By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz - Site Upgrade

Cerebralbore101 said:
trunkswd said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I love how there's a weekly chartz section for different countries. Does this mean articles like "Game X sells 10,000 copies on the Swiss chartz" won't wind up clogging the news feed? There's been a lot of articles in the past on this site that just weren't newsworthy or didn't really need to be pushing more important articles off the front page. I feel like giving them their own section of the front page off to the side is a really good compromise.

Edit: I just noticed that there more room for articles on the front page. Before the site update the limit looked like 17 articles. Now it's 24. Anyway hopefully between these two improvements the site becomes less clogged with articles that just aren't newsworthy, and nobody cares about. You know what I mean. All those articles that have 0 comments. There's 11 of them on the front page as we speak!

The front page used to display 14 articles under "latest stories." While the smaller news doesn't get as many views as bigger stories, a decent number of people have told me they are happy we report on smaller games. If you go into a specific article you will see on the side there is a new "Popular Stories" section that displays the most popular stories of the past week. 

I would love a personal settings option that just shows the popular news articles!

We could add something like that for a future update with a button to swap to Popular Stories and the different article types (News, Reviews, Sales, etc) for the "Latest Stories" on the front page. Right now the "Popular Stories" in the articles lists the most popular articles in order of views and not of when they were posted. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

2 things :1 this thread isn't visible in hot topics2 to enter this thread i had to accept a security warning, some nonsense about a certificate

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Site is/was pretty broken for me on Firefox (PC) as well as getting Security risk notifications. I couldn't even post this without quoting a random guy on page 2. I can't scroll down. The load is extremely slow.

After accepting the terms of use and cookies, it seems to be better except the extreme load times.

A couple minor issues that I noticed:

-The bar under forum posts (with the Thumbs Up, Reply, Quote, etc buttons) seems to have gotten a lot bigger for some reason

-The forum has stopped auto-truncating Quote Pyramids

EDIT: And hitting "Enter" in forum posts doesn't work when in quick post apparently...

kirby007 said:
2 things :1 this thread isn't visible in hot topics2 to enter this thread i had to accept a security warning, some nonsense about a certificate

1. Odd, it appears for me and it is marked 'Important' so it should appear everywhere, are you talking about Hot Topics viewed via front page? Do you have any things ticked off in filters?

Farsala said:

Site is/was pretty broken for me on Firefox (PC) as well as getting Security risk notifications. I couldn't even post this without quoting a random guy on page 2. I can't scroll down. The load is extremely slow.

After accepting the terms of use and cookies, it seems to be better except the extreme load times.

Yeah...That security risk shouldn't have happened, think it is fixed

Load sucks, we're aware, trying to find the cause. With the being unable to scroll, do you have any Adblock on?

Around the Network

Yeah, please fix the slow loading issue, that is really egregious and I needed to log into to say that. Overall, some changes seem OK, but honestly I personally don't like the change to what is "lower information density" which seems to favor more pictures but less text, which actually just means I am forced to scroll more to see all the articles or whatever, not very helpful and not "promoting engagement" for me. Want: more Functional ergonomics, less superficial happy design.

Ryuu96 said:
kirby007 said:

1. Odd, it appears for me and it is marked 'Important' so it should appear everywhere, are you talking about Hot Topics viewed via front page? Do you have any things ticked off in filters?

Farsala said:

Load sucks, we're aware, trying to find the cause. With the being unable to scroll, do you have any Adblock on?

no its not visible on hot topic in the forum pm me on discord if you want a picture cant add it here without reuploading it somewhere else

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

All the issues I was gonna inform of are no longer issues. =P Good job.

But I do have a suggestion. If it's possible, I'd make the right sidebar wider, so that the three buttons in the Community Contributions wouldn't be so condensed and the Forums menu would display three whole upper buttons, instead of two and a half. Also, that would give more visibility to the forums.

If that wouldn't be possible, however, I'd at least reduce the width of the upper buttons in the Forums menu, so that they would fit better in the existing space (three buttons at a time, instead of the current two and a half).

But it's just a suggestion. Apart from that (and the slowness already addressed), I think the new design in general is better than the previous one, specially on mobile devices, so good job again!

I have periods of social disconnection, it's a part of me that I need and keenly embrace. I'll still log in and read news and threads during those times, but I won't be (very) active on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause (late answers, bumps or the like).

Also...

Please, feel free to correct my English.

Ryuu96 said:
kirby007 said:

Farsala said:

Scrolling is fine after accepting terms of use and cookies.

Verter said:

All the issues I was gonna inform of are no longer issues. =P Good job.

But I do have a suggestion. If it's possible, I'd make the right sidebar wider, so that the three buttons in the Community Contributions wouldn't be so condensed and the Forums menu would display three whole upper buttons, instead of two and a half. Also, that would give more visibility to the forums.

If that wouldn't be possible, however, I'd at least reduce the width of the upper buttons in the Forums menu, so that they would fit better in the existing space (three buttons at a time, instead of the current two and a half).

But it's just a suggestion. Apart from that (and the slowness already addressed), I think the new design in general is better than the previous one, specially on mobile devices, so good job again!

I'm glad you were able to log-in in the end!

I like your suggestions, though I don't think the first one is possible. The second should be though.