By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - A French teacher beheaded, chaos ensues, EU warns Turkey of sanctions

Imaginedvl said:
Eagle367 said:

I would just suggest you read the post above and also learn history and context of politics and why the middle east is the way it is and also learn about islam.

You do not need to suggest anything, I understand the context of the middle east and why it is how it is there (as much as I could at least) and as you keep calling Macron names, telling me that I need to learn or calling this other guy a "bigot" is not really helping your cause either.

The conversation is about France and other "western" countries where the problem is. And the fact that there is a history and "reason" for those countries to be like that does not make them less barbaric, I'm not even sure why you are telling me to "learn" more about it like this would make it different...
When something like that happens (way too often, and my country has been the target of many of those attacks in the past years (France)).
By crisis, Macron is telling this: The Islamic church needs to step up.

Why is that so offending to you. You keep saying how appealed the Islam church was when this happened in Nice, well guess what, nobody really saw that and that is one of the main issues (not saying it was not true, but the reality is that we just saw little of it from the outside world and this is part of the problem).

Because of those countries that are letting things go barbaric for any reason and when the religion is so intricate within politics, it completely overshadow any good will or act from Islamic leaders over the worlds that are BY FAR in minority at the end.

You keep calling Muslim countries barbaric when the real barbarism is the US starting a war in Iraq that killed a million plus Muslims. You also forget US, Saudi and Pakistan had a hand in creating the Al Qaeda and making them more even open to suicide which is against Islam. You also forget that the most affected people from the scummy terrorists are Muslims. For every attack in France, there are a few dozen to even hundreds in countries like Pakistan. And as I said even with vast overexxageration, only 20% does not a consensus make. Plus I told you to learn because usually knowledge is the best recipe for meaningless hate.

But I am sick and tired of my religion being used by scum for their own goals and also being attacked and used and mischaracterized by bad faith actors in the west while our community suffers the most from these scum acts. Like the west invades us and terrorists also kill us and then our religion is attacked as well. We are the followers of Islam and we know what our religion is, not terrorists or the west. It is not a religion in crisis and we can talk about it ourselves. We don't need white saviours. We define our religion and we are the ones that keep saying terrorists are not right about Islam but you all choose to believe the 0.005% who are scum instead of the 99.995%

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

I'm curious in what context that image of Mohammed was used, and was in a town/city where cultures live seperated from eachother?

Immersiveunreality said:
I'm curious in what context that image of Mohammed was used, and was in a town/city where cultures live seperated from eachother?

If its the one by charlie hedbo,....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo

its a cartoon titled : "Mahomet débordé par les intégristes" ("Muhammad overwhelmed by fundamentalists")

it shows a man (who you can assume to be muhammad) saying in a text bubble : "C'est dur d'être aimé par des cons" ("it's hard being loved by jerks").

Basically saying extreme muslims are going against the teachings of muhammed.
Its ment to be harmless and humorous.

It was a small local paper, that only sold like 100,000 copies.
The only reason it made the news (tv/media), was because people didnt expect, anyone to have the balls to do it.
(basically people fear extreme muslims so much, they dont even dare make harmless jokes)

This is the reason there was terrorist attacks, and buildings were bombed, mail bombs were sent, countless death threats ect.
People died because a artist, made use of his freedom of speach in this manner.
And because apparently, alot of muslims have a bad sense of humor (in this reguard) (or dont value freedoms, like freedom of speach).

Eagle367 said:

Sorry but you are just being ignorant and a bigot. Stop conflating all Muslims with terrorists and stop legitimizing the scummy terrorists as the representatives of a religion of about 2 billion people. Even if we accept the overly high number of 100,000 Muslims being terrorists, that's still 0.005% of Muslims. So about 99.995% of Muslims aren't terrorists and you're characterizing all Muslims based on a small minority. If my religion was the issue, it wouldn't e that low of a number.

Now let's say we also include the oppressive leaders that are Muslim and include even the armies of all Muslim nations as being oppressive, which is a stretch to say the least and also include all murderers that are Muslim, how much do you think that will be? At most it's 20 million and that's a huge huge stretch since one stat I looked had total Muslim soliders at 4.6million and that would mean 15.4 million other Muslims are murderers. So anyways, at this huge overexxageration, we stand at a GRAND total of 1%. So even with huge overestimations and being over the board, we get that 99% are peaceful. If you blame the religion based on that, you are just being biased and fooling yourself. 

