By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassins Creed Valhalla runs at 30fps on Xbox Series S

sales2099 said:
Otter said:

From Microsoft themselves

“The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21428792/microsoft-xbox-series-s-specs-cpu-teraflops-performance-gpu

The communication has always been about resolution and clearly MS designed it with hitting the same FPS in mind, so its notable that in some cases its not. Fair enough if you already anticipated this, but i think many did not. I expected S and X might have slightly differing degrees of stabalisation but not completely different targets. 

As for target audience, I think thats a case of over simplifying the interest in S. Plenty of people do not have set ups which call for 4k but still appreciate 60fps, this is relevant for them, so I don't think it should be dismissed with a "who cares?". Some people who before may have been considering an S, may now be exclusively interested in an X. 

I’d chalk it up to people who dont have an eye for PR. “The primary difference” meaning main, but not only difference. I remember plenty people saying 30 FPS for certain games, like a 3rd person open world adventure, being sufficient. 

But if this is a PSA for people who were expecting something else, then I suppose it’s better to clear the air before launch. 

There's also a discussion to be had about the specs Microsoft targeted with S (obviously intended with fps parity in mind, same as what Nintendo did with Switch) and whether the specs were appropriate for the function they were aiming for, obviously keeping in mind MS first parties have far more time to optimise then 3rd party multiplats. That will be determined in time and whether it happens with more titles, for now we can assume its a fault of Ubi more then the shortcomings of the hardware balance.

Around the Network

lol at microsoft trying to hit that 300 price point to grab market share with total disregard for the customer/gamer. It's like Trump trying to win the presidency.

PotentHerbs said:
I wonder how the Series S holds up as the generation goes on.

I praise MS for making an affordable platform, but your pessimism about Series X is well founded. In the end, developers will end up making poor ports or not even doing them, if the console doesn't achieve a big installed base. 

Does anyone knows if games made for SX instantly run on SS with inferior settings or developers need to make ports? I think the amount of effort required to make games run on SS will determine its future.

zumnupy10 said:
PotentHerbs said:
I wonder how the Series S holds up as the generation goes on.

I praise MS for making an affordable platform, but your pessimism about Series X is well founded. In the end, developers will end up making poor ports or not even doing them, if the console doesn't achieve a big installed base. 

Does anyone knows if games made for SX instantly run on SS with inferior settings or developers need to make ports? I think the amount of effort required to make games run on SS will determine its future.

The developers make it, which is why AC is running at 30fps and DMC5 doesn't have ray tracing on it. Meanwhile the Series S version of Watchdogs has raytracing and all the bells and whistles of the X version, just at a dynamic 1080p resolution

Drakrami said:
lol at microsoft trying to hit that 300 price point to grab market share with total disregard for the customer/gamer. It's like Trump trying to win the presidency.

Total disregard is a bit dramatic don’t you think? It’s a very capable console, leaps better then the original Xbox One and even Xbox X. A $300 console with a SSD is a deal. You assume the people playing this console have an eye for this stuff like we do (they don’t). It’s a affordable next gen console with an SSD, and essentially a cheap Game Pass console if you want most bang for buck. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Drakrami said:

Total disregard is a bit dramatic don’t you think? It’s a very capable console, leaps better then the original Xbox One and even Xbox X. A $300 console with a SSD is a deal. You assume the people playing this console have an eye for this stuff like we do (they don’t). It’s a affordable next gen console with an SSD, and essentially a cheap Game Pass console if you want most bang for buck. 

Sorry but I can't agree that at the time of release X1 wasn't a subpar console compared to PS or PCs, Series S is a subpar console in hindsight.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I mean, you are paying cheaper for a reason.As times goes on, and assuming XBOx S proves to be popular, companies will get accoustomed to the hardware and invest more. But yeah, S is just stronger than the Switch compared to the other 9th gen consoles.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
Drakrami said:

Sorry but I can't agree that at the time of release X1 wasn't a subpar console compared to PS or PCs, Series S is a subpar console in hindsight.

Meh, if Nintendo can get away with weak hardware I think for what Series S can do for $300 I’d say it’s great for what you paying for. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
Drakrami said:

Meh, if Nintendo can get away with weak hardware I think for what Series S can do for $300 I’d say it’s great for what you paying for. 

Nintendo isn't directly competing and has portability in its favor.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't remember them ever marketing it as just a resolution difference. I remember them saying it would be the main or primary difference, but there's no way they could factually say the only difference would be resolution. Obviously because they can't control what resolution or frame rates third party companies make their games, nor should they.

It's crystal clear that if you're buying a SS, you should expect all the next gen bells and whistles of the SX, just at a lower resolution and in some cases, less graphical effects and frame rate. I can see future games having less resolution, no RT, lower frame rate. It's a phenomenal entry console for casual gamers but I think MS's plan is to eventually entice SS owners to upgrade. They basically have the phone model except instead of yearly upgrades with new models, they have their two models at launch. So you can use the SS and be happy for 2-3 years if you want and then upgrade. Or keep using the SS and be happy. Lets be honest, most of the target audience for the SS doesn't give a shit about RAM or TFLOP numbers or frame rates or RDNA2. They want a machine to play Fortnite and Calls of Doody and 2k on.