps5-games-dualsense-haptic-feedback-adaptive-triggers

Last edited by hinch - on 09 November 2020

Around the Network

Well, if the inability to add more storage at launch, the inability to use an external storage to save your Next-gen games, the lack of VRR, the lack of Auto Low Latency Mode, the inability to output 1440p resolution, the inability to stream or record 4K video, and the lack of a Quick Resume mode means next generation, then yes, I guess this is the only next-gen console.

So now that we know for a fact that PS5 power is not what everybody was trying to paint and that Xbox is technically superior, the narrative changed so the UI and controller gimmicks are what make a new generation. Game Critics really live inside a bubble.

@chakkra all software related and can be sorted with a patch. Besides that is all fluff. People are more excited to play new, next generation games with new experiences /shrug

I'm not sure I dig the "cards" feature. Part of the fun of Spiderman PS4 was swinging around New York on the way to an objective, having something catch your eye and opt to do that instead. I guess you don't have to use it but I feel it breaks the pace of the game, making it just a series of missions.

Signature goes here!

Haptic feedback is only relevant on Sony consoles I guess. Anywhere else and it would be a gimmik. Amazing how fast that opinion SWITCHED up.

For real though, saying either console is "not next gen" or that one "transcends" the other is hilarious. This is shaping up to be the most interesting gen we have had in a long time, and I for one am excited for it (regardless of what I am playing on).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261