By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassins Creed Valhalla runs at 30fps on Xbox Series S

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:
We now have an answer for why Series S is only 30 fps. Apparently Series S is using a dynamic resolution scaler that ranges from 1620p-2160p which hovers at the lower 1620p figure most of the time. The Series S was not designed for 1620p, it was designed to for either 1080p or 1440p depending on the game engine, with the same framerate and pretty much the same graphics as the Series X version. So Ubisoft chose to go against MS's recommendation of 1080p or 1440p on Series S and go for 1620p-2160p dynamic, with the tradeoff being lower a lower 30 fps framerate target. Maybe if enough people ask for it, Ubisoft will patch in a dynamic 1080p-1440p 60 fps performance mode or something.

So it is internally resolving the images at about 1620p but outputing at 1080p30fps? Very odd choice.

I don't think it outputs at 1080p, I assume it outputs at native resolution. The guy who made the video count couldn't have done a pixel count on it if it outputted at 1080p. 

Well then we just need to know if the best use would be playing on 1440p30fps monitor or have it upscaled to 4k30 on tv

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Damn that means Ubisoft is at fault as I thought. Looks like Series S won't be holding the gen back as much as people think

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

This was always the developer's choice. Just like EA chose not to have a 120fps mode for Star Wars: Squadrons on PS5 (even though it has one on Series S) and I haven't seen anyone implying that the PS5 can't do 120fps.

Otter said:
green_sky said:

Ubisoft open world game. What are series x and playstation 5 able to accomplish with this cross gen game?

Edit: Also if you really love 60 fps. You guys are gonna be so disappointed with lots of big AAA single player games on PS5 and Series X. 

4k 60fps. PS5 is confirmed to be upscaled 4k, so not sure what the native resolution is. 

But the FPS being cut in half is not what was marketed by MS, so I think it is muddy waters and could leave a bad taste in the mouth of those expecting parity outside of resolution. Lets see how often it happens

Do we have resolutions for all of them. TBH, that the PS5 is running at dynamic 4K alone implies the game is not as optimal as some might think. 

Updated the OP with the new info :)

Around the Network

"These options, available on PlayStation 5 plus Xbox Series X and S, will "adapt the resolution and graphics settings to maintain 60FPS" for Performance mode, or "enable the game to run maximum resolution and graphic settings while maintaining 30FPS" for Quality mode.

PS5 and Series X versions of Valhalla will be set by default to Performance mode. Series S will be set by default to Quality mode."

New patch that lets you choose between 30fps/60fps, interested to see how this performs on the Series S. I'd much rather have 1080p60 than the 1440p30 target. Though 30fps could drop as low as 1180p (highest about 1650p) so there's a question mark on how low that would go at 60fps.

shikamaru317 said:
Barkley said:

"These options, available on PlayStation 5 plus Xbox Series X and S, will "adapt the resolution and graphics settings to maintain 60FPS" for Performance mode, or "enable the game to run maximum resolution and graphic settings while maintaining 30FPS" for Quality mode.

PS5 and Series X versions of Valhalla will be set by default to Performance mode. Series S will be set by default to Quality mode."

New patch that lets you choose between 30fps/60fps, interested to see how this performs on the Series S. I'd much rather have 1080p60 than the 1440p30 target. Though 30fps could drop as low as 1180p (highest about 1650p) so there's a question mark on how low that would go at 60fps.

My guess, based on the resolution on XSX and the specs of S in comparison, is that S was already pretty close to 60 fps with the current 1180p to 1650p scaler, but it wasn’t quite locked so they capped it at 30 fps instead. I’m going to predict 900p-1440p scaler for S on 60 fps mode, maybe a bit higher on the bottom end.

That doesn't really make sense. If it was "close to 60 fps" then the dynamic resolution wouldn't be dropping. The only reason it drops to 1180p is cause that's how far it needs to drop to maintain 30fps... if it could stay at 30fps at 1200p it would only drop that far, if it could stay at 30fps at 1240p it would only drop that far etc etc. The dynamic resolution targets maintaining 30fps so if it is really "close to 60fps" then the thing is completely broken and not doing it's job at all.

It should be keeping resolution as high as it can while mainting 30fps, that's it's job. If at any point it would be close to even 45fps it's very poorly made.

Footage of the 60fps on Series S shows that they lowered other graphical settings, no idea what the pixel count is but using my eyeballs 900p-1080p.

Turns out it's 720p 60fps on Series S. (Dynamic 720p-8??p)

Last edited by Barkley - on 29 November 2020

Barkley said:

Turns out it's 720p 60fps on Series S. (Dynamic 720p-8??p)

962p was the very highest I counted in the starting area but my samples are admittedly smaller than DF's so won't be as accurate.