By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassins Creed Valhalla runs at 30fps on Xbox Series S

Anyone who buys a low-end console like the Xbox Series S obviously doesn't care about obtaining the best experience possible.
There was always going to be concessions made in order to hit that price-point... And for some people who might just play games like Fortnite or Minecraft, they might not care about 30fps.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Today Microsoft lost me as a customer.

I wonder how many of those 10-15 people liking this weekly comment take it at face value.

sales2099 said:
Lol who cares it’s the casual machine. Also I thought 30fps was the golden standard for certain fans?

Pemalite said:
Anyone who buys a low-end console like the Xbox Series S obviously doesn't care about obtaining the best experience possible.
There was always going to be concessions made in order to hit that price-point... And for some people who might just play games like Fortnite or Minecraft, they might not care about 30fps.

Regarding both statements: Up until now the understanding for many has been that S simply equates to a resolution drop and that is it. Of course its important to note that this is not the case for some games. No one is saying 30fps is unplayable or anything, but these difference in console performance (60fps vs 30fps) should be noted as some people would be comfortable with limiting themselves to full HD (for example those without 4k TVs), but not comfortable knowing that they're getting half the fps as well. This isn't how the S has been advertised or understood until now, hence the thread.

Otter said:
sales2099 said:
Lol who cares it’s the casual machine. Also I thought 30fps was the golden standard for certain fans?

Pemalite said:

Regarding both statements: Up until now the understanding for many has been that S simply equates to a resolution drop and that is it. Of course its important to note that this is not the case for some games. No one is saying 30fps is unplayable or anything, but these difference in console performance (60fps vs 30fps) should be noted as some people would be comfortable with limiting themselves to full HD (for example those without 4k TVs), but not comfortable knowing that they're getting half the fps as well. This isn't how the S has been advertised or understood until now, hence the thread.

I was under a impression it was resolution and FPS the entire time. Either way the target audience in theory neither notices and/or cares. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Otter said:

I was under a impression it was resolution and FPS the entire time. Either way the target audience in theory neither notices and/or cares. 

Funny thing, I could swear from the several threads that the promise was same fps because the CPU was the same and all the cuts would be on graphical aspects.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Funny thing, I could swear from the several threads that the promise was same fps because the CPU was the same and all the cuts would be on graphical aspects.

Huh, then that’s silly optimism on my people’s behalf. It’s a lofty promise for FPS to remain consistent with Series X for the next 7 years. In general the message seemed to be “same games, everything scaled down”. Much like PC games with Ultra and Medium settings. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Huh, then that’s silly optimism on my people’s behalf. It’s a lofty promise for FPS to remain consistent with Series X for the next 7 years. In general the message seemed to be “same games, everything scaled down”. Much like PC games with Ultra and Medium settings. 

Same CPU, weaker GPU. Most we have seem on VGC was people expecting Series S to have same framerate but 1/4 the resolution. Let's say you want crossplay, would Series S having 30fps versus Series X or PS5 in 60fps wouldn't do well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

sales2099 said:
Otter said:

From Microsoft themselves

“The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21428792/microsoft-xbox-series-s-specs-cpu-teraflops-performance-gpu

The communication has always been about resolution and clearly MS designed it with hitting the same FPS in mind, so its notable that in some cases its not. Fair enough if you already anticipated this, but i think many did not. I expected S and X might have slightly differing degrees of stabalisation but not completely different targets. 

As for target audience, I think thats a case of over simplifying the interest in S. Plenty of people do not have set ups which call for 4k but still appreciate 60fps, this is relevant for them, so I don't think it should be dismissed with a "who cares?". Some people who before may have been considering an S, may now be exclusively interested in an X. 

Otter said:
sales2099 said:
Otter said:

“The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21428792/microsoft-xbox-series-s-specs-cpu-teraflops-performance-gpu

The communication has always been about resolution and clearly MS designed it with hitting the same FPS in mind, so its notable that in some cases its not. Fair enough if you already anticipated this, but i think many did not. I expected S and X might have slightly differing degrees of stabalisation but not completely different targets. 

As for target audience, I think thats a case of over simplifying the interest in S. Plenty of people do not have set ups which call for 4k but still appreciate 60fps, this is relevant for them, so I don't think it should be dismissed with a "who cares?". Some people who before may have been considering an S, may now be exclusively interested in an X. 

I’d chalk it up to people who dont have an eye for PR. “The primary difference” meaning main, but not only difference. I remember plenty people saying 30 FPS for certain games, like a 3rd person open world adventure, being sufficient. 

But if this is a PSA for people who were expecting something else, then I suppose it’s better to clear the air before launch. 

sales2099 said:
Otter said:
sales2099 said:
Otter said:

I’d chalk it up to people who dont have an eye for PR. “The primary difference” meaning main, but not only difference. I remember plenty people saying 30 FPS for certain games, like a 3rd person open world adventure, being sufficient. 

But if this is a PSA for people who were expecting something else, then I suppose it’s better to clear the air before launch. 

We also had people claiming MS would enforce 60fps for all games.