Feels like this update has taken forever to get out the door - but the day is finally here! As you'll note in the text that follows, there have been numerous updates to the site - in fact, there have been so many (both big and small) that it's very likely we've missed more than a few in this thread. So, if you come across something that was broken and is now suddenly fixed, or a cool new feature you hadn't seen before - consider it a VGChartz easter egg!!
The main purpose of this upgrade (and the reason it has taken so long) is we had to make some core upgrades, first - namely, it was time to move on from PHP 5 and upgrade to the latest version. Continuing to stay with the older version was simply never an option, but moving to the latest version was also not a simple update. Dozens of core functions weren't just changed, but were made totally obsolete and eliminated! And so it required a very thorough examination of all the website code and a team of people to help test that everything we corrected, still worked! So before we could even start thinking on how we wanted to improve the website for you all, we had to spend a considerable amount of time just ensuring the site would function after the upgrade.
It's taken a team of hard workers to get this where it is today, but we are not done! And the good news is that with this update complete, we'll now be able to get future changes out faster - we won't be held back because of the underlying upgrade, as that work will already be done.
Lastly, I just want to say there was a great team of guys that helped make all of this possible - I assure you, had they not been there to help me, this would NEVER have gotten done! I hesitate to start naming people, because I'm bound to forget (and insult) somebody -so I won't! ;)
...but @Ryuu96 is a royal pain in the ass, and I'll leave it at that!
1. Front Page
- General aesthetic improvements, less text, more images to catch attention and make it more visually appealing.
- Rearrangement of certain tabs.
- Latest Shipment Updates, Blast From The Past, Most Popular Games & Community Contributions now uniformly display 8 items each.
- "Latest User Reviews" & "Latest Database Updates" merged and also renamed to "Community Contributions".
- Charts - The old, out-of-date weekly, yearly & pre-order Chart sections have been combined and moved into a new 'Legacy' section at the bottom, for those who want to view historical charts.
- Charts - New Chart sections have been created to reflect the sales stuff we continue to produce, track, and cover.
- GameDB - Games used to be stuck on the top 10 games from our very last software chart. This has now been updated to display the most popular games in the GameDB, based on site traffic.
- GameDB - Platforms has been updated to add the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series X/S
- Click on the arrows to move left or right.
- Functionality wise it works similar to the older implementation but now there is more on display for people to see.
- For this display we've used the main forum indexes - Gaming Forum, Website Forum and Off-Topic Forum - to make it easier to navigate.
- Any topics hidden via filter list will still be hidden regardless of the forum index you choose to display here.
- "Latest Stories" on the right has been replaced with "Popular Stories".
- Top bar of articles is for most recent articles of the same type being viewed.
- Games mentioned in the article will now display on the right hand side (this is not yet shown in the image above).
- Send Message/Mod History has been moved, from the right corner to the three dash button (click to show options).
- Better tabs for quicker swapping of sections on profiles.
- Biography has been moved to above the friends list. Click the three dot tab to expand and show, click it again to shrink.
- Region displays on profile now.
- Cleaned the layout.
- Able to select multiple sorting options at once under "Consoles" and "Types"
- Profile Access/PM Access moved to Security Settings.
- Forum Options checkboxes moved inside Forum Options dropbox.
- Notifications checkboxes moved inside Notifications dropbox.
- Email moved to Security Settings.
- Hide Avatar Banners moved to Avatar Settings.
- Cleaned this section up.
- Gender can be changed.
- Twitter & Discord ID added.
- About Me, Hobbies, Favourites now use Rich Text boxes.
- Hide Banners moved to here.
- Able to pick from a history of previous avatars.
- Note: There will be dupes, which you can delete to clean things up if you so wish.
- "Update Avatar Settings" - Here you can crop (using circles or square shapes), flip, and preview your avatar.
Game Network Info
- Added Epic Game Store, YouTube, and Twitch IDs.
- Quickly change your site theme via the profile dropbox without refreshing or going to settings.
- You can now select up to 6 different badges through the badge tab to display in the forums via comments.
- Various bug fixes, such as the r/rn/ preview bug have been fixed.
6. Future Updates (Near Future)
There's a few ideas we ran out of time on implementing as we wanted to get the new refresh out, these updates will be considered as part of this refresh but coming slightly later, such as...
- Update to Hardware Chart on the front page, Series X|S and PS5 will be added, 3DS and Vita will be removed and the bar chart will display horizontally instead of vertically.
- Game Collection will be receiving a 'Stats' page with pie charts which will display certain stats in your collection, such as: Most Played Genres, Totals by Platforms, Ratings, etc. Feel free to suggest some ideas for stats that can be displayed as a pie chart.
- My Games will receive a small clean-up to the shelves.
- Members page has been moved to the responsive layout from the old layout, it is however still receiving updates, specifically to the layout of the filtering system which will arrive today or tomorrow.
Bug Reporting & Constructive Feedback
We've pretty extensively beta tested the redesign, but it's possible (maybe even probable) that you will come across some issues when it goes live. Please report any issues you have in this thread so that @TalonMan can check them out and fix them asap. By this we mean problems/bugs and genuine constructive feedback; please do not bother Talon with unconstructive complaints that x or y has changed and you want it reverted.Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 November 2020