Now let's say all Muslims that are even a bit abusive like they hit someone once in their life and that number is 400 million which again seems a HUGE overestimation, that's still 20%. So even going too far down the rabbit hole, Islam nor Muslims, which are different entities in a sense, cannot be justified as not being a religion of peace. There isn't a problem with Islam so much as a few sick individuals. Trying to force an issue even based on 20% of the people that follow the religion and not on the scholarly opinion of the religion nor on the majority of Muslims is just to force your own belief on something. I hope this basic demonstration shows how silly Macron and the terrorists and the people with the same opinion of Islam are being with thinking that that's what Islam is.

So instead of listening to terrorists about a religion, listen to the vast majority of people that follow it.

While it is true that it is a very small number of muslims that commit terrorism (though they are vastly overrepresented in this statistic as well), is terrorism or violence the only way extremism can manifest itself?
A survey in the UK, showed that 52 % of muslims in the country believed homosexuality should be illegal, only 18 % believed it should be legal. That's just unacceptable in my opinion, and clearly shows that islam needs to reform:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

I stand with Macron 100 % on this. Freedom of speech should not be up for discussion in Europe. Meeting a provocative drawing is healthy. If there is any value and strength in your religious views, they should not move you to anger if they get made fun of or get provoced. That's a humiliating, if you think your religion is so weak, that you need violence to protect it.
Islam should absolutely get criticized, as any religion should. And Macron does the right thing in attacking Islam, but not attacking muslims, many of which are good people.

It is nice to see the criticism of Islam moving away from the far rights, Le Pen, AfD, etc, who don't come from a place of good faith, but from hatred.

Around the Network

A great example why you shouldn't give religions any kind of respect in the first place. They will just feel legitimized and demand recognition and protection.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Eagle367 said:
JWeinCom said:

That's a no true Scotsman fallacy. You can't just discount anyone who doesn't condemn it as not representative of Islam.

I don't know if I buy that these people are merely a fringe group. There are currently 16 Islamic countries where blasphemy can be punished by imprisonment or death. I'm not saying all of them would necessarily endorse beheading for drawing Muhammed, but that's a big chunk of the Muslim world where it would be illegal, and it's not surprising that kind of backdrop can foster extremism.

You didn't understand my point. I didn't say that anyone not condemning it is not a true scholar of Islam, I said all true scholars of Islam condemned it because it doesn't fall into any mainstream interpretation of Islam. And to be frank with you, leaders of the Muslim world  aren't the best representatives of Islam because they have a lot of unislamic things going for them. Like in Pakistan, Zia Ul Haq just made laws that sounded like islamic doctrine aka pseudo-shariah to give power and credence to his dictatorship, and the wahabism of Saudi Arabia isn't really an old and accepted mainstream scholarly position. It's a "reform" of Islam. It's new age Islam which isn't that compatible with old Islam. You can check you Sheikh Hammadi as an example of a scholar with knowledge.

And a true scholar has nothing to do with whether they condemn the attacks or not but rather how much knowledge they have of the subject.

And, that's still a no true scotsman fallacy. Anything that people derive from Islam that you don't agree with is not "real" Islam. Anyone who studies it and comes to an extremist interpretation is not a "true" scholar". 

I have not read much of the Quran, but am fairly familiar with the Torah and New Testament. And, depending on which parts you want to cherrypick you can justify kindness and respect, or violence and extremism. I would imagine Islam is similar. And when the book is placed on a pedestal where it is beyond question, that allows both interpretations to thrive. 

Pemalite said:
JWeinCom said:

That's a no true Scotsman fallacy. You can't just discount anyone who doesn't condemn it as not representative of Islam.

I don't know if I buy that these people are merely a fringe group. There are currently 16 Islamic countries where blasphemy can be punished by imprisonment or death. I'm not saying all of them would necessarily endorse beheading for drawing Muhammed, but that's a big chunk of the Muslim world where it would be illegal, and it's not surprising that kind of backdrop can foster extremism.

Islam is based on the Abrahamic faith.. More specifically the same religious context as the Bibles old testament and the Jewish Torah (Which was the first of the 3 religions.)

Where the Bible differs is with the New Testament.

The religion isn't the problem... It's the fact most Islamic nations are developing nations... And developing nations tend to have poorer human-rights standards... I mean you have a plethora of African nations which are primarily Christian and they use that religion to recruit child soldiers, behead people and more.

The religion isn't the problem. Religious extremism is the problem, ironically it's a right-wing religious problem. - Terrorists tend to be right-wing religious extremists... And that should be shut down.

