By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - On the Subject of PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Bandorr said:
Replicant said:

Not complete BC though but I guess you are aware of that?

XSX has BC with:
All XB1 games (except Kinect games)
~25% of Xbox 360 games
41 original Xbox games

Still better than PS5 BC but far from complete.

Better is subjective. Someone crunched the numbers and the PS4 games alone out number XB, XB1, and XB360 combined.

That's before factoring in other games.  I think there are several PS2 games that are BC as well. And maybe even PS1? I'm not sure since I don't keep up with BC very well.

There are no PS2 BC games.  You can buy digital versions, but in no way can you put your PS2 disc into your PS5 and play the game.  You have to re buy it, and therefore is not BC.  With the XSX however, every BC game will allow you to play without rebuying if you have your old disc.  When it comes to actual BC, MS is destroying Sony in that department.

Last edited by Shiken - on 01 November 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Replicant said:

Not complete BC though but I guess you are aware of that?

XSX has BC with:
All XB1 games (except Kinect games)
~25% of Xbox 360 games
41 original Xbox games

Still better than PS5 BC but far from complete.

Unlike Sony however, MS is showing initiative to move forward with BC.  Overtime the available library will become closer to complete than a lot of people think.

With the PS5 however, what you see is what you get outside of potential streaming qith PSNow.  And that is a far cry from being able to run the games natively on the console, or use your old disc to claim ownership.

Oh, I'm not saying otherwise. It just sounded like you thought it had BC with 3 generations of games.

I've seen other people get disappointed about that. But no risk of that if you already knew. 👍

Bandorr said:
Shiken said:

There are no PS2 BC games.  You can buy digital versions, but in no way can you put your PS2 disc into your PS5 and play the game.  You have to re buy it, and therefore is not BC.  With the XSX/S however, every BC game will allow you to play without rebuying if you have your old disc.

An odd argument to say the least. Playing a ps2 game on a PS4 isn't backwards compatible.. because it is digital?

What do you call playing older generation on new generation consoles that are digital if you are gate-keeping the phrase backwards compatible?

Very simple, I would have to REBUY that game digitally to play it instead of just popping my disk in and playing.  You cannot put a PS2 game into your PS4 and play it, so it is not BC.

You are basically being forced to rebuy emulated ports of games you already have.  By your logic, one can say the Switch is BC with the Wii, GC, and N64 because Super Mario 3D Allstars is just a compilation of emulated ports that we have to rebuy.

So again, there is no BC on the PS4, and only PS4 BC on the PS5.  Backwards compatibility and digital ports you have to rebuy are not the same thing, and honestly seems like a desperate attempt at downplay to what MS is doing.

Bandorr said:
Shiken said:

Very simple, I would have to REBUY that game digitally to play it instead of just popping my disk in and playing.  You cannot put a PS2 game into your PS4 and play it, so it is not BC.

You are basically being forced to rebuy emulated ports of games you already have.  By your logic, one can say the Switch is BC with the Wii, GC, and N64 because Super Mario 3D Allstars is just a compilation of emulated ports that we have to rebuy.

So again, there is no BC on the PS4, and only PS4 BC on the PS5.  Backwards compatibility and digital ports you have to rebuy are not the same thing, and honestly seems like a desperate attempt at downplay to what MS is doing.

"seems like a desperate attempt" yeah I was just thinking those same words...

So if someone buys a PS2 game online. Never owning the disk. And years later they are able to still play that on the PS4. .. That isn't backwards compatible?

Yes "seems like a desperate attempt" is a very accurate description indeed..

In the case of that, I suppose it would be fair to say the PS5 has limited DIGITAL BC, while XSX has FULL BC for the games supported.  I do not buy many digital games, so for me the PS4 has zero BC.  At the end of the day, MS approach is objectively superior overall as it caters to a much larger number of consumers.

Last edited by Shiken - on 01 November 2020

Bandorr said:
Shiken said:

So if someone buys a PS2 game online. Never owning the disk. And years later they are able to still play that on the PS4. .. That isn't backwards compatible?

If a Ps2 game is ported to the ps4, say GTA:San Andreas, is it not a ps4 game now? You still need to rebuy it even if you owned the game before. 

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

So you bought a PS2 game digitally on your PS2 and it works on your PS4? Or did you buy a PS2 game on the PS4 digitally that was designed to work on it? It looks like you don't understand backwards compatibility.  A PS2 game purchased on the PS4 digitally was a PS4 game and should work on the PS5.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Does ordering a psvr adapter work for anyone else? Anyone have PSVR lol?

This link responds
https://global.support.playstation.com/s/pscamera-adaptor?language=en_US
and lets me fill out my Canadian Address, but doesn't accept Canadian postal codes so you can't complete the form.
(it accepts a maximum of 5 alphanumeric characters, Canadian postal codes use 6)

When I change the langue to EN-CA, I get this link, but this one never loads
https://global.support.playstation.com/s/pscamera-adaptor?language=en_CA

I'm getting less and less interested in buying into next gen at this point.

This might explain it, Sony Canada is down

Sorry

The Sony site is temporarily under construction Please check back later.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 01 November 2020

DroidKnight said:
Bandorr said:

So you bought a PS2 game digitally on your PS2 and it works on your PS4? Or did you buy a PS2 game on the PS4 digitally that was designed to work on it? It looks like you don't understand backwards compatibility.  A PS2 game purchased on the PS4 digitally was a PS4 game and should work on the PS5.  

It's the same with XBox BC, except you don't buy the game. You still need to download a version compiled for the One and Series. The disk only prompts a download. So by your definition XBox One and Series don't have BC at all, just free updates for lazy remasters ;p

SvennoJ said:

It's the same with XBox BC, except you don't buy the game. You still need to download a version compiled for the One and Series. The disk only prompts a download. So by your definition XBox One and Series don't have BC at all, just free updates for lazy remasters ;p

When you typed the "except you don't buy the game" should have been a dead giveaway for you. Lol.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
SvennoJ said:

When you typed the "except you don't buy the game" should have been a dead giveaway for you. Lol.

So if I give you the game for free, it is backwards compatible?

In fact you cannot play BC games without an internet connection on XBox One. The disc is useless on its own.

And games sold on GOG are not BC either on PC?