There are a lot of Islamic nations that are not developing that still have poor human rights records, particularly in regards to religious freedom. Saudi Arabia, and UAE for example. Iran and Qatar would be really pushing the boundaries of what you can call a developing nation. They're not really comparable to the kind of failed states in Africa. And the kind of extremism that actually goes on inside those failed states doesn't tend, as of yet, to escape them. This is likely due to to the nature of religion. The idea of a Christendom has been out of favor for centuries, but the idea of a Caliphate is alive and well. 

If religious extremism is the problem, then the best solution is to allow for robust and unrestricted criticism of religion. The less people are exposed to competing ideas, the more likely they are to become extreme.

Eagle367 said:
Imaginedvl said:

You do not need to suggest anything, I understand the context of the middle east and why it is how it is there (as much as I could at least) and as you keep calling Macron names, telling me that I need to learn or calling this other guy a "bigot" is not really helping your cause either.

The conversation is about France and other "western" countries where the problem is. And the fact that there is a history and "reason" for those countries to be like that does not make them less barbaric, I'm not even sure why you are telling me to "learn" more about it like this would make it different...
When something like that happens (way too often, and my country has been the target of many of those attacks in the past years (France)).
By crisis, Macron is telling this: The Islamic church needs to step up.

Why is that so offending to you. You keep saying how appealed the Islam church was when this happened in Nice, well guess what, nobody really saw that and that is one of the main issues (not saying it was not true, but the reality is that we just saw little of it from the outside world and this is part of the problem).

Because of those countries that are letting things go barbaric for any reason and when the religion is so intricate within politics, it completely overshadow any good will or act from Islamic leaders over the worlds that are BY FAR in minority at the end.

You keep calling Muslim countries barbaric when the real barbarism is the US starting a war in Iraq that killed a million plus Muslims. You also forget US, Saudi and Pakistan had a hand in creating the Al Qaeda and making them more even open to suicide which is against Islam. You also forget that the most affected people from the scummy terrorists are Muslims. For every attack in France, there are a few dozen to even hundreds in countries like Pakistan. And as I said even with vast overexxageration, only 20% does not a consensus make. Plus I told you to learn because usually knowledge is the best recipe for meaningless hate.

But I am sick and tired of my religion being used by scum for their own goals and also being attacked and used and mischaracterized by bad faith actors in the west while our community suffers the most from these scum acts. Like the west invades us and terrorists also kill us and then our religion is attacked as well. We are the followers of Islam and we know what our religion is, not terrorists or the west. It is not a religion in crisis and we can talk about it ourselves. We don't need white saviours. We define our religion and we are the ones that keep saying terrorists are not right about Islam but you all choose to believe the 0.005% who are scum instead of the 99.995%

You are assuming a lot of things and you think that people need to learn to agree with you is simply wrong.

- You are using "hate" a lot. I do not think I said anything about hating Muslims, Islam or even religions in general. No, I do not hate Islam or Muslims.
Thinking that something needs to change is different from hating...

- You keep saying that I should learn to basically change my opinion. So you start off with the assumption that because I disagree with you, I need to learn which is why we have a different opinion. No, I do not need to learn, I completely disagree with you on several topics and I already explained myself. And while I am in the center of this like you are (Muslim community), I am (like all France) impacted by it. Don't pretend you are the victim here (or at least the only one).

- If you believe the US is barbaric too fine. But again, the discussion is not about that right now. And you call what the US did "real" barbarism, that's on you. Cause while I also disagree with several of the US moves and stands (and agree that what they did is bad). I find what is going in the majority of Muslim countries WAY more barbaric based on my personal conviction and believes; also again, just because probably the number of attacks in Pakistan and other countries are way worse (and more often than in France) does not make it less important. And this is the point of the discussion today, I'm not going to ignore it cause it is actually worse somewhere else. It does not make it right in the first place, sorry.

No, I do not need to learn, I already did that. And I am honestly very sorry about the impact of terrorism on your religion and your community; it is very unfair too. I have friends that are Muslims and they are in the same boat and they are the nicest people I know. But they also believe that something needs to change. 

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 01 November 2020

I am done with this stupid thread. It's just exhausting screaming at walls. I tell people to increase their knowledge so they are better informed about the religion they love to attack and their response is no, their level of ignorance about the religion is ok. If you can't increase your knowledge about the things you criticize, then it's a misinformed opinion and shouldn't hold any water or value. Learning is how you make an informed decision and not one based on what other people say, and one based on prejudice and one based on misinformation. السلام وعلیکم everyone, I'm out

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Religion is for the weak minded and the weak minded shouldn't have any freedom but to move around in their singular cells.